New to the Villages - Tricare Select - Primary Care Physician recommendations?

Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2020, 09:01 AM
Default New to the Villages - Tricare Select - Primary Care Physician recommendations?

We are new to the Villages and must change from Tricare Prime to Tricare Select. We are late fifties so we don't qualify for Medicare/Tricare for Life yet. Admittedly, I am uninformed about Tricare Select because I've only used Tricare Prime since I retired. It was simple. Just went to the primary care physician around the corner in Virginia, paid our $20 deductible, pickup prescription at Walgreens and we were done. Any specialty work and we were referred to the local Military Treatment Facility. Again simple.

I have heard stories that, if you are not careful when choosing in-network providers with Tricare Select, things can get expensive - quickly. I've looked for local in-network providers within the Tricare website and I see numerous labs, mental health, physical therapists, etc. I have not seen "Primary Care" physicians. Of course, I might be using the wrong terminology. Again, I am somewhat uninformed.

My desire is to find a doctor, or doctor's office that we can go to when needed that will provide general care and referrals when needed. I would prefer to stay away from the Urgent Care type facilities.

I am certain there are other retirees in The Villages that are under 65 and using Tricare Select that can share experiences and/or make recommendations for a good doctor.
Old 08-17-2020, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

If you are interested in The Villages Health System you can call any of the care centers. Since I'm sure the care is most important, I assume you will get various personal recommendations. If you have Tricare then I also assume you have access to their portal and contact information, why not send them an email or call them?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-17-2020, 04:03 PM
Default Tricare Prime

We have Tricare Prime and our PCPs are in Orlando. We don't mind the drive (50 minutes) and we like being part of a large hospital system. If you want more info, feel free to contact me.
Old 08-19-2020, 04:46 PM
Veteran member

You might be eligible for care in the VA system. I started going to the local VA Clinic well before I turned 65 and stayed with them after 65.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 12-12-2020, 02:10 PM

Troy8432, I am in a similar position, under 65 and coming from Colorado where I had TRICARE Prime and was seen at the USAFA clinic for most everything. I understand that TRICARE Prime remains an option, but seems that funding a PCM is difficult. I'd appreciate you sharing the way you went. Curious form others as well who could guide a decision on TRICARE Prime vs Select and PCM recommendations. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2020, 04:14 PM
Default We switched to Tricare Select.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican1 View Post
Troy8432, I am in a similar position, under 65 and coming from Colorado where I had TRICARE Prime and was seen at the USAFA clinic for most everything. I understand that TRICARE Prime remains an option, but seems that funding a PCM is difficult. I'd appreciate you sharing the way you went. Curious form others as well who could guide a decision on TRICARE Prime vs Select and PCM recommendations. Thanks.
Due to the lack of Tricare Prime providers in the area, we went ahead and switched to Select. Due to COVID, we haven’t been to a clinic yet, but have researched the availability of medical offices that take Select and there appear to be plenty. The co-pays are about $10 higher, but I figure it is a wash because I seemed to always be paying my PCM in Virginia $20 for a simple referral.

Our greatest concern is if something big or bad happens, we would try to get into Macdill, because there is a cap on major or long term items with Select.

You should know that effective January 1, Tricare Select is no longer free. I think the monthly premium is $25 for a single, $50 for a family. You should verify those numbers, I could be wrong.

I do know that someone, somewhere, broke the promise of free medical for life that I was told by a recruiter back in 1984.

Good luck.
Old 12-12-2020, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the response. I'm still mulling over the best COA. TRICARE Select certainly provides more options. I have learned that the monthly TRICARE Select enrollment fee is $12.50 for an individual and $25 for a family.
Old 12-12-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelican1 View Post
I understand that TRICARE Prime remains an option, but seems that funding a PCM is difficult. I'd appreciate you sharing the way you went.

will tricare prime help you find a new pcm? look into "prime-remote"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy8432 View Post

Our greatest concern is if something big or bad happens, we would try to get into Macdill, because there is a cap on major or long term items with Select.

I would not count on getting treatment at a military hospital.

some military hospitals will not take retirees at all.

Here's the List of Military Clinics That Will No Longer Serve Retirees, Families | Military.com

Last edited by epoch; 12-12-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
tricare, care, select, primary, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.