Multifocal intraocluar lenses

Closed Thread
Old 07-25-2014, 12:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Multifocal intraocluar lenses

Has anyone on TOTV had the upgraded multifocal intraocluar lense implants when having cataract surgery? If you have had them, what were your results? Thanks for any information.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:19 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Has anyone on TOTV had the upgraded multifocal intraocluar lense implants when having cataract surgery? If you have had them, what were your results? Thanks for any information.
Hope you get lots of answers. My cataract evaluation a couple of weeks ago, Dr Jay Singleton said that multifocals (ReSTOR and Tecnis) had proven to be, in his practice, underwhelming in patient satisfaction. After testing he recommended (for my eyes) either toric lenses which would eliminate my astigmatism (moderate, under 1.5 D), provide good distance, but probably require light cheaters for intermediate and reading. Or the Crystalens toric lens (Trulign) which would proved good distance and intermediate, a 50/50 probability of not needing glasses for reading. With astigmatism he prefers laser precision for best results. I have a 2nd opinion evaluation scheduled for next Thursday, with another surgeon who has implanted all of the lens options. We shall see.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 07-25-2014, 07:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
Hope you get lots of answers. My cataract evaluation a couple of weeks ago, Dr Jay Singleton said that multifocals (ReSTOR and Tecnis) had proven to be, in his practice, underwhelming in patient satisfaction. After testing he recommended (for my eyes) either toric lenses which would eliminate my astigmatism (moderate, under 1.5 D), provide good distance, but probably require light cheaters for intermediate and reading. Or the Crystalens toric lens (Trulign) which would proved good distance and intermediate, a 50/50 probability of not needing glasses for reading. With astigmatism he prefers laser precision for best results. I have a 2nd opinion evaluation scheduled for next Thursday, with another surgeon who has implanted all of the lens options. We shall see.
Thanks for your reply. I still haven't decided what to do. Btw I noticed you have lived in Mt Clemens. My son did his internship at the hospital there.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:43 PM
Eternal Member

Check with your insurance carrier before you go for these lenses. Many insurance carriers do not pay for these "upgraded" lenses and they are not cheap!

When I had my cataract surgery, I got a presentation from my eye doctor about these lenses and the fact that many insurance companies will not pay for other than the basic lenses. I can only say from word of mouth that they are not that great.

I got the basic lenses and they are great for long distance sight but I still need reading glasses for close up. $1.00 a pair at Marion market.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I still haven't decided what to do. Btw I noticed you have lived in Mt Clemens. My son did his internship at the hospital there.
St Joseph, which I think is now Henry Ford Hospital, or Mt Clemens General. Been a while.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 07-25-2014, 07:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
St Joseph, which I think is now Henry Ford Hospital, or Mt Clemens General. Been a while.
Mt Clemens General.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
Check with your insurance carrier before you go for these lenses. Many insurance carriers do not pay for these "upgraded" lenses and they are not cheap!

When I had my cataract surgery, I got a presentation from my eye doctor about these lenses and the fact that many insurance companies will not pay for other than the basic lenses. I can only say from word of mouth that they are not that great.

I got the basic lenses and they are great for long distance sight but I still need reading glasses for close up. $1.00 a pair at Marion market.

Z
My insurance will not pay for them and the up charge is $2750.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Is that per lens, or total? Not too bad if total.

Think about your life style. I did not want my distance vision corrected, because they said I would have to wear reading glasses. I love to read lying on my side in bed at night, and it would be very uncomfortable to have to wear reading glasses. That would be a big change in my lifestyle, making something I've done my whole life difficult. I went with just the normal cataract lenses.

From people I know who had the bifocal kind, the amount of light around you makes a difference. My friends have had to use reading glasses anyway, in situations such as church and restaurants and other low-light situations. I haven't met anyone yet who has been thrilled with them, and several who have said they aren't worth the extra money. But maybe there have been advances recently. I had mine done in 2012.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:53 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Is that per lens, or total? Not too bad if total.

Think about your life style. I did not want my distance vision corrected, because they said I would have to wear reading glasses. I love to read lying on my side in bed at night, and it would be very uncomfortable to have to wear reading glasses. That would be a big change in my lifestyle, making something I've done my whole life difficult. I went with just the normal cataract lenses.

From people I know who had the bifocal kind, the amount of light around you makes a difference. My friends have had to use reading glasses anyway, in situations such as church and restaurants and other low-light situations. I haven't met anyone yet who has been thrilled with them, and several who have said they aren't worth the extra money. But maybe there have been advances recently. I had mine done in 2012.
I am pretty sure that is per lens. And if they do not work that great you are out the money.

I think that anyone that wants these lenses should do a very good check on what they buy you.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:26 PM

Please do your research, I have for the last two years and still have not been sold on it. I use mono vision contacts and they work great, one for distance, the other for close up.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Mono vision contacts are great, but not good for sports like pickle ball where you have to have middle-distance vision. I have three contacts--left distance, right distance, and left mono vision.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:43 PM
Platinum member

Well, since the majority (2 out of 3) of us have some astigmatism, and astigmatism is not covered by Medicare or most insurances, you can probably count on being out-of-pocket for around $1K per eye, unless you are comfortable wearing glasses full time.
And it is your vision, extremely important, so not something to cheap out on.
My brother-in-law had the Crystalens done about 2 years ago, cost about $2500 per eye, he loves them and claims he hasn't worn glasses since.
A fellow retiree, had the Torics done, didn't have the laser assisted surgery (cost issues) and is happy to need glasses only for reading.
I really don't think that cost should be the most important factor in a decision that will last you the rest of your life. Your eyesight should meet your lifestyle needs. Money is only a number.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 07-26-2014, 08:42 AM
Platinum member

It's surgery, it isn't an emergency, you have questions about your choices.
Get a 2nd opinion...or 3rd if you are still conflicted.
Second opinions before surgery | Medicare.gov
Suffering from TV envy
Old 07-28-2014, 08:28 PM
Default 2nd evaluation

Quote:
Please let us know the results of your second opinion. I have a bad astigmatism, plus I need double cataract surgery. Previous lasix surgery a few years ago pretty much ruined a lot of vision in my right eye because they removed too much tissue. I also would like NOT to wear reading glasses and am wondering about the implants to achieve that. I am anxious to hear what you find out.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I had the Toric lense upgrade to correct astigmatism in my right eye. My out of pocket was $1050 as Medicare does not cover the Toric lense.
I had the right eye set for distance and the left eye for close.
A week after the last eye was done I tested 20-20 capable. That was 3 years ago and I still have no need for reading glasses.

My research before deciding to go mono and with the Toric lense confirmed for me that the much touted upgraded bi focal type lenses had significantly less (SIGNIFICANT ) than 50% satisfaction and users relying on glasses....not just readers..........hence my decision........and 100% satisfaction.
By Dr. Ireland at St. Luke's in Sumter Landing.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.