Multiple Sclerosis HUGE news

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2019, 11:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts
Default Multiple Sclerosis HUGE news

Boston Children's Hospital [BCH] is reporting that they have identified a specific type of immune cell, with clearly marked immune characteristics that seems to be responsible for Multiple Sclerosis (MS). From a BCH press release:

Quote:
Multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune disease affecting both adults and children. It's driven by "helper" T cells, white blood cells that mount an inflammatory attack on the brain and spinal cord, degrading the protective myelin sheath that covers nerve fibers. But there are many different kinds of T helper cells, and up until now, no one knew which ones were the bad actors.

Researchers at Boston Children's Hospital have now pinpointed the specific helper T cells that cause MS, as well as a protein on their surface that marks them. As reported this week in PNAS, an antibody targeting this protein, CXCR6, both prevented and reversed MS in a mouse model.
Using a mouse model they were able to "cure" the mouse of MS. Do NOT expect your doctor to have this cure soon as this is very preliminary but very exciting. Another example of why supporting basic science research is important. Interestingly this breakthrough is at a Children's hospital whereas MS is a predominately adult disease. Sadly this initial work was supported by your tax dollars via the NIH, but further research will be done by a newly created private company, so new they have nothing on their website
Old 10-05-2019, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Targeting certain 'rogue' T cells could combat multiple sclerosis - Boston Children's Discoveries
Old 10-05-2019, 12:08 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Excellent news. My just turned 33 year old pregnant daughter was diagnosed with MS in January this year, two weeks before her wedding. I hope she benefits from this cure before things digress.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:07 PM
Veteran member

My husband also has MS and this is spectacular news. Thank you for posting.
Old 10-05-2019, 02:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
boston children's hospital [bch] is reporting that they have identified a specific type of immune cell, with clearly marked immune characteristics that seems to be responsible for multiple sclerosis (ms). From a bch press release:

Using a mouse model they were able to "cure" the mouse of ms. Do not expect your doctor to have this cure soon as this is very preliminary but very exciting. Another example of why supporting basic science research is important. Interestingly this breakthrough is at a children's hospital whereas ms is a predominately adult disease. Sadly this initial work was supported by your tax dollars via the nih, but further research will be done by a newly created private company, so new they have nothing on their website
Your post is welcome news for anyone with a friend or a family member with ms.
Very encouraging.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

I had a student once with MS, wonderful news so far!
Old 10-06-2019, 05:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Meds for MS can run up to. $12,000 a month. Sadly by the time there is human trials, then approval, it may not be in my lifetime.
Old 10-06-2019, 09:16 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
My husband also has MS and this is spectacular news. Thank you for posting.
I'm the husband--I'm so elated!
Closed Thread

Tags
cells, multiple, mouse, helper, childrens

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.