Need Recommendation for Orthopedic Surgeon for Arthritic Knees

Closed Thread
Old 10-20-2021, 03:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts
Default Need Recommendation for Orthopedic Surgeon for Arthritic Knees

I'm looking for recommendations for an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in arthritic knees. Very importantly, I would like a surgeon who performs total knee replacement by either the "side entry" or moves the quad muscle to the side for placement of the artificial knee joint.

Thank you in advance.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:48 PM
Veteran member

Absolutely, Dr Karina at UNOVA on Rolling Acres Rd. He did both of mine. No pain, and I was up and mobile the same day. Playing Golf in no time flat and then back to softball.
Old 10-20-2021, 05:43 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Before you go under the knife, examine and be evaluated for stem cell therapy
Old 10-20-2021, 06:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
I looked into stem cell therapy. From what I read, it is very expensive and there is no guarantee it will be effective.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinball wizard View Post
Absolutely, Dr Karina at UNOVA on Rolling Acres Rd. He did both of mine. No pain, and I was up and mobile the same day. Playing Golf in no time flat and then back to softball.
Does Dr. Karina perform total knee replacement with the side entry? If not, does Dr. Karina perform the procedure by moving the quad muscle to the side (muscle sparing procedure)?
Old 10-20-2021, 06:24 PM

2 years ago, I knew I needed a knee replacement and I entered a post of this Forum asking for recommendations. The replies were pretty consistent, with 3 doctors being recommended - Dr. Minh D. Nguyen, MD in Orlando, Dr. James B Duke, MD in Ocala, and Dr. Michael Messieh, MD in The Villages. After reading the comments from those who replied to my Forum post, I decided to see Dr. Michael Messieh, MD in The Villages. I was very impressed with the service I received at his Villages office, his staff was great, and I am very happy with the results from a total knee replacement.

You can look at the replies to my original post by searching "Question about Doctors performing Knee Replacements". There have been other post about doctor recommendations that you can probably review those by searching "Knee Replacement".

Last edited by SIRE1; 10-20-2021 at 06:45 PM. Reason: correct editing
Old 10-20-2021, 06:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Stem cell surgery is not FDA approved, says a lot for the procedure.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:38 PM

find someone who will do a 3d scan of the knee and have a custom prosthetic made for you.. it's much better than 1 off the shelf and it will last. used dr. petraco in miller pl. long island..
Old 10-20-2021, 07:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
2 years ago, I knew I needed a knee replacement and I entered a post of this Forum asking for recommendations. The replies were pretty consistent, with 3 doctors being recommended - Dr. Minh D. Nguyen, MD in Orlando, Dr. James B Duke, MD in Ocala, and Dr. Michael Messieh, MD in The Villages. After reading the comments from those who replied to my Forum post, I decided to see Dr. Michael Messieh, MD in The Villages. I was very impressed with the service I received at his Villages office, his staff was great, and I am very happy with the results from a total knee replacement.

You can look at the replies to my original post by searching "Question about Doctors performing Knee Replacements". There have been other post about doctor recommendations that you can probably review those by searching "Knee Replacement".
Thank you. You have been very helpful.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Interesting thread, I had my right knee replaced 11 years ago and the left one is bone on bone and needs to be replaced. The right knee was done the old way and the recovery was long and difficult so I have been avoiding getting the left one done. I was not aware they are doing knees differently these days and you can get back to regular activities in a relatively short time period. Wishing I spent my younger years skiing the groomed trails instead of pounding the moguls, but boy was it fun at the time.

Last edited by tophcfa; 10-20-2021 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:06 PM

All 3 of the doctors I indicated do the surgery from the side. Actually, that is kind of misleading. When I read the forum replies, I got the impression they actually cut from the side of the knee. Actually the cut is still somewhat in the center, just a little to the left or right of center. Just not through the main muscle and tendons that go across the top of the knee. They then push those aside to get to the bones to be replaced. It supposedly reduces the amount of damage that is done.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Dam, I just did a bunch of research on minimally invasive, often referred to as quadriceps-sparing, total knee replacement surgery. It appears I am not a candidate because the knee has already had an open patella graph ACL reconstruction surgery (basketball injury back in 1994). Looks like it’s the more invasive traditional method for me. Oh well, it worked on the other knee, but it’s a long recovery. To add insult to injury, they will take out my reconstructed ACL and toss it in the garbage during the knee replacement.
Old 10-21-2021, 04:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
Check out Radnothy Orthopedics in Tavares, across 441 from AdventHealth Waterman, the closest A-rated hospital to us. It’s a bit of a drive, but it may be worth it.

“ Dr Jon H. Radnothy is one of Central Florida’s most achieved orthopedic surgeons. After over 25 years of providing orthopedic care of the highest quality in Lake County, Florida, Dr Radnothy and his well regarded team at Radnothy Orthopaedics remain clear examples of how the best of cutting edge orthopedic care can be administered in a truly personal way.

Specializing in the most current and popular Joint Replacement procedures including,

Robotic Total Knee and Hip Replacement
Muscle / Tendon Sparing Knee and Hip Replacement
Custom Partial Knee Resurfacing
Computer Navigation Total Hip Replacement
Stem Cell Therapy
The nearby communities of Mt Dora, Eustis, Umatilla, Leesburg and Apopka are only minutes away. The Villages to the north and Orlando to the south are a 30 minute drive.

Voted “The Best Orthopedic Surgeon” of Lake and Sumter Counties (2018 Healthy Living Magazine).
Staff Affiliations:
Advent Health Waterman (Tavares, Florida)
Surgery Center of Mt Dora (Mt Dora, Florida)

Office Address
2051 Mayo Drive
Tavares, FL 32778”
Old 10-21-2021, 05:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
All 3 of the doctors I indicated do the surgery from the side. Actually, that is kind of misleading. When I read the forum replies, I got the impression they actually cut from the side of the knee. Actually the cut is still somewhat in the center, just a little to the left or right of center. Just not through the main muscle and tendons that go across the top of the knee. They then push those aside to get to the bones to be replaced. It supposedly reduces the amount of damage that is done.
I was under the impression the "side entry" was a different procedure than the "quad muscle sparing" procedure. I did think the incision is actually on the side of the knee for the "side entry" procedure. Thank you for the explanation.
Old 10-21-2021, 06:14 AM

Dr James B Duke, MD in Ocala
Closed Thread

Tags
surgeon, orthopedic, arthritic, knees, knee

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.