Medicare and private insurance

Closed Thread
Old 04-16-2016, 04:30 PM
Default Medicare and private insurance

Please help if you can! I will turn 65 next March and want to know what other insurance I need besides Medicare. Who should I call to get advice? Any assistance is appreciated.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel 1952 View Post
Please help if you can! I will turn 65 next March and want to know what other insurance I need besides Medicare. Who should I call to get advice? Any assistance is appreciated.
You should look into a supplemental policy that picks up what medicare does not.

There are several companies out there with similar products.

AARP, if you ignore their politics, has some of the very best.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
You should look into a supplemental policy that picks up what medicare does not.

There are several companies out there with similar products.

AARP, if you ignore their politics, has some of the very best.
I totally agree on the AARP Supplement. You can go to any doctor that takes Medicare which is just about everyone. I chose the F plan as I pay my monthly fee and nothing more.

Medicare is comprised off 3 parts

Part A No charge
Part B $104.00 or there about
Part D Drugs many plans with different coverage. I have Express Scripts with the most coverage but I will change in the new year. Not worth the money.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cologal View Post
I totally agree on the AARP Supplement. You can go to any doctor that takes Medicare which is just about everyone. I chose the F plan as I pay my monthly fee and nothing more.

Medicare is comprised off 3 parts

Part A No charge
Part B $104.00 or there about
Part D Drugs many plans with different coverage. I have Express Scripts with the most coverage but I will change in the new year. Not worth the money.
You should judge Part D by the number and value of drugs you take. The retail value of drugs my wife takes per annum is currently $96,000 - she has MS. We pay $7,000 out of pocket. Talk with a counselor about the drugs and their associated costs under different plans. There will be differences.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Go to medicare.gov and there is a link on there you can enter in your medications and it will tell you which company to choose to cover most of them. Not sure about the medical part.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:19 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

Miguel1952 ... Go to a SHINE meeting. They are held at both Lake Miona and Eisenhower Rec Centers. You will have to look the dates up in the Recreation Newspaper. We just went and I was quite surprised. I thought I would be walking into a meeting a several people but you have a one on one with a SHINE counselor which will explain everything to you. Go soon or at least through the summer if you can, as it was quite empty and he explained the meetings get very crowded in Sept. & Oct. as it is open enrollment. It was very informative.
Old 04-17-2016, 06:46 AM

Thank you all!
Old 04-17-2016, 07:58 AM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
Go to medicare.gov and there is a link on there you can enter in your medications and it will tell you which company to choose to cover most of them. Not sure about the medical part.
Agree with this approach, don't just pay extra for supplement. An advantage plan may be better for you, depending on drugs and your general health. This site is easy to use.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:07 PM
Platinum member

I have had AARP J for 14 years and will not change. It pays and I have never had a problem going to my choice of doctors. The only major thing I had was a total knee replacement-no questions asked. My late husband also had AARP J for 20+ years, and had no problems with doctors, hospitals or payments. It is not inexpensive, but after talking to others, it is a bargain.

I have a friend who thought she had good supplemental insurance, but when she had medical problems requiring surgerys and hospital stays,she owed in the thousands. She was shocked. It may not cost much, but it doesn't pay much either. Also, her rehab places were not the top ones.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:05 PM

Do yourself a huge favor and call Gail Patel. She is the most knowlegable and will help you with all your medicare needs and questions. For us, she has been a lifesaver! We made huge mistakes initially and she put us on the right path. She's the best!!

352-216-1680
Old 04-20-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
let me give you one more name.

Matthew Claassen
1-800-847-9680 ext 2

He is an independent agent that has been at it for over 30 years. He is not affiliated with any one insurance company so you don't have to worry about him trying to sell you something you don't need.
The thing is there is no one size fits all in Medicare. Everyone's situation is different. He will advise you on what is the best coverage for you at the best price.

Good Luck
Old 04-21-2016, 08:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
Miguel1952 ... Go to a SHINE meeting. They are held at both Lake Miona and Eisenhower Rec Centers. You will have to look the dates up in the Recreation Newspaper. We just went and I was quite surprised. I thought I would be walking into a meeting a several people but you have a one on one with a SHINE counselor which will explain everything to you. Go soon or at least through the summer if you can, as it was quite empty and he explained the meetings get very crowded in Sept. & Oct. as it is open enrollment. It was very informative.

One can get original Medicare with a supplement, plus part D or a Medical Advantage plan.

One must decide what plans best fit their needs.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

Tags
medicare, insurance, appreciated, assistance, advice, call, private, march, turn

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.