Night time Nasal stuffiness

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2010, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Night time Nasal stuffiness

Any suggestions for nasal stuffiness which only occurs after I retire...During the day I'm fine...There is no dripping, just blockage...
Old 03-13-2010, 09:21 AM
Veteran member

Try a nasal wash before you go to bed...saline solution, netti pot, and wash..you can get this stuff at any drug store. Works for me..but it sounds like you have allergies so maybe you should consult with your GP.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 03-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Veteran member

Stay on
(1) a very high quality multi-vitamin (an essential - not an optional - health habit, and whether our doctors know it or not, even the AMA, in JAMA, says that we all, regardless of our diet, need them) - pharmaceutical grade and ranked highly in the Comparative Guide to Nutritional Supplements (this is the only reliable way to know the truth about quality); - and
(2) a high-quality grapeseed extract, a powerful natural anti-inflammatory, which (unlike all medications) has no side effects or risks.

As these build a stronger immune system, over a little time, you will be healthier, and problems like this (and allergies, etc) will go away; so you won't need to 'treat' (ie, mask) them, because you won't have them; and eventually you may not even need the grapeseed extract anymore. Problems like this are always a sign of an immune system that is under performing; nutrients fix that.

Last edited by Freeda; 03-13-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:12 PM

I removed the carpeting in the bedrooms and replaced it with laminate flooring... it made a big difference with nasal stuffiness.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

If you get stuffy as soon as you lay down in bed, then your probably have an allergy to dust mites. These microscopic mites live in bedding and other places where human skin cells are shed. Every bed has these mites.

It helps to wash your bedding once a week in very hot water, especially your pillow. Also, you can purchase a special zippered pillow case that goes under your regular pillow case made with a special material that stops dust mites from penetrating your pillow material. Look for this allergy-related pillowcase in the bedding section of any department store. And, instead of natural pillow filling such as down, or a foam filling, use a special allergenic fiber fill instead.

jtdraig is right about the nasal wash. I use a nettipot every night before retiring and every morning, and it works miracles for my allergies.

Good luck with the stuffiness. It is hard to sleep well when you can't breathe normally.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Default Night Time Stufiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Any suggestions for nasal stuffiness which only occurs after I retire...During the day I'm fine...There is no dripping, just blockage...
je, I have the same problem, Netti Pot sometimes helps. If I keep my head elevated (two Pillows) It seems to help the most.

I use a Bpap machine and if one side or the other (nasal Passages) swells I have to remove the mask.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:39 PM
Gold member

GERD can also cause some of the symptoms you mentioned.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default I just bet it is an allergy. It is very dusty here.

Allergy can be treated. Even if you have no problem with your immune system your body can become allergic to things. When an allergen presents itself our body releases histamine which makes tissues swell and weep and we can either take an antihistamine or consult an allergist who can sometimes help by making our body more "used" to the irritating agent by injecting small amounts of it over time.

I am not a doctor or a nurse. I am a little allergic.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Veteran member
Default Nasal Stuffiness

This may sound crazy, but we read a book about breathing that said if you are a mouth breather, particularly at night, then you will accumulate more CO2 in your system and not enough oxygen and that can cause snoring and more mucous. So we now put tape over our mouth at night and both the snoring and the stuffiness have been reduced and often eliminated. It also has increased our lung capacity which increases the amount of oxygen that we are getting which isn't a bad thing for our health. And believe it or not, you can get used to having the tape on. We use paper tape which isn't as hard on the skin.

The dust mite issue is easily fixed by using dust mite covers on the pillows and mattress. And the netti pot is also very useful.

Because it happens just at night when you lie down, it probably is related to the dust mite and CO2 as those are the factors that come into play then.

Diet may be related, as grains. especially wheat and corn. can create a nasal challenge.

Just some thoughts.

LW888
Old 03-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
This may sound crazy, but we read a book about breathing that said if you are a mouth breather, particularly at night, then you will accumulate more CO2 in your system and not enough oxygen and that can cause snoring and more mucous. So we now put tape over our mouth at night and both the snoring and the stuffiness have been reduced and often eliminated. It also has increased our lung capacity which increases the amount of oxygen that we are getting which isn't a bad thing for our health. And believe it or not, you can get used to having the tape on. We use paper tape which isn't as hard on the skin.

The dust mite issue is easily fixed by using dust mite covers on the pillows and mattress. And the netti pot is also very useful.

Because it happens just at night when you lie down, it probably is related to the dust mite and CO2 as those are the factors that come into play then.

Diet may be related, as grains. especially wheat and corn. can create a nasal challenge.

Just some thoughts.

LW888

You actually put tape your your mouth at night?
Old 03-14-2010, 07:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
You actually put tape your your mouth at night?
Hysterical!!!!!! Duct tape????????????? Now..what do you use if you thrash around at night? Rope? LMAOOOOOO!!!!

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 03-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

try "breathe-right" strips,
no meds, simple to use
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.