New people running The Villages Hospital

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2019, 07:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Mrs B had acute pain develop from a prior day urology procedure. We were directed to ER. TVRH ER would not see her for several hours. We went to South Lake Hospital ER instead, with wife in much pain, and were seen and treated immediately. TVRH is a joke, and I had such hopes for it.
It is the teacher in me, repeating again this truth about Emergency Rooms.

They triage, and I know you know that means that those with life threatening situations are seen first, such as problems with breathing, enormous blood loss, acute cardiac situations.

This is the high season in Florida, (if this happened recently) and many, many people who do not live here full time and who do not have a doctor to consult here, will go to the E.R. and to urgent care and they become very, very busy. Also a good many of us old birds are passing through the emergency room as they leave for heaven.

And still another thing. I can only guess how extreme was her pain and high your anxiety was over it. I am so sorry this happened and hope somehow the new ownership can and will see to it that the E.R. improves.

Hope she is feeling better.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Mrs B had acute pain develop from a prior day urology procedure. We were directed to ER. TVRH ER would not see her for several hours. We went to South Lake Hospital ER instead, with wife in much pain, and were seen and treated immediately. TVRH is a joke, and I had such hopes for it.
They are adding two more ER's which might help. One of the problems we have here is the growth of TV is out stripping the care. Based on the FL process (so I'm told) it can take years to get approvals for expansions. Based on what I read it will take a couple years until they will decide on the location for the new hospital which, as I understand it, is part of the process. Add the fact that many go to the ER that don't need too and it will always be a nightmare for some. Hopefully the new ER's will help and at some point, those that don't need an ER will go to the Urgent Care locations.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-15-2019, 09:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Help Needed

I had the opportunity to spend 3 days in the Village Hospital and covered the ride in the Ambulance and the EMS Team. I have heard a lot of critics of the hospital and actually had the opportunity to translate rumor's to facts. The whole experience started with a call to 911 and the EMS team appearing within a few minutes. The team was terrific, saw the problem, did some testing and transported me to the Hospital ER where the problems started. First it is a point that everyone tries to do the best they can with the tools given them. Unfortunately the tools in the ER are beyond poor, they are absent. When I was there the average waiting time for those in the waiting room was 6 hours. I spent 14 hours waiting for a room. The bed I waited in was terribly rough and unccomfortable. When I asked for a pillow I was told none were available which made it that much more uncomfortable. There is no reason the staff should feel good as there were no standard uniforms and why would someone feel proud when they were wearing dungerese to work and basic medical tools were not available. They all appeared dedicated to their work but their morale was really down and you could not fault them. At the point that I was moved to the general hospital room things picked up 100%. The staff morale was high, the dedication was there along with the tools needed to do their work. The net: There are 2 sections to the issue of the hospital the ER the Regular Hospital. The ER needs a true Manager who manages the staff time, demands the needed improvements, makes sure the patients are aware of time, actions and updates at least every 20-30 minutes. Pay enough to the staff to ensure they are driven to exceed requirements. After bring admitted it is now easy to understand why the hospital received a "!" rating for the ER.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
I had the opportunity to spend 3 days in the Village Hospital and covered the ride in the Ambulance and the EMS Team. I have heard a lot of critics of the hospital and actually had the opportunity to translate rumor's to facts. The whole experience started with a call to 911 and the EMS team appearing within a few minutes. The team was terrific, saw the problem, did some testing and transported me to the Hospital ER where the problems started. First it is a point that everyone tries to do the best they can with the tools given them. Unfortunately the tools in the ER are beyond poor, they are absent. When I was there the average waiting time for those in the waiting room was 6 hours. I spent 14 hours waiting for a room. The bed I waited in was terribly rough and unccomfortable. When I asked for a pillow I was told none were available which made it that much more uncomfortable. There is no reason the staff should feel good as there were no standard uniforms and why would someone feel proud when they were wearing dungerese to work and basic medical tools were not available. They all appeared dedicated to their work but their morale was really down and you could not fault them. At the point that I was moved to the general hospital room things picked up 100%. The staff morale was high, the dedication was there along with the tools needed to do their work. The net: There are 2 sections to the issue of the hospital the ER the Regular Hospital. The ER needs a true Manager who manages the staff time, demands the needed improvements, makes sure the patients are aware of time, actions and updates at least every 20-30 minutes. Pay enough to the staff to ensure they are driven to exceed requirements. After bring admitted it is now easy to understand why the hospital received a "!" rating for the ER.
The date that you experienced this would be helpful. Many improvements to the management and staffing of TVRH ER have been accomplished recently.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:30 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
The fact that Central FL Health (which consists of 2 hospitals) exists in this age of hospital mergers is amazing. Hospitals over the last 15 years have merged or been acquired to take advantage of the benefits of purchasing power (of a larger institution) in addition to other benefits. In most cases, the more efficient, well-run hospital network will survive. The fact the TVRH and Leesburg were acquired by Shands can only be a good thing. There's a lot to sort out... It will take a while to get all the answers.
You are right, but there will be those who expect immediate results and will start the bashing when it doesn't happen that way. Just watch.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 12-15-2019, 01:23 PM
Veteran member

UF Health will be a great improvement to TV and Leesburg Hospitals. You are all familiar with Shands Hospital. What more can I say. My granddaughter is currently a premed student at UF and they have an excellent program. Several doctors I know in TV have all graduated from UF medical school. GO Gators! Sorry, inappropriate, couldn't help myself
Old 12-15-2019, 07:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilcon View Post
UF Health will be a great improvement to TV and Leesburg Hospitals. You are all familiar with Shands Hospital. What more can I say. My granddaughter is currently a premed student at UF and they have an excellent program. Several doctors I know in TV have all graduated from UF medical school. GO Gators! Sorry, inappropriate, couldn't help myself
How proud you must be of your granddaughter. It is a good school.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:56 PM

The problem was they did not triage. Went to Blue Cedar ER (part of Orlando Health). They did it right!
Closed Thread

Tags
people, running, villages, hospital

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.