A Nightmare at TV Hospital

Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2022, 08:41 AM

I agree!
Old 11-10-2022, 08:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Well if the state government wants people to keep coming to Florida & spend tens of millions of dollars a year they need good health care. When we lived there 4 years ago TV hospital was not good because I had to get some check ups with my 5 way heart bypass. They made me sit in a waiting room with people puking with the Flu. Fortunately I came out alright. Very impressed with hospital but was very impressed with the way Drs. & hospital staff. I started going to Leesburg!
Old 11-10-2022, 08:48 AM

Since the University of Florida purchased, Shands, The Villages and Leesburg hospitals, things have improved and continue to improve. I spent last summer in both TV and Leesburg and was treated with excellent professional care. Staffing shortages at times can cause issues, but the care was first class.
Old 11-10-2022, 08:56 AM

As an ER/Critical Care RN, it depends on what your problem is. I hear Leesburg is best for cardiac. My friend has a severe ankle fracture & got horrible care in Ocala
The EMT's are great for guidance.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:08 AM

How often have we heard that? New management does not change things. Excellent management changes things and resolves problems. I was a hospital administrator in the Air Force for several years and I had two main goals at each medical facility I served at. Find and correct inherited problems and leave the facility much better that it was when I arrived. It worked.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:11 AM

It appears that due to rude unappreciated patients, Covid exposure risks from the unvaccinated, nurses and doctors are leaving their careers which puts a strain on our healthcare. So be nice and respectful to the staff which might not have that much experience in their field .
Old 11-10-2022, 10:39 AM
Default The Villages ER should be closed

There are many horror stories about the villages ER, and after personal experience, it is much worse. In the course of one day we experienced people sleeping on the floor of the er waiting room due to 40 people waiting for rooms. We experienced contaminated blood cultures and poorly done x rays causing unnecessary hospital stays. We experienced rude behavior from the staff when trying to ask simple questions like "when might we be able to get a hospital bed?". Telling us sarcastically that people have been waiting in the halls and the waiting rooms for 48 hours for a bed is unacceptable. Visiting the villages ER was like visiting a third world country ER. The ER should be shut down.
Old 11-10-2022, 10:55 AM
Default Tv hos[ital just fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
hospitals in Ocala, including Advent are probably better than TV or Leesburg, but if you really need an emergency room I would use TV, have had good care there twice when I needed it.
Last year I had to deal with a serious infection and I had EXCELLENT medical care. The room was clean and the staff was highly professional and caring. I have nothing but good things to say about this medical facility.
Old 11-10-2022, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
If hospitals are understaffed now, Where are they going to get the staff for the new hospital??
excellent point! it may be a clone of what we have now, lol
Old 11-10-2022, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres1939 View Post
Statements about poor service are true, based on my experience.
Late last year, my son had vomited and passed out and we called 911. They took him to the TV hospital. His wife told them he had recently had a heart attack and gave the ER his Rx list. He was put in the ER for 2 days. They never removed his vomit-soaked clothes. After 2 days, he was admitted and moved to a room. He was there for 3 more days; then discharged after many tests. He was told they could not determine the source of his problem.
While he was there, he was asked to provide a urine sample and put the cup in the bathroom. The next day, he was told the results of his urine tests. Interesting, because the cup was still in the bathroom - untouched.
Before he was discharged, the hospital gave him papers to sign, stating that he was Not Admitted. He refused and eventually they discharged him without signing.
Bottom line - when he returned to his doctors in south Florida, they found the dosages of two of his new medicines he was prescribed after his heart attack had to be adjusted. Something, I guess, the TV hospital never considered.
I won’t be using this hospital !!!
agree with the lack of personal care. I, myself had to take it upon myself to get my hubby in their shower, dress him in clean clothes & brought my OWN bleach spray to clean off the filthy 'bed' (more like a stretcher from the er) he was in for 2 days straight. i was not amused.
Old 11-10-2022, 11:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybelle View Post
I have had a bad experience at The Villages Hospital. Drive to Ocala if you can.
That's what I'm thinking.
Old 11-10-2022, 11:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine1974 View Post
So be nice and respectful to the staff which might not have that much experience in their field .
Sooo How can you be nice and respectful to a stuff that does not have experience in their field.
They shouldn't be there to begin with.
Old 11-10-2022, 12:03 PM
Veteran member
Default My experiences ...

I've heard the horror stories about the ER atTV Regional Hospital, and I have no doubt of their veracity. But I have to say that the two times I used the servicea of the ER, both experiences were excellent. Once I was driven in by a family member following a fall that caused.a lot of damage; the other time I was brought in by ambulance after an auto accident caused by a medical blackout.

I once had surgery involving one overnight stay at a supposedly outstanding hospital in New York City whose name most people would know. and expect excellent service. There were 'dust bunnies' under the furniture that moved around in the air conditioning, and the other patient in the room, who had had much more serious surgery and would be there for quite a few more days than I, had his bloody gowns left hanging from the grab bar in the room the entire time I was there.

One doesn't always know....
Old 11-10-2022, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,459 Times in 3,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Well if the state government wants people to keep coming to Florida & spend tens of millions of dollars a year they need good health care. When we lived there 4 years ago TV hospital was not good because I had to get some check ups with my 5 way heart bypass. They made me sit in a waiting room with people puking with the Flu. Fortunately I came out alright. Very impressed with hospital but was very impressed with the way Drs. & hospital staff. I started going to Leesburg!
If you want that, then you need to have a state government that promotes good health care for EVERYONE, not just seniors, or people who can afford it, or just veterans, or just anything. It's all well and good to say "if you want good health care then you have to pay for it." It's another to be stuck with an emergency in the emergency room, and have to sit with a bunch of poor sick people who can't afford primary care doctors, showing up because the ER isn't allowed to turn them away even though it's not an emergency.

Get everyone healthy. Even the poor, the homeless, the single moms, the babies born to poor folks, teachers, the folks who work three part-time jobs and none of them offer insurance to part-time employees...

the fewer sick people we have, the fewer sick people are stuck in the ER without actual emergencies, and the fewer people you're stuck waiting behind when it's your turn.

And yes that means higher taxes. If every working person had to pay an extra 2 cents per hour, and every property owner had to pay an extra $1 per year, and every landlord had to kick in an extra 10 cents per tenant per year to cover the cost of *basic* medical care for everyone in the country who needed it - including immigrants - who also get sick and show up at emergency rooms...

We'd have enough money to pay for it, and we'd have fewer sick people, and emergency rooms that can handle actual emergencies more efficiently.

And by "basic" medical care I mean a yearly checkup, vaccinations, yearly blood work and nutrition panel, yearly eye test, pap smear, mammogram, prostate exam, yearly dental cleaning and dental x-rays. If they want anything more they are still at the mercy of their health insurance plan, or their own income or charity or other social programs, veterans entitlements, etc. available to them.

Every single person in this country should be *entitled* to the above, whether they can afford it or not.
Old 11-10-2022, 12:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Since moving here 7 years ago, are the rumors I hear true about TV hospital is run very poorly?
It's overcrowded, dirty, and offers a lot of unprofessional care?

I was there once for a visit a friend and asking in case I need medical care in the future.

If true, maybe driving to Ocala might be a wise choice.

Your Input please.
Everybody has unique expectations. I was at The Villages Hospital for 2 weeks earlier this year with pneumonia. I have zero complaints.

Tags
care, true, hospital, visit, medical

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.