Need open MRI

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Default Need open MRI

I require an MRI soon to diagnose a disk problem. I cannot tolerate the closeness of the older machines. Please, if you heard of one of the newer machines that is open on one side, please let me know. I am willing to travel to Gainesville, Orlando, Tampa.

Tom
Old 12-30-2013, 04:46 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

There has been one in TV for at least six years. Also I think in Leesburg. Your Dr. Should be able to direct you to one.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Open MRI of Orlando:

Open MRI of Orlando - Radiology & Diagnostic Imaging Center Florida

I had the same problem. I even went so far as to get half way in and stopped the procedure (here in TV). Then did some research and found this place and had no problem at all.

I would also contact Lake Imaging to be sure they do not have one some where in their many facilities. They did not when I needed one.

Good luck
Old 12-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

I thought I got an open MRI at Lake Medical near the hospital.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 12-30-2013, 05:42 PM
Platinum member

BTK is correct. Lake Imaging in TV. This is from their web site: "Lake Medical Imaging offers both Open MRI and ‘Short-Bore’ MRI for higher resolution at our centers located in Leesburg and in the Sharon Morse Medical Center at The Villages. Our Lake Sumter Landing location in The Villages also features a high resolution, Short-Bore MRI unit."

Web site for location: Contact Lake Medical Imaging & Vascular Institute - Leesburg, Florida & The Villages
Old 12-30-2013, 06:18 PM
Dancing Thyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Open MRI of Orlando:

I had the same problem. I even went so far as to get half way in and stopped the procedure (here in TV). Then did some research and found this place and had no problem at all.

I would also contact Lake Imaging to be sure they do not have one some where in their many facilities. They did not when I needed one.

Good luck
Babies!!!! I had an 1.5 hour MRI today for 2 different areas and it was so easy. The newer machines, to me, have a larger opening in the tube than the old machines. I can remember 5 years ago opening my eyes and the inner part of the tube was right there. Freaked me out. But today, they have enough room to put a mirror on the cage so you can see behind you and when I opened my eyes, it wasn't scary at all.

I asked the tech about an open MRI (this was at LSL Lake Imaging) and he said they no longer had it, but they had something similar but its only open on one side. He said they weren't getting good readings from their old open MRI, so they got this new type. Really, seriously, its not that bad at all. Lake makes you very comfortable and its over very quickly. They all still make the noise, so you can't get away from that.

Actually, you will love the people at Lake Imaging, they make you feel so comfortable and are excellent at their jobs.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 12-31-2013, 01:30 AM
KittyKat

I agree, KathieI. I had several back in Ohio and I brought my disco CD, which the tech loved, and listened to it with headphones. I am VERY claustrophobic so made sure to keep my eyes closed.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:35 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
Babies!!!! I had an 1.5 hour MRI today for 2 different areas and it was so easy. The newer machines, to me, have a larger opening in the tube than the old machines. I can remember 5 years ago opening my eyes and the inner part of the tube was right there. Freaked me out. But today, they have enough room to put a mirror on the cage so you can see behind you and when I opened my eyes, it wasn't scary at all.

I asked the tech about an open MRI (this was at LSL Lake Imaging) and he said they no longer had it, but they had something similar but its only open on one side. He said they weren't getting good readings from their old open MRI, so they got this new type. Really, seriously, its not that bad at all. Lake makes you very comfortable and its over very quickly. They all still make the noise, so you can't get away from that.

Actually, you will love the people at Lake Imaging, they make you feel so comfortable and are excellent at their jobs.
You are correct in saying that the "open" ones don't give an accurate "reading". Lake Imaging has an 'open' one at the Sharon Morse location...I had the experience with that last Spring. The difference being that both ends are open so you still go into a tube. You can ask your doctor for valium to relax you if need be. Good luck in your quest.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.