Cost of Crowns and Dentist Recommendations

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2019, 10:52 AM
Default Cost of Crowns and Dentist Recommendations

Went to a new dentist and they recommended I have three crowns put in. Cost: $3600. Having never had crowns and knowing there are a lot of unreputable dentists in the area, I don't know if this is a fair price.

I am a bit wary because the crowns were the only thing in their pitch. Never even mentioned having a cleaning done. .

Any thoughts on this and recommendations for a trustworthy, professional dentist?
Old 10-30-2019, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

I have found that Dentists in The Villages are expensive and love to up sell. It's part of the convenient charge for being close and maybe golf cart accessible. I use Dr. Timothy Pruitt, 15820 Dora Ave, Suite A, Tavares FL 32778 (352) 589-5660. Yes it is 45 minutes from here but several of my neighbors have gone to him and stayed. There are 3 dentists and the philosophy of the practice is to give fair prices and establish a shared development for treatments. I have had two crowns over the last 5 years and didn't come close to $3600, in fact I think both were just slightly over 4. Neither required a root canal which would be additional. Staff is competent and friendly and the doctors are young (of course so is everyone compared to me). Dr. Pruitt's practice is worth including in your investigation and search.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-30-2019, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

I go to Dr. Lunsford in Leesburg. He did a crown for $895. Some dentists in The Villages definitely try to upsell. Some will want to do crowns that aren't needed and "deep cleanings" that I never even heard of until I moved here. A deep cleaning can cost over $1,000 and it is not even done by the dentist.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,012 Times in 1,739 Posts

Get a second opinion.

Let me tell you my story. I have one crown from many years ago and a couple of fillings. My long time dentist retired to travel the world and I needed someone new. I went to someone near by. He took X-rays and immediately recommended I change my crown and a filling too, right away! He showed me my X-rays and pointed out the long vertical shaded areas as THE problem. I don’t know anything about teeth X-rays so I googled it later and made appointment with another dentist for a second opinion. Google indicated that these shaded vertical areas on the teeth are normal. The new dentist took new X-rays I paid twice for the same thing, and the second dentist agreed with google that everything was fine. My teeth still feel good but I am angry at that first dentist. There’ll be lots of input from me about him. (He did the same thing to my husband.)
Old 10-30-2019, 11:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Get a second opinion.

Let me tell you my story. I have one crown from many years ago and a couple of fillings. My long time dentist retired to travel the world and I needed someone new. I went to someone near by. He took X-rays and immediately recommended I change my crown and a filling too, right away! He showed me my X-rays and pointed out the long vertical shaded areas as THE problem. I don’t know anything about teeth X-rays so I googled it later and made appointment with another dentist for a second opinion. Google indicated that these shaded vertical areas on the teeth are normal. The new dentist took new X-rays I paid twice for the same thing, and the second dentist agreed with google that everything was fine. My teeth still feel good but I am angry at that first dentist. There’ll be lots of input from me about him. (He did the same thing to my husband.)
May want to share the name of the dentist where you had that experience.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-30-2019, 11:52 AM
Sage

Dr. Freeman. He is up north, 1000 miles away. I hope you don’t consider my story irrelevant because of that.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:03 PM

A deep cleaning is done to keep mild gum disease from becoming more serious. If you have "pocketing" where you have lost some bone around one or more tooth sockets, food can get trapped causing tartar to build up leading to a worsening of bone loss. The dentist will give you injections to numb the area because the hygienist will go much deeper below the gum line to clean these areas. If you have occasional tooth pain caused by trapped food particles, or you experience bleeding when you brush your teeth, your dentist is probably trying to save you future pain, expense and possible tooth loss. Full blown gum disease can be serious and not just for the health of your mouth. Serious gum disease can lead to other health problems including heart disease. If you don't trust your dentist, get a second opinion, but don't ignore it just because you haven't heard of the procedure. If the second opinion agrees with the first, get it done then go buy yourself a Water Pick and use it daily. It worked for me.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:24 PM
Sage

Village Dental wanted to charge me $6,000 for 3 crowns and a deep cleaning. The deep cleaning was to be done entirely by the hygenist for $1,400. I got two second opinions outside of The Villages. Both said that I didn't need a deep cleaning, and only needed one crown and one filling. The total cost was $1,100.
Old 10-30-2019, 12:41 PM
Default Village Dental

Run don't walk away from Village Dental$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 10-30-2019, 01:20 PM

Recommend Dr Luong of Serenity Dental Spa...she makes her own crowns in house while you wait so all done in one shot......no up selling
Old 10-30-2019, 01:56 PM

Dentists around here make used car salesmen look like saints. Never seen so much "bait and switch" in my 78 years. Anyone falling for the $79 free cleaning and exam should expect the deep cleaning sales pitch. Lived 75 years and never heard of it until I got down here.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:19 PM

Dr Forest Jerkins
Old 10-30-2019, 02:50 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The average cost for a crown by a reputable dentist is usually $1000 to $1300. Cost can be higher if you need A “Post” under the crown. Many here have never heard of deep cleaning but as we age we are more likely to need that service. BTW, a dental hygienist is far more careful and qualified to clean your teeth. That is his/her speciality. No, I am not a dentist nor work for one here. I have however worked in dentistry a lot of years. Yes, there are good and bad dentist but most are recommending the correct procedure. Also, a dentist or doctor giving a second opinion is at an advantage because they already know your objections.
Old 10-30-2019, 02:59 PM
Sage

Only if you tell the second dentist about your experience with the first one. And why would you? You don’t want to bias the new dentist.

I became suspicious of some dentist when I was a teenager and every 6 months when I went for cleaning my dentist found a new cavity. He also mentioned he had just bought a new cottage. I was wondering if my teeth were funding it. I changed dentist after a few years and for the next 40 years lo and behold, I had no cavities.

Last edited by Velvet; 10-30-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 03:11 PM
Sage

I understand that a crown performed by a dentist usually costs about $1,000. That is the going rate. But, when the hygienist at Village Dental described the deep cleaning procedure that she was going to perform for a cost of $1,400, it really sounded like ripoff. It was a 2 hour procedure with no dentist present. Dental hygienists may be well trained, but I don't think they command an income anywhere near that of a dentist. So, I thought that her quoted price was outrageous. Two other dentists told me that I didn't need a deep cleaning. And, 3 years later, I my current dentist has still not recommended a deep cleaning. I believe that this procedure is oversold and overpriced in The Villages.
Closed Thread

Tags
crowns, dentist, cost, recommendations, thing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.