Netflix Documentary on Medical Devices

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2021, 02:56 PM
Default Netflix Documentary on Medical Devices

Very interesting documentary called The Bleeding Edge showing on Netflix about how medical devices are tested and approved. Or rather how they are not tested and still approved.

Specifically, anyone with a device with Cobalt in it should definitely watch this.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:42 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston-Sean View Post
Very interesting documentary called The Bleeding Edge showing on Netflix about how medical devices are tested and approved. Or rather how they are not tested and still approved.

Specifically, anyone with a device with Cobalt in it should definitely watch this.
Can you be more specific about medical devices? Imaging devices like MR, CT, etc. need to be FDA cleared to be sold in the US. It's a long, expensive process. Yes... many physicians prescribe things "off label," but that isn't on a whim. I'm curious what medical devices you are referring to.
Old 04-05-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
Can you be more specific about medical devices? Imaging devices like MR, CT, etc. need to be FDA cleared to be sold in the US. It's a long, expensive process. Yes... many physicians prescribe things "off label," but that isn't on a whim. I'm curious what medical devices you are referring to.

Sure, by medical device I mean things inserted in humans. Not equipment like MRI machines.

Joint implants, stents, etc.

I think the stat for how devices are approved was 97% are being approved based only on the testing of some other "similar" device. A chain of devices can get approved that way. And even if the source device is pulled off the market that does not affect the daisy chain of approvals based on that faulty device.

It's a screwed up system and an eye opening documentary.
Closed Thread

Tags
netflix, documentary, tested, approved, devices

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.