Medicare coverage when traveling in Canada? On a cruise?

Closed Thread
Old 04-17-2018, 07:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts
Default Medicare coverage when traveling in Canada? On a cruise?

I have read the guidelines provided by medicare. They seem pretty specific (3 conditions) with lattitude on Medicare admin part.

We have cruised frequently and never gave it a thought until brought up in discussion last night with friends.
Also this summer we will be traveling throughout Nova Scotia and want to become knowledgeable about coverage while traveling in Canada.

If you have had occasion to need to use medicare away from the USA would you share your experience.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

I slipped and fell in a condo in Puerto Vallarta Mexico and had two cracked ribs plus collapsed lung, went to nearby emergency room at Hospital, stayed 3 days. I had to pay $6000 bill with credit card but Medicare Advantage insurance reimbursed me 95% of bill after I submitted a claim. Most of them cover emergency room visits abroad, just call your provider.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We buy travel insurance. Try who you booked your trip through
Old 04-17-2018, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I have read the guidelines provided by medicare. They seem pretty specific (3 conditions) with lattitude on Medicare admin part.

We have cruised frequently and never gave it a thought until brought up in discussion last night with friends.
Also this summer we will be traveling throughout Nova Scotia and want to become knowledgeable about coverage while traveling in Canada.

If you have had occasion to need to use medicare away from the USA would you share your experience.
This might help...

"Medicare usually does not cover medical care you receive when traveling outside the U.S. and its territories. However, Original Medicare and Medicare Advantage Plans must cover care you receive outside the U.S. in certain circumstances:

Medicare will pay for emergency services in Canada if you are traveling a direct route, without unreasonable delay, between Alaska and another state, and the closest hospital that can treat you is in Canada.

Medicare will pay for medical care you get on a cruise ship if you get the care while the ship is in U.S. territorial waters. This means the ship is in a U.S. port or within six hours of arrival at or departure from a U.S. port.

In limited situations, Medicare may pay for non-emergency inpatient services in a foreign hospital (and any connected provider and ambulance costs). Your care is covered if the hospital is closer to your residence than the nearest available U.S. hospital. This may happen if, for example, you live near the border of Mexico or Canada.

Traveling with Medicare - Medicare Interactive

Travel (when you need health care outside the U.S.) | Medicare.gov
Old 04-17-2018, 12:51 PM
Default Allianz

Allianz has some interesting annual plans. $450 household, covers travel over 100 miles for a year. $250 if you forgo trip cancellation/interruption. Ironically, other coverage is improved.

Travel Insurance - Affordable Plans Starting at $17‎ | Allianz Global Assistance
Old 05-07-2018, 02:25 PM
Location: Currently in Sarasota, FL, possibly relocating to The Villages in September, 2018

I've been a licensed agent for many years, it depends on your supplemental plan:

If you have only Original Medicare (Parts A and B with no supplemental plan): no coverage outside of the United States

If you have Medicare Part C (Medicare Advantage): the plan will cover Emergency and Urgent Care outside of the United States as if you are in-network; you may have to pay the bill, however, and get reimbursement from the insurance company.

If you have a Medicare Supplement (Medigap plan): the supplement will cover 80% of the cost (up to $50,000 maximum).
Closed Thread

Tags
medicare, traveling, coverage, canada, scotia

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.