My Latest Platelet Donation is heading for a 9 month old with heart problems.

Closed Thread
Old 08-18-2018, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
We both have been kicking the thought around for to long. It’s time to do it. I always did give blood at work when I was young but stopped. Lazy? I don’t know.

We are committed to start and this thread did it. Thanks.

My blood type is R.

Ragu. Sorry.
You should tell them that at One Blood in Lady Lake. Terri, Yulonda, Natasha, Blanca, and Juanita would get a kick out of that. There is a man there too once in a while but I tend to forget their names and they seem to have floaters in training as well even if some of these are extremely attractive women.

One guy looked a lot like the main bad guy in The Walking Dead but about twice the actor's weight. Negan. I thought about saying "We are all Negan" to him but thought better of it as he might be the one sticking me with a needle at some point!
Old 08-18-2018, 06:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
That's pretty funny. I am more interested in doing it because you reminded me of my grandson's open heart surgery and realizing that he may have needed it.
They usually do not tell anyone how the operation went. You just hope for the best. I have donated platelets now maybe 80 times and only two of these were for infants. The very first one I did as they called me and begged me to come in and this one.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:02 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,759 Posts

Thank you, Tal, for donating as you have a rare blood type. I donate blood as well although I have a more common type. I have several close friends who have needed blood and realize how important it is to donate.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-18-2018, 09:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Thank you, Tal, for donating as you have a rare blood type. I donate blood as well although I have a more common type. I have several close friends who have needed blood and realize how important it is to donate.
Donating platelets takes from 2 to 3 hours from when you go in from when you leave. Sometimes more if the machines are slow that day. Has something to do with the heat and how much H20 the donors have in their systems.

The whole blood donations from entry to exit from the facility or blood mobile usually only take 20 minutes, if that.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-19-2018 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Donating platelets takes from 2 to 3 hours from when you go in from when you leave. Sometimes more if the machines are slow that day. Has something to do with the heat and how much H20 the donors have in their systems.

The whole blood donations fro entry to exit from the facility or blood mobile usually only take 20 minutes, if that.
Tal, Kudos to you for donating platelets. I have donated them a few times several years ago, but I can no longer sit in the chair for that long. I still donate whole blood a few times a year. It really is not an unpleasant experience to donate whole blood, and I am kind of a wimp . The whole process from signing in, answering the screening questions and the actual blood collection process takes me about 45-50 minutes.

What is interesting to me is how the screening technology has changed in the past few years. It used to be a paper questionnaire. Now up here in the Chicago area, the screening questions are answered on a tablet.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Tal, Kudos to you for donating platelets. I have donated them a few times several years ago, but I can no longer sit in the chair for that long. I still donate whole blood a few times a year. It really is not an unpleasant experience to donate whole blood, and I am kind of a wimp . The whole process from signing in, answering the screening questions and the actual blood collection process takes me about 45-50 minutes.

What is interesting to me is how the screening technology has changed in the past few years. It used to be a paper questionnaire. Now up here in the Chicago area, the screening questions are answered on a tablet.
One Blood has tablets, too. They have 49 questions on them. Some of these are quite personal.

The change to tablets happened a year or two ago.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
One Blood has tablets, too. They have 49 questions on them. Some of these are quite personal.

The change to tablets happened a year or two ago.
My favorite question is one that Lifesource (Chicago area blood collection agency) just started asking a few years ago. "Have you been in jail, prison or any other correctional institution for more than 72 hours in the past year?" I'm always tempted to answer, "Can I count my place of employment in that category?"
Old 08-19-2018, 10:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
My favorite question is one that Lifesource (Chicago area blood collection agency) just started asking a few years ago. "Have you been in jail, prison or any other correctional institution for more than 72 hours in the past year?" I'm always tempted to answer, "Can I count my place of employment in that category?"
And I do go to jail every day (literally) because I teach there!

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2018, 08:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
They have something like that as a question with One Blood.

One is about sex and money ever taken in exchange. Most of my dates take a lot of wining and dining as well as many other things to get on base. Or many texts, letters, and meetings. And some of the trophy wives in the Villages... probably would not be with these husbands unless they had very nice houses, cars, vacations abroad, etc.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

I use to donate blood till I got in stationed in UK for few years.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:12 PM
Sage
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I use to donate blood till I got in stationed in UK for few years.
That does seem to knock people out of donating.

I had wanted to travel to Africa some day and that also seems to disqualify but I do not know the details about countries and time frames. Mad cow disease seems to be the big worry for working in the UK. Donating Blood & Platelets: Restrictions Related to International Travel & Immigration | Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center

Malaria for many other tropical area countries.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:59 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
I have AB- and my latest platelet donation is slated for a 9 month year old infant. She is having open heart surgery.

I am very proud of you Tal, that is a wonderful thing you do. Thank you very much for your commitment to this service.

KathieI

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 09-05-2018, 06:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

One is about sex and money ever taken in exchange. Most of my dates take a lot of wining and dining as well as many other things to get on base. Or many texts, letters, and meetings. And some of the trophy wives in the Villages... probably would not be with these husbands unless they had very nice houses, cars, vacations abroad, etc.

Tal, Listen carefully. There are a lot of beautiful, smart, women, who contributed as much or more to the family coffers as their husbands. Most people with good marriages each think the other is a prize.
Old 09-05-2018, 07:11 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

Tal. Speaking of sex, I am not sure how many women over the age of 50 want to date someone in their 50's or 60's who still lives at home with his parents. I am sure the wining and dining is difficult based on that one fact alone...

Old 09-05-2018, 11:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
Tal. Speaking of sex, I am not sure how many women over the age of 50 want to date someone in their 50's or 60's who still lives at home with his parents. I am sure the wining and dining is difficult based on that one fact alone...

Yes. But few people who live at home with their parents are getting questions about whether they like kids or other such questions from first rate actresses. I have four degrees and am listed in about 14 Marquis Who's Who volumes and have been nominated to 24 of these. I expect for work I have done for survivors/victims of crimes while living with my parents or helping out relatives in various states. And I have been doing this since late 1991. Fighting for survivors/victims of crimes using the knowledge gained from these four degrees-- earned at five schools in five different states-- as well from the connections made at these colleges and universities as well as via Facebook, Findlaw, e-mails to Court Administrators and many others, Facebook, personal meetings, texts, and telephone calls. You can do quite a lot for other people especially when Hollywood smells a very good story to tell at some later date.

I also hope some of these first rate actresses read Talk of the Villages. I have been linking it to my Facebook page.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 09-06-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
month, heart, platelet, latest, donation

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.