Need shoulder DR.

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Send a message via AIM to Fallchicks2
Default Need shoulder DR.

Has anyone been treated for a rotator cuff tear? I've heard mostly talk of Dr.'s treating knees and hips. Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks
Old 05-01-2011, 05:46 PM
Platinum member

Sorry I can't give you a recommendation, as I'm not in TV (yet..!) but I have had a rotator cuff tear. (suffered in a car accident)

My Doc here gave me the option of surgery, which is an intricate, complicated procedure with at least 4-6 weeks down time, or (believe it or not) therapy while the body heals itself.

The therapy is to keep scar tissue from forming while the body heals, to ensure your mobility at the end.
Since mine was a partial tear and since I was still a hard working barber and couldn't take 6 weeks off, I opted to try the therapy first.
I was scheduled for every other day, for 9 months, after work. It took every bit of that time to heal.
Rough going, but the right choice for me. Had it torn more, or not responded to therapy, I'd have had the surgery. Still would have had to complete intensive rehab once the surgery was completed, although it probably would have been for a shorter time overall. Today, 9 years later, the only residual effect is a little less strength in that shoulder, but that's it.
You have my sympathy.... and wishes for speedy healing! I'm sure you will be steered in the right direction!
Old 05-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Doctor

Try Dr. Cowin on Old Camp Road 352-753-4366. I know he's done shoylders I use him for my knee my neighbor uses him for her shoulder.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I had rotator cuff surgery....or I should say we thought it was a rotator cuff problem but when they went in they found I had a calcium build up that would have resulted in a frozen shoulder. My surgery required the DR to grind the calcium build up allowing for the proper tolerance to allow movement without pain. Let me tell you the surgery was not bad but they had me in PT 2 days afterwards working the shoulder...and the first few days well pure hell. It was hard work but it was what I needed (prevent scare tissue from forming)and I was off from my tennis game for about 2-3 full months before I was fully recovered. I went faithfully to pt 3 times a week...a definite requirement with any type of shoulder surgery.

Bottom line even with xrays and the best of surgerons, they really dont know teh issue behind the pain until they go in...and this was all done (UP NORTH) microscopically.....3 very tiny incisions.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:08 PM

I had rotator cuff surgery on left shoulder May '09. Had a .5 inch tear requiring 6 stitches and 6 months of re-hab. Anyway, had it diagnosed in The Villages by Dr. Isaac Mitchell at Tri-County Ortho. He was spot on with his diagnosis of my physical presentation and MRI I had done in The Villages.

My Indiana Doc did the surgery and it was just as Dr. Mitchell had said it would be... including the re-hab time.

Dr. Mitchell has an impressive background from John Hopkins that you can check out if interested.

http://www.tricountyortho.com/isaac-l-mitchell.html
Old 05-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Sage

Dr Mitchell at Tri County orthopedic is a top notch shoulder guy... He fixed my rotator cuff as well as Mr 07 and a few other folks I know all with good results. It was pretty much a full 6 months of rehab to get back to tennis and swimming (3-4 months for golf ) but the shoulder is good as new.

I also had total knee replacement and I've gotta tell you...rotator cuff repair recovery was more painful and difficult than knee rehab.

Good luck.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:56 AM
Default Shoulder

Dr. Wright at U of F. His phone number is 273-7001 ( 352 ) and he is tops. It is a little ride to gainesville but you want the best. The best are not at TV.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:19 PM

I had rotator cuff surgery 11 weeks ago. MRI showed 2 tears and surgery was required. My surgeon is Dr. Carl Ollivierre, on Old Camp Rd. The surgery was done at The Villages Hospital, pain pills about 2 days. Therapy started my second week after surgery. Today I have very little pain, most of my range of motion is back, working on strength now. Doctor says I can play golf again after my 12th week. We talked about arthoscopis surgery, but in my case he felt he could do a better job if he opened it up. So I have about a 3 inch scar. BTW, therapy sucks but very necessary.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:55 AM
Platinum member

About 3 years ago I was told I needed to have the RC surgery. I asked the Dr. if we could try a cortisone injection, since we had a trip planned, and he said that we could try it, but he doubted if it would work. After I returned from the trip, I felt much better and asked him if we could do physical therapy and try to avoid surgery. He set it up and I have not had the surgery yet. Occasionally, I wil get a little twinge in the shoulder, but I try to keep it active and not stress it. If I can avoid that surgery, I'll do almost anything.

Prior to the injection, I could not raise my arm over my head or reach behind my back. Now I have full mobility.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 11-04-2011, 09:26 AM

I concur with Dr. Wright at U of F.

Last edited by gego3650; 11-12-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:28 PM
Default Shoulder

James B Duke in Ocala is the top Orthopedic Man. He specializes in knees, hips and shoulders.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:05 AM

Tom Wright at U of F, Gainesville 352-273-7066. That may be his Leesberg phone but its best to go to Gainsville where they have all equipment.

Last edited by gego3650; 11-12-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:20 AM
Location: Newburyport, Ma, So Berwick, ME, Stratham, NH , Village of Buttonwood

Husband had same surgery 8/9 . Dr Manseau in Ocala did surgery at Ocala Regional. Excellent results (there were 2 tears) and PT was done at Sphinx Wellness in Summerfield with excellent results. Hubby has started playing golf from forward tees and hopes to be playing full swing golf by January. Self discipline with home PT is key. Good luck !
Old 11-09-2011, 06:20 PM
Default Shoulder Surgeon

Best shoulder surgeon in the immediate area is Dr. Mark A. Mighell in Tampa.
He is located at the Florida Orthopaedic Institute. Phone 813 978 9700.
Without question the best and far ahead of Dr, Thomas Wright.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:26 AM
Location: Renting in Mount Dora...until I buy in the Villages!
Default whoa

Can you share any anecdotal evidence or personal qualifications that would give this declaration just a touch of credibility? This is a fairly strong statement! Please share any positive or negative experiences so that we can use that information to make decisions!

I have heard nothing but good things about Dr. Wright and was recently referred to him, so a little surprised to see him discounted like this.

Thanks, Sue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inholmdel View Post
Best shoulder surgeon in the immediate area is Dr. Mark A. Mighell in Tampa.
He is located at the Florida Orthopaedic Institute. Phone 813 978 9700.
Without question the best and far ahead of Dr, Thomas Wright.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.