L5-S1 fusion surgery?

Closed Thread
Old 08-23-2019, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,741 Times in 1,382 Posts
Default L5-S1 fusion surgery?

My sister, age 82, has been having low back issues for many years on and off. During the last 18 months she tried PT and could not continue due to the pain. Then facet joint at L5-S1 injections. They did very well, initially. She had it done about every 4 months. The last one was the least effective and did not last more than a week.

The neurosurgeon who has been with her through it all said the last resort of surgery is now the solution. He has recommended fusion with instrumentation (screws with rods attached). He also said to do the open surgery and not the non invasive because of the amount of "cleaning up" required in the fusion area.

1 1/2 hour surgery. Two days in hospital. Up and about within a couple hours of the surgery...walk....walk....WALK. Almost no limitations when going home. Drive when able/comfortable. Resume normalcy as she feels capable.

I told her I would do some research to help her make an informed decision.

Comments regarding any similar experience would be appreciated.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:45 AM

I had the surgery and had no problem. I was up a few hours after the surgery and only spent one night in the hospital. I had Dr. Oliver from Ocala Neurological Center do the surgery. He is the best for backs.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:11 AM

Who is your neurosurgeon?
Old 08-24-2019, 06:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,741 Times in 1,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewk View Post
Who is your neurosurgeon?

When my sister lived here she was seeing Dr. Robertson at Ocala Neurological Center.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:53 PM

Dr Reddy did my surgery. Non evasive using a robotic assistant. One night at Ocala Regional Hospital.

Tags
surgery, fusion, walk, months, l5-s1

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.