Multifocal intraocluar lenses

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2014, 03:45 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I had cataract surgery on my right eye last Tuesday 8/12 at the VA Hospital in Gainesville. They put in a standard distant vision lens, they had highly recommended against the multivision lens. The doctor said they create that lens by placing a small hole in the center of the lens and if they are off by a millionth of a millimeter there is a problem. When I heard that, the choice was simple.
Somebody is pulling your chain. That is NOT how they create a multifocal lens. They have different zones within concentric rings for focusing at varying distances. But, no holes.
The Villages Florida
Suffering from TV envy
Old 08-18-2014, 05:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
Somebody is pulling your chain. That is NOT how they create a multifocal lens. They have different zones within concentric rings for focusing at varying distances. But, no holes.
The doctor was explaining it verbally without using any aids. As in your diagram, he said there was concentric rings around a center hole, I probably mistook him for meaning a physical hole. The centration of these rings needed to be fairly exact or problems could arise like blurry vision, halos, glare, etc. He said the single vision lens had very little problems. Overall in his 8 years at Gainesville and over 12,000 procedures in his office he was only aware of one patient losing their eye sight after surgery. He said that patient had other problems and was probably not a good candidate for the surgery. When I heard all that, I was confident this would work but wanted the less complicated and went with the single vision lens.

So far so good in my right eye, everything is so much brighter, I never knew whites didn't have an amber tint. I had been in twilight five previous times for various procedures such as cardiac cath and carpal tunnel surgery. This was the most twilight of all, I was nowhere near groggy or in and out of sleep, full awake but yet no pain whatsoever. However, with an oxygen tube in your nose and your face covered except for the hole around the eye, you see nothing and only hear music, they played my choice, which was the Beatles.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
So far so good in my right eye, everything is so much brighter, I never knew whites didn't have an amber tint. I had been in twilight five previous times for various procedures such as cardiac cath and carpal tunnel surgery. This was the most twilight of all, I was nowhere near groggy or in and out of sleep, full awake but yet no pain whatsoever. However, with an oxygen tube in your nose and your face covered except for the hole around the eye, you see nothing and only hear music, they played my choice, which was the Beatles.
The concept of someone sliding a blade into my eye is probably my biggest concern, but you've addressed that pretty well.
When I told the surgical consultant that I was nervous about having a sharp stick poked in my eye, she laughed and said that with the new technology the stick didn't have to be sharp anymore.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 08-19-2014, 09:11 AM
Platinum member

I think we are all skeptical about anything in and around our eyes. I wear contact lenses and it was hard to get used to putting them in, but soon I was able to pop them in and take them out with no problem. Currently, I have developed Macular Degeneration and the Dr. has told me that if it progresses, I will have to have injections into the retina.

TALK ABOUT FEELING NERVOUS!!!

I have a device that I check my vision with each day and it sends the results to a monitoring company. They, in turn, notify the Dr. if there is any change that needs to be addressed by him. I have only had this device for almost a month, but it seems to be kinda neat.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 08-19-2014, 07:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I had my first eye done Monday August 11th and opted for the upgraded mulitifocal lens. I could see 20/20 the very next day and have no complaints so far. I also had a correction done for astigmatism. I will have my second eye done next Monday and I am hoping for equally good results. I do a lot of reading and decided the upgrade would be worth the price. I only worried about the success of the Lens. So far I am pleased. I will keep you posted and give more results in a couple of weeks. You are so right...it us scary to have someone remove a part of your eye and replace it with something artificial.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
The concept of someone sliding a blade into my eye is probably my biggest concern ...
My surgery is coming up and I feel the same way.
Everyone who has had the surgery tells me it's easy peasy, but I'm still nervous.

Quote:
I had cataract surgery on my right eye last Tuesday 8/12 at the VA Hospital in Gainesville. They put in a standard distant vision lens, they had highly recommended against the multivision lens.
My surgeon also recommended against the multivision lens.
He said some people are very unhappy with it, and once it's installed, it's there for life.
He also won't book eye number two until a month has passed and eye number one is completely healed.
I think he is being overly cautious, but that's OK because I'm a big chicken.

Thanks John W, I didn't know about the lifting and exercise restrictions.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:24 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
My surgery is coming up and I feel the same way.
Everyone who has had the surgery tells me it's easy peasy, but I'm still nervous.
That may be because of the Versed (Midazolam). Sedation and amnesia.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 08-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
That may be because of the Versed (Midazolam). Sedation and amnesia.
Kayaker, not remembering the surgery sounds fabulous to me.
John W even got Beatles music, that must be the deluxe package.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.