Need a neurologist for migraines

Closed Thread
Old 07-20-2015, 06:54 AM
Default Need a neurologist for migraines

Can anyone suggest a neurologist please?
Old 07-20-2015, 07:05 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Can't help you with a doctor, but have you tried an elimination diet? Dairy products, especially milk and hard cheeses, red wine, nuts are all major culprits. When I eliminated thes from my diet, my migraines went from at least two a week to one every six months, unless I deliberately cheat and eat something from the forbidden list. Good luck. I know how debilitating they can be.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-20-2015, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Can't help you with a doctor, but have you tried an elimination diet? Dairy products, especially milk and hard cheeses, red wine, nuts are all major culprits. When I eliminated thes from my diet, my migraines went from at least two a week to one every six months, unless I deliberately cheat and eat something from the forbidden list. Good luck. I know how debilitating they can be.

A regular doctor can prescribe Imitrix. Also as we age, Migraines become less frequent and less intense for many of us. May have to do with Hormone levels. I know that doesn't help you now, but.........
Old 07-20-2015, 10:49 AM
Gold member

I, too, suffer with migranes. Do you get the visual disturbances prior? I have a neurologist but all the way up in Gainesville. Just ask ur regular dr for prescription. I do not recommend any neurologist around here based on experience
Old 07-20-2015, 11:30 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
A regular doctor can prescribe Imitrix. Also as we age, Migraines become less frequent and less intense for many of us. May have to do with Hormone levels. I know that doesn't help you now, but.........
Grace,
Imitrix should never be used by anyone over 50 yrs. There is a chance of stroke when older folks use this drug. I was told this a few years ago and was told to throw out what I had left. This past Thursday, I went to a lecture given by a neurologist here in TV and he as well said not to use triptans..... which Imitrix is.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:52 AM

Try Dr. Sheri Hamnik
Old 07-20-2015, 02:06 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimLily View Post
Try Dr. Sheri Hamnik
I do Not recommend her at all!
Old 07-20-2015, 02:17 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahips View Post
I do Not recommend her at all!
Google her beforehand
Old 07-20-2015, 06:26 PM
Gold member

There is a new neurologist in the Sharon Morse bldg by name of Dr tarek bakdash. I know no one yet who has tried him or her and I do have alot of experiences with neurologists
Old 07-20-2015, 08:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulahips View Post
There is a new neurologist in the Sharon Morse bldg by name of Dr tarek bakdash. I know no one yet who has tried him or her and I do have alot of experiences with neurologists
I went to a lecture that he had in TV. Seems nice. Easy to understand. His talk was about migraines.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:22 AM

Would like to attend his next lecture on it if it ever comes up. Migraines can also be weather induced and stress is a big trigger as well.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryann View Post
Grace,
Imitrix should never be used by anyone over 50 yrs. There is a chance of stroke when older folks use this drug. I was told this a few years ago and was told to throw out what I had left. This past Thursday, I went to a lecture given by a neurologist here in TV and he as well said not to use triptans..... which Imitrix is.
And use what in its place?
Zomig and imitrex are the only drugs that work for some of us. They were a god send.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:37 AM
Gold member

My Dr prescribed medrol but I haven't tried. I don't believe much in prescription drugs so will only try if you absolutely must. My migranes I do get more this time of yr with weather changes, thunderstorms etc
Old 08-09-2015, 08:27 PM
Veteran member

Read the books, "Wheat Belly" and "Grain Brain". You may want to eliminate gluten even if you are not celiac. These two authors contend that the genetically and chemically modified wheat that we all eat now is a poison that is causing all kinds of health issues. This wheat has not been tested by anyone to see if it is safe to eat. Most doctors are not yet making this connection. Migraines are just one of the miserable problems caused by gluten. I just cured a 30-year old painful health problem by going gluten-free. What do you have to lose?

Tags
neurologist, suggest, migraines

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.