No health insurance

Closed Thread
Old 12-27-2019, 03:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
IMHO, you are taking a chance going out of the country. There are several other options that MIGHT work, Good Rx, and a few other recently advertised, as well as just asking the druggist. I just had a scare with BP medications as several were recalled due to possible carcinogen the version I was taking was NOT recalled as the MFG was different, I have no idea how you would be able to determine this with out of the country supplier. Good luck with your quest.
You know something VT, a lot of people laugh off GoodRX because they have Medicare. Just go to their website and put in the prescriptions that you choose to not receive by mail and see for yourself the significant saving on some items, not all of them.

We just had one medication come thru as a recall but when I went in person to Publix I was told it didn't affect our particular brand. Two days later we got a Email saying it was in fact a possible carcinogen. Worms, not Publix as we think they are the greatest. The manufacturer is the Worm and a piece of garbage.

I'll bet that one of the people at the place that VT talks about and I went to for advice several years ago could help the OP. Just remembered, SHINE. They were great. Good Luck. SHINE Program
Department of Elder Affairs
4040 Esplanade Way, Suite 270 Tallahassee, FL 32399-7000

Toll Free 1-800-96-ELDER
1-800-963-5337
TDD/TTY 1-800-955-8770
Fax 850-414-2150
Old 12-27-2019, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
IMHO, you are taking a chance going out of the country. There are several other options that MIGHT work, Good Rx, and a few other recently advertised, as well as just asking the druggist. I just had a scare with BP medications as several were recalled due to possible carcinogen the version I was taking was NOT recalled as the MFG was different, I have no idea how you would be able to determine this with out of the country supplier. Good luck with your quest.
I have used GoodRx recently and might again. Yes, valsartan was pulled in the US and also in Canada where I get my scripts normally filled.
Old 12-27-2019, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Living in the Villages is not cheap. I'm sorry to suggest this, but perhaps you should be using those dollars now to get health insurance. If your income is low the ACA AKA Obamacare will subsidize your cost. A 61 yo with untreated elevated BP is just awaiting potential complications. The cost of those complications may acutely bankrupt you or long term make your life miserable.. strokes, cardiac problems, kidney failure.

So pay for the health insurance, get proper care, then see what you have left to cover the cost of living here. At 65 if you qualify for medicare, the equations will change.
#1) my BP is NOT untreated.
#2) when my time is up, it's up. Even with insurance, I will not take extraordinary measures to stay alive, so no need for insurance.
#3) you're getting far away from the question that was asked.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post
I am 61 and want to move to The Villages. I am healthy but take blood pressure meds. I have no insurance but need my blood pressure meds refilled. How do I find a doctor to do this? I need the prescription given to me so I can mail it to get it filled.
Dr Norma Kusnetz - Winter Park Fl

Somehow you got a cash only doc wherever you live now. How did you do that. I found the one above in a 5 minute google search. If I can so can you. I can't imagine you are going to find people living around TV with no health insurance. You really should say thanks to all for trying but walk away. I guarantee you this will turn into a lecture of why you should have health insurance. It's obvious you have a reason and that is nobody else's business but your own. Best of luck.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post

Somehow you got a cash only doc wherever you live now. How did you do that. I found the one above in a 5 minute google search. If I can so can you. I can't imagine you are going to find people living around TV with no health insurance. You really should say thanks to all for trying but walk away. I guarantee you this will turn into a lecture of why you should have health insurance. It's obvious you have a reason and that is nobody else's business but your own. Best of luck.
OP might not be familiar enough with the area to know which doctor is close and which one is far away.

When we came here we knew where Ocala was and that's about it.
Old 12-27-2019, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I'm not sure what the issue is. There a lots of doctors in The Villages. You call one, make an appointment, and pay them in cash. If you don't have any money, you can apply for Medicaid.
He's 60 and in good health. He doesn't qualify for Medicaid in Florida. Have to be over 64, or blind or disabled, or have a parent, child, or spouse living in the house who is either blind or disabled.

Florida chose not to participate in Medicaid expansion so healthy seniors who can't afford to pay for their insurance are generally out of luck til they're 65.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post
I am 61 and want to move to The Villages. I am healthy but take blood pressure meds. I have no insurance but need my blood pressure meds refilled. How do I find a doctor to do this? I need the prescription given to me so I can mail it to get it filled.
Most physicians offices accept credit card payments for services. You won't find a doctor to JUST write a prescription, they'll probably need you to set up a first visit, with all your records transferred from your old doctor to them, at least a cursory wellness check if not a full physical.

Once you become their patient I imagine the next time you need the rx written it'll be a lot smoother but the first one with a new doctor who's never met you before will not be a quickie phone call and pick up the prescription.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:

And I thank you for sparing 5 minutes of your time to help little, ole , uninsured me. I feel very humbled by your graciousness. I had insurance at one point so was already a patient with my current doctor. Hes stuck with me, I guess. My previous dr at the same practice got very rude with me but thankfully she left the practice shortly thereafter. I'm cutting into their kickbacks. I only go in for prescription refills. My image of a kind. helpful doctor has been blown. Alas, it is what it is. However I just read that self pay is growing. Hopefully we can run the insurance companies out of business.
To the new future!
Old 12-27-2019, 07:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
He's 60 and in good health. He doesn't qualify for Medicaid in Florida. Have to be over 64, or blind or disabled, or have a parent, child, or spouse living in the house who is either blind or disabled.

Florida chose not to participate in Medicaid expansion so healthy seniors who can't afford to pay for their insurance are generally out of luck til they're 65.
Huh? I said that, if you don't have any money, you can apply for Medicaid. You don't need to be 65 to get Medicaid if you meet the income and poverty requirements, and other criteria.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 12-27-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:26 PM
Veteran member

Call Florida Blue at 352-259-0066 in The Villages. They are part of The Villages health care.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:28 PM

Quote:

And I thank you for sparing 5 minutes of your time to help little, ole , uninsured me. I feel very humbled by your graciousness. I had insurance at one point so was already a patient with my current doctor. Hes stuck with me, I guess. My previous dr at the same practice got very rude with me but thankfully she left the practice shortly thereafter. I'm cutting into their kickbacks. I only go in for prescription refills. My image of a kind. helpful doctor has been blown. Alas, it is what it is. However I just read that self pay is growing. Hopefully we can run the insurance companies out of business.
To the new future!
Old 12-27-2019, 09:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Hi Gigi. Just wanted to tell you that you are not alone. Since I am on no medications, my situation is a little different than yours. I decided to go self-pay at the beginning of this year and plan to continue until I reach 65 in another 16 months. I knew that I would lose my primary doctor because TVH does not accept self-pay patients, even ones who were already patieints. Alas, it is part of the risk that I have taken on.

The Urgent Care Centers in the area do take cash patients. Used them once for an injury.
Old 12-27-2019, 09:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

What if you fall off a ladder, get in an auto accident, develop cancer suddenly, etc.?
Old 12-27-2019, 10:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
What if you fall off a ladder, get in an auto accident, develop cancer suddenly, etc.?
Exactly, get health insurance. At least catastrophic insurance. An event such as listed above and you are bankrupt. Even worse, you can go to an emergency room and they can't turn you away. Then all the TOV members with health insurance will have their premiums go up to cover you not being insured.
Old 12-27-2019, 11:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

IMO, if you on blood pressure medication you’re not all that healthy. I’m 67 and don’t take one pill 💊 regularly. Occasionally I get headaches from prior brain tumor. Even when you turn 65 and get Medicare searching for doctor will still be problem down here.
Closed Thread

Tags
meds, blood, insurance, pressure, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.