Medical Care in The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2011, 07:53 AM

Hello fellow Villagers,

I'm new to the Villages and am slowly finding my feet around here. We love it here.

I read the above posts and thank every one for posting, it is very helpful.

Now, my question is who's a GREAT chiropractor around here?

I left the best chiropractor in the world where I came from and need a replacement ASAP as I can no longer sleep due to my back being out of alignment.

If anyone can suggest a really EFFECTIVE one, I would be forever in your debt.

Thanks so much !
Old 03-12-2011, 12:33 PM
Gold member

Wife and I have been very happy with the care given by R. Kim Etheredge, D.C. He has offices at LSL and Fruitland Park.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:18 PM

Ditto on Etheredge Chiropractic.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo35 View Post
The following is nothing more than a personal assessment of general medical care in The Villages. My own experiences, biases and opinions shape the tone. It is meant to do no harm but rather to encourage the focusing of energy into improving our system. I would be delighted if but one future Villager found it helpful in some way.

Five or is it six years ago, when we purchased our home in the Villages, a concern was the quality of medical care available here. We were getting long of tooth and leaving the Northeast's world class care options like Columbia-Presbyterian, The Kessler Institute, Mt. Sinai Medical Center, Memorial Sloan-Kettering and others. Over many years we had established relationships with a wide assortment of medical professionals we have great confidence in.

When we first arrived, we realized that medical care in The Villages was going through growing pains and a metamorphosis of sorts. After research, trial and error, we found a great General Practitioner. At that time it wasn't easy because it seemed like no one was taking new patients. Since then, we have secured quality medical and dental care that we are very confident in. In some cases, the exchange of medical information here on TOTV was very helpful. We also discussed options with our new GP, friends and neighbors.

Initially, reports on hospital care suggested mediocrity at best. We were advised by many including medical and emergency service professionals to go to Leesburg Hospital for emergency heart and medical treatment. Since that time, we have witnessed positive changes in the level of emergency care at The Villages Hospital. I recall a public recognition and acknowledgement of the problem by hospital administrators. There were staff and leadership changes. It appeared someone was paying attention. The same sources that suggested Leesburg as the first option, now say improvements have placed The Villages Hospital on a par with their sister care center. Personally, I now have confidence in both facilities. They are part of the Central Florida Health Alliance. Someone more conversant may want to explain the relationship in more detail.

I guess that recent comparisons would be based on personal experience. On that note, I did have an emergency admission at The Villages Hospital. First, on entry to the hospital, I routinely reached for my insurance card and was waved off and told we're going to take care of you first. That is a first for me. I was then promptly taken to an examination room where in less than 5 minutes I was being examined by a physician. I realize that every experience may not be the same, but if my treatment was more typical than not, I would have to say the experience was exceptional. I have heard of many positive reports and a few that might not agree. On balance there seems to be more positive than negative.

Medical care is a very personal thing. In that regard, The Villages offer an extraordinary number of options. There are abundant specialty alternatives available. All of them are easily accessible....most by golf cart. If you haven't gone to the doctor or dentist in a golf cart......it's different.

Arguably, our town is the most rapidly growing community of its kind in America. Consistent with that distinction are growing pains that surface when medical services try to keep up. Mistakes are made. Markets, watchdogs and balanced media should play a role in molding and elevating the caliber of care. Energy, especially at our age, is likely better spent on improving the system then wasted on blanket vilification of what is wrong. When I was young and very angry over a chain of events, my father told me to step back. He then said, "Never tear something down unless you can offer to build it better." I know, almost every body's father told them that at some time in their life. Our fathers were very smart. They must have gone to school together. Here's to our fathers and building it better.

If you got this far, thank you for indulging the ramblings of a Villager with no tee time today.

Have a great day.
Great post and thank you.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo35 View Post
The following is nothing more than a personal assessment of general medical care in The Villages. My own experiences, biases and opinions shape the tone. It is meant to do no harm but rather to encourage the focusing of energy into improving our system. I would be delighted if but one future Villager found it helpful in some way.

Five or is it six years ago, when we purchased our home in the Villages, a concern was the quality of medical care available here. We were getting long of tooth and leaving the Northeast's world class care options like Columbia-Presbyterian, The Kessler Institute, Mt. Sinai Medical Center, Memorial Sloan-Kettering and others. Over many years we had established relationships with a wide assortment of medical professionals we have great confidence in.

When we first arrived, we realized that medical care in The Villages was going through growing pains and a metamorphosis of sorts. After research, trial and error, we found a great General Practitioner. At that time it wasn't easy because it seemed like no one was taking new patients. Since then, we have secured quality medical and dental care that we are very confident in. In some cases, the exchange of medical information here on TOTV was very helpful. We also discussed options with our new GP, friends and neighbors.

Initially, reports on hospital care suggested mediocrity at best. We were advised by many including medical and emergency service professionals to go to Leesburg Hospital for emergency heart and medical treatment. Since that time, we have witnessed positive changes in the level of emergency care at The Villages Hospital. I recall a public recognition and acknowledgement of the problem by hospital administrators. There were staff and leadership changes. It appeared someone was paying attention. The same sources that suggested Leesburg as the first option, now say improvements have placed The Villages Hospital on a par with their sister care center. Personally, I now have confidence in both facilities. They are part of the Central Florida Health Alliance. Someone more conversant may want to explain the relationship in more detail.

I guess that recent comparisons would be based on personal experience. On that note, I did have an emergency admission at The Villages Hospital. First, on entry to the hospital, I routinely reached for my insurance card and was waved off and told we're going to take care of you first. That is a first for me. I was then promptly taken to an examination room where in less than 5 minutes I was being examined by a physician. I realize that every experience may not be the same, but if my treatment was more typical than not, I would have to say the experience was exceptional. I have heard of many positive reports and a few that might not agree. On balance there seems to be more positive than negative.

Medical care is a very personal thing. In that regard, The Villages offer an extraordinary number of options. There are abundant specialty alternatives available. All of them are easily accessible....most by golf cart. If you haven't gone to the doctor or dentist in a golf cart......it's different.

Arguably, our town is the most rapidly growing community of its kind in America. Consistent with that distinction are growing pains that surface when medical services try to keep up. Mistakes are made. Markets, watchdogs and balanced media should play a role in molding and elevating the caliber of care. Energy, especially at our age, is likely better spent on improving the system then wasted on blanket vilification of what is wrong. When I was young and very angry over a chain of events, my father told me to step back. He then said, "Never tear something down unless you can offer to build it better." I know, almost every body's father told them that at some time in their life. Our fathers were very smart. They must have gone to school together. Here's to our fathers and building it better.

If you got this far, thank you for indulging the ramblings of a Villager with no tee time today.

Have a great day.
Dear Cabo.

I found your post insightful, considered, personal and food for thought. Medical care was and is a huge consideration for us in making the move here to a full time home.

I believe that several years ago the doctors who practiced around this area did not have the education and background that I would choose as....excellent. I am a person who has been called a doctor picky person.

Now someone is going to say that there are good doctors who don't graduate from the top five medical schools in this country and I will agree. But, there are people in the the lower fourth of the class, people from another country who are getting established and other medical personnel who just couldn't get a position at a prestigious medical facility. They often start in small rural areas. And many of them become excellent. And some don't.

So when my loved ones have life threatening physical problems I want the best available. I have learned a lot about cardiac surgery, renal surgery, and cancer care and I feel satisfied that the people who are close to me have received the best that we could give them.

As this area grows to be as big as many cities in Florida, it is attracting more skilled medical personnel. So our growth is very good to improve the medical care in our area. I think it is good now and getting better every day.

I learned early on that you have a much better chance to survive if the doctor and facility have seen many, many, cases of the exact malady that you have. That is the reason that I was always told to seek a large teaching hospital for Helene's severe congenital supra valvar aortic stenosis. We did. She is here with us. I want to keep the good times going.

You are right Cabo. It is personal. We don't have time to get a medical degree when we are diagnosed with cancer. We have to seek the best care that we can get.

Many areas with population of 100 thousand people have more than one facility for cancer, heart, arthritis, eye surgery etc. etc. I think the competition keeps them seeking higher accreditation....and we can't lose sight of the fact that medical care is a business.

Just my very personal view too.

These two posts sure eased my mind as a future Tv'er.

Thank you cabo35 and Gracie.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:04 PM

Russ, what practice do you work in?

Searching for a doctor is like going through a 4th class directory. If I'd have known it was this bad, I'd have rethought buying here....

I think the quality of doctor's here is less than US standards...at least in GP or Internist choices.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger_kitty View Post

Searching for a doctor is like going through a 4th class directory. If I'd have known it was this bad, I'd have rethought buying here....

I think the quality of doctor's here is less than US standards...at least in GP or Internist choices.
There are bad apples in every basket. We are very happy with the doctors that we have had contact with in TV. You just need to keep looking and ask neighbors who they recommend.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Medical Care

Wife and I move here 19 months ago. ALL of the doctors we've found have been far better then what we had on Long Island. Both their staff and equipment have been top notch. I'v got cardio, ortho, urologist, general and today on very short notice I found a great Dentist ( thanks to recomendations from totv ). My wife found a cardio, GP, and internist. I also had the pleasure of using TVRH day surgery for a recent knee operation. As I said I found ALL of our Drs to be very good. Maybe it's just luck on our part or the Dr's we had up north were that bad. Just our opinions
Old 04-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default hooray!

I was glad to hear that so many are happy with their docs. While I was there 2 weeks ago, a man at the pool did nothing but complain about how bad the health care was there. He went on to say that of course he was from New York and was used to The Best in the World. Well I am a nurse sooo all of this concerns me.

Just another thought...it is a bit negative so help me out here. Since most patients are under Medicare....it seems like a "One Horse Town" so to speak and wonder if things go bad for Medicare if the docs will leave. If docs can't cover their expenses....Medicare does not reimburse adequately this could be a huge issue. BTW....I don't want this to go political....but it is a concern so please stay generic.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:31 PM

If everyone who is pleased with their doctors would specify the doctor's name it would be helpful to those of us who continue to search for someone we can be happy with. Thanks!
Old 04-18-2011, 01:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger_kitty View Post

Not there yet.

Search around TOTV and you'll see lots of suggestions on good GPs.

As far as medicare changes go - yes I see some adjustments but I would really doubt a mass exodus in local docs. Just TOO many patients in one concentrated area.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Drs

Dr Cowin Ortho
Dr Paulk Urologist
Dr Smolarski GP
Dr Vishnu Yelamanchi Cardio
Dr Yalini Yelamanchi Internist
Dr Baskar Gastro
Colony Modern Dentistry

Just my opinion
Old 10-23-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canukistan View Post
Hello fellow Villagers,

I'm new to the Villages and am slowly finding my feet around here. We love it here.

I read the above posts and thank every one for posting, it is very helpful.

Now, my question is who's a GREAT chiropractor around here?

I left the best chiropractor in the world where I came from and need a replacement ASAP as I can no longer sleep due to my back being out of alignment.

If anyone can suggest a really EFFECTIVE one, I would be forever in your debt.

Thanks so much !
I NEVER believed in chiropractic care until I met Dr, Liz McLeod at McKenney Chiropractic in Belleview (352-245-8955)
Old 10-25-2011, 08:35 AM
Veteran member

Speaking of medical care; my son, who is currently in paramedic school and employed by Marion County Fire Rescue, told me those new Sumter county EMS transport trucks (blue & yellows), only carry a "jump bag." They carry virtually no EMS supplies on board.

I think it's about time the Villages Fire Dept. handles their own transport to hospitals. That's where the money is made for fire depts.

If I go down with a heart attack, I hope it's not in Sumter county.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
I've been working in a medical practice for the past year. We have dozens of providers. And you know what? Every patient says the same thing "I think I have the best doc in this place". It's human nature to think that you've made the right decision when it comes to your own health care.
It is indeed human nature....and cognitive dissonance reduction! I have had occassion to see two doctors here.. One I was not at all impressed with. He was dictating his notes BEFORE he said word one to me! The other seemed very through and on top of things. I am hoping for the best.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.