No health insurance

Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2019, 09:48 AM

Never personally used - but - heard that a website called drsays can do that - believe it cost around $35.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:49 AM

I don't know where the OP lives, but maybe she should come rent for a month and spend her time visiting doctor offices to find out if they take cash patients. She obviously has a strong anti-insurance opinion, so she doesn't need or want insurance information. She says she has funds and can afford future treatment (that's debatable, but moot at this point.) If she wants to take her chances on her health future and chooses to pay until she's broke, that's her choice. Maybe her doctor was mad because she wanted to go out of the country for the medications. She apparently didn't follow-up on the reason and assumes it was "kickback". Only "kickback" I've ever seen is free lunch for office staff once in a while from a drug rep and I don't know that those are even done any longer. I would think that an urgent-care facility would not prescribe a yearly refill, but I've never gone to one for that. Personally, I guess I'd prefer to come to The Villages and enjoy retirement instead of wondering where to get health care. But in the interest of being sure, she can research by calling/visiting offices and do it before she moves permanently. Her choices in health care and insurance have nothing to do with whether she can afford to live in The Villages--that would be another whole topic. I'd get a refill before I moved and then I'd have a year to look into it. Worse case scenario is she has to go back to her current place once a year and get the prescription refilled.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post

So, insurance was a mistake originally. If people had to pay out of pocket for these additional test, it would be a whole different story. Why people just cant accept that life ends is beyond me. We die! Accept it.
THAT was you take home message from my post????? All I can say is an (uneducated) WOW!
Old 12-28-2019, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I do realize that prices are set by the Government, but they shouldn't be. And, all insurance copay or coinsurance payments should be based on a percentage of the cost, not a fixed charge, like $20. The current system does not benefit or encourage cost reduction by competitive pricing that involves the patient.

How would you like to buy insurance for groceries? You go to Publix, where there are no prices on the shelf, and you just pick up whatever you want and walk out because it's covered by insurance?
Actually, I wouldn't have a problem with it, as long as the situation was the same as medical fees---price for everything the exact same at Publix, Winn-Dixie, Fresh Market, Walmart and Aldi's and I paid $10.00 copay. The only reason to know the price is to comparison shop, which cannot be done when all the fees are set the same. (and curiosity)
Old 12-28-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
THAT was you take home message from my post????? All I can say is an (uneducated) WOW!
How should I have taken it?
Old 12-28-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Also, why should my finances be tied to others? Cause someone wants to sit on the couch munching doritos all day shouldnt mean I have to pay.

Last edited by Gigi3000; 12-28-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I am not sure I follow why you would do nothing if you were diagnosed with cancer. You are 61 years old and might very well make into your eighties or even beyond (the actuarial tables have you living another 24 years). Do you realize that you can be successfully treated for many forms of cancer? For example, my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and she would most likely be dead today if it wasn't successfully treated. I was also diagnosed with cancer and non-treatment was never an option.
I was diagnosed with uterine cancer 10 years ago, at 58. Had a hysterectomy, no further treatment needed. I have greatly enjoyed the last ten years and look forward to many more.

Had I decided "it was my time" and passed on the surgery, I would probably be dead now (and it wouldn't have been an easy death!)

To each her own, I guess ...

kathy
Old 12-28-2019, 01:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts12755 View Post
If you're near the Mexican border you can just cross the border and go to a pharmacy and get your pills without a prescrition.
You can get some meds in Mexico without a prescription but many do require one (and from a Mexican doctor). Just saying ...

k.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote:
I've gone off one medication, had another reduced. I'm hoping to be off all meds soon. I need a good doctor that isnt driven by drug kickbacks. These direct pay doctors I've been reading about sound very hopeful! You pay a flat fee, probably around $80, every month and basic services are covered. It seems to be hard to get into a good one tho, too much demand.

I hope you find what you’re looking for, I don’t judge someone opinions or actions. As with most all insurance’s it’s scheme. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,298 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
I've gone off one medication, had another reduced. I'm hoping to be off all meds soon. I need a good doctor that isnt driven by drug kickbacks. These direct pay doctors I've been reading about sound very hopeful! You pay a flat fee, probably around $80, every month and basic services are covered. It seems to be hard to get into a good one tho, too much demand.
If you pay a flat fee per month to the doc use it or lose it - that's called insurance. Your lack of disclosure or should I call it progressive disclosure on this topic does not pass the smell test. You have exhibited enough intelligence on this subject that you certainly can figure out how to get blood pressure med.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
If you pay a flat fee per month to the doc use it or lose it - that's called insurance. Your lack of disclosure or should I call it progressive disclosure on this topic does not pass the smell test. You have exhibited enough intelligence on this subject that you certainly can figure out how to get blood pressure med.
Yes, I believe I can get them, thanks! Everyone was very helpful! A flat fee per month of less than $100 is better than $1000. It fits my situation. That is being a good business person. How do you get progressive outta that, pray tell. Isnt it being a good capitalist? Using the market and competition and all? Sorry, I dont want to fund your excessive testing....

Last edited by Gigi3000; 12-28-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,298 Times in 819 Posts

Quote:
Yes, I believe I can get them, thanks! Everyone was very helpful! A flat fee per month of less than $100 is better than $1000. It fits my situation. That is being a good business person. How do you get progressive outta that, pray tell. Isnt it being a good capitalist? Using the market and competition and all? Sorry, I dont want to fund your excessive testing....
We are quite happy here in Utopia. Funding and handouts is not what we are looking for. By far most of us have paid our dues and kicking back and trying to enjoy the few perks left with a great appreciation of what we have and earned. Good luck to your future endeavours.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
We are quite happy here in Utopia. Funding and handouts is not what we are looking for. By far most of us have paid our dues and kicking back and trying to enjoy the few perks left with a great appreciation of what we have and earned. Good luck to your future endeavours.

Me too. Paid into it all my life until recently.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Well, you , of course, realize I wasn't the one who originally said part of the problem with sky rocketing health care was the excessive testing. Look back in the thread. You should redirect your accusation.

Last edited by Gigi3000; 12-29-2019 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:03 PM
TOTV Moderator

Let's stay on topic about finding cash pay doctors. Arguing about "kickbacks" is detracting from the thread.

Closed Thread

Tags
meds, blood, insurance, pressure, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.