need help with hearing

Closed Thread
Old 11-16-2022, 07:17 AM

Old guy #1- I just got a new hearing aid and it works great…..
Old guy #2- what kind is it?
Old guy#1 - one thirty….
Old 11-16-2022, 07:33 AM

Did you get them from a doctor in the villages? If so which one?
Old 11-16-2022, 07:40 AM

Old 11-16-2022, 07:56 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,072 Times in 429 Posts

I'll make a suggestion just to throw it out there. I have profound hearing loss, coupled with severe tinnitus, and have been wearing aids for 15 years. Am I ever glad I found the Hearing Center at Costco. They provided the most thorough hearing exam I have had to date...at no cost. My newest aids are their Kirkland KS10 model, which is made by Phonak. They are totally tunable through an app, Bluetooth, with all the high end bells and whistles. Costco sells these for $1399 per pair, which is about 1/4 the price from a private audiologist. For me, they are fantastic, and they actually mitigate the tinnitus, which my previous ReSound aids did not. Costco's warranty and satisfaction policy is second to none, plus they give you free filters and domes for life. Every time I go to Costco, I drop them off at the Hearing Center while shopping, and they thoroughly clean them. I'm sold...give the a try.
Old 11-16-2022, 08:23 AM
Sage

My significant other has hearing aides. NOT hearing many times (even with them in) is due to ear-wax. It's a frustrating conundrum as sometimes the home remedies aren't as affective as when the clinic does them. Just throwing it out there....do you have excessive ear wax?? You need to go back to your provider---if you don't get resolution then find a new one.
Old 11-16-2022, 08:28 AM
Default Need Help with Hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
I have been to an ENT doctor (two years ago) who sent me to an audiologist. After many, many visits to the audiologist, over the past two years, ( and $6500 hearing aids) nothing is clear to me. I cannot understand what is being said.

I want to go to an otolaryngologist (one step above and ENT doctor) to see if there is something blocking my hearing in my head. Has anyone been to such a doctor in Florida . I am willing to travel. Maybe a cochlear implant. I just don't know.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
When you cannot understand words being said, hearing aids will not help you. I'm speaking from experience as a long-time hearing aid wearer. Fortunately, I researched Cochlear Implants and after being tested by Dr. Davis of Davis Family Hearing who have an office in The Villages 352-666-8910 it was determined that I was a candidate for an implant. My implant was activated three years ago and my word comprehension went from18% to 98%. It was that dramatic. I highly recommend that you contact Davis Family Hearing and get tested to see if you qualify for an implant. It will change your life.
Old 11-16-2022, 08:36 AM

If you don't get the help you need, UF in Gainesville may have the experts you need. But I agree with the others. A simple change of doctors might be the solution. Good luck!
Old 11-16-2022, 08:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I ended up buying the best Hearing Aides on the market about 2 yrs. ago & paid the same thing you did. I have the same issues,my hearing is better but my wife does complain that I don’t hear what she’s saying. I tell her it’s selective hearing, LOL. I just figured that it would be a waste of time to spend a lot of money seeing an ENT, I think in my case my age would win out. I’m 73! I just figure at my age my hearing isn’t going to be as good as it was at 20 yrs. old. My X brother in law was a ENT & the only thing I remember him telling me is at 25 yrs. old was, he said some day yo’re going to need hearing aides. So I’m just going to chalk it up as old age & save money so I’m going to keep from making BMW payments for any ENT!
Old 11-16-2022, 03:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,455 Times in 3,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnman View Post
When you cannot understand words being said, hearing aids will not help you. I'm speaking from experience as a long-time hearing aid wearer. Fortunately, I researched Cochlear Implants and after being tested by Dr. Davis of Davis Family Hearing who have an office in The Villages 352-666-8910 it was determined that I was a candidate for an implant. My implant was activated three years ago and my word comprehension went from18% to 98%. It was that dramatic. I highly recommend that you contact Davis Family Hearing and get tested to see if you qualify for an implant. It will change your life.
Categorically untrue. I said already up-thread - my hearing loss manifests primarily in word differentiation problems. Meaning, I can hear you talking. But if you're not facing me, AND you enunciate, AND I can read your lips at the same time, I might not be able to tell what it is you're saying. You'll sound, to me, like you're mumbling even if you're not.

Hearing aids fixed that. I no longer have to ask anyone to repeat themselves unless they have a very thick foreign accent, or are actually mumbling and not facing me.
Old 11-16-2022, 03:13 PM
Default Dr. Steehler Board Certified in Otolaryngology

Went to Dr. Mark Steehler who is a board certified in Otolaryngology. Found him very helpful. He ordered a CT scan to rule out tumors that may have contributed to my hearing loss which came on suddenly. I am not sure if you are familiar with an auditory processing disorder. They can happen after strokes or other vascular problems. The hearing mechanism in the ear hears sound but doesn't discriminate the sound which is the brains function. So in essence the problem is from the brain not the ear. After seeing Dr. Steehler who ruled out tumors I did see Dr. Al Turri at the Villages Specialty center. I now have hearing aids which are helping. There are many different types of hearing aids. Not all support auditory processing disorder. There is a balance between the brain's roll and the ear's role in hearing. Dr. Steehler's contact information is Address: 1781 Park Center Dr suite 210 suite 210, Orlando, FL 32835 Phone: (407) 228-2647. He has a number of offices so there may be one closer to where you live. Dr. Turri did a lot of testing not just a hearing test and was able to fit me with hearing aids which have helped a lot. However, I don't always attend and do miss some of what is said but I have learned to repeat back what I think is said and get clarification if needed.
Old 11-16-2022, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Almost NOTHING else that I've done wrong in my life has caused as much heartache as my hearing problem. I really feel bad for those who have it worse than I do.

I should carry a sign that says Pardon Me or Excuse Me!
Old 11-16-2022, 04:19 PM
Platinum member
Default Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeaston View Post
starflyte1, I agree with several others here. I think you need to see a different audiologist.

Hearing aids are just like any other prosthetic device. If they are well fitted they offer great results. If not, it's like that artificial leg that's a quarter-inch too short. EVERYTHING depends on the quality of the fitting, or tuning if you please.

I am on the third generation of hearing aids in my 15 years of using them, and have seen several audiologists. The technical advances are amazing, but the real value is in the audiologist and how well they fit the devices to your particular needs.

Dr. Cliff Olson in Phoenix AZ is an audiologist who, through hundreds of YouTube videos has become an industry influencer. He advocates a series of "Best Practices" for audiologists, and those who follow his best practices produce excellent results for their customers.

One of the best ways you can spend 10 minutes is to watch Dr. Cliff's video about Best Practices. After that you might want to watch more, and to visit his web page about the importance of best practices.

We are fortunate to have one of those Best Practices audiologists right here in The Villages. Dr. Al Turri delivers excellence. He really pays attention to patient needs and knows how to squeeze the best performance out of the devices. The brand and quality level of the device is not nearly as important as how the device is fitted, and Dr. Turri knows how to do that well. I've been seeing him for 2 years and am very pleased with the results. He is located in the Brownwood Center for Advanced Healthcare. Give him a try. (By the way, I get the sense he was following Dr. Cliff Olson's best practices before Dr. Cliff codified them for others.)
I do not belong to Village Health. Will look at the list and try to find someone else.
Old 11-16-2022, 04:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowagirl2 View Post
Ocala doctor recommendd audiologist.
Old 11-16-2022, 04:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,455 Times in 3,086 Posts

Quote:
I do not belong to Village Health. Will look at the list and try to find someone else.
You don't have to "belong" to the Villages Health. They're just a medical practice, same as any other medical practice. They accept a wide variety of insurance plans and companies. However, most hearing services aren't covered by any insurance at all, so most patients have to pay out of pocket anyway. (Yes there are exceptions)
Old 11-16-2022, 05:23 PM
Default Hearing Help

Quote:
I have been to an ENT doctor (two years ago) who sent me to an audiologist. After many, many visits to the audiologist, over the past two years, ( and $6500 hearing aids) nothing is clear to me. I cannot understand what is being said.

I want to go to an otolaryngologist (one step above and ENT doctor) to see if there is something blocking my hearing in my head. Has anyone been to such a doctor in Florida . I am willing to travel. Maybe a cochlear implant. I just don't know.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
I am a 78 year old hearing impaired Villager. Been wearing hearing aids for over 50 years and one cochlear implant for 19 years. Don't waste your time elsewhere! I highly recommend UF at the Oaks Mall in Gainesville, where there is a staff of doctors of Audiology and Otolaryngology. Get thorough hearing test and evaluation, find out if you are possibly a candidate for a cochlear implant.
Closed Thread

Tags
doctor, hearing, years, audiologist, ent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.