No health insurance

Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2019, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
What if you fall off a ladder, get in an auto accident, develop cancer suddenly, etc.?
I try to be careful, obviously. I hope my 401k assets are protected. I would lose the equity in my home, I'm sure. Cancer, I would do nothing. When my time is up, it's up. Boy, you all worry alot. I actually dont worry about these things. Advertising is meant to scare you into worrying excessively, I know. BUT, I know these things could happen.

Last edited by Gigi3000; 12-28-2019 at 05:44 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Exactly, get health insurance. At least catastrophic insurance. An event such as listed above and you are bankrupt. Even worse, you can go to an emergency room and they can't turn you away. Then all the TOV members with health insurance will have their premiums go up to cover you not being insured.
How about instead of guilting me into getting insurance, you drop yours. You are pushing up the cost of health care by not taking a stand.
Like I said previously, when my time is up, it's up. You wont find me languishing in some hospital while they milk my insurance coverage.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO, if you on blood pressure medication you’re not all that healthy. I’m 67 and don’t take one pill ������ regularly. Occasionally I get headaches from prior brain tumor. Even when you turn 65 and get Medicare searching for doctor will still be problem down here.
I've gone off one medication, had another reduced. I'm hoping to be off all meds soon. I need a good doctor that isnt driven by drug kickbacks. These direct pay doctors I've been reading about sound very hopeful! You pay a flat fee, probably around $80, every month and basic services are covered. It seems to be hard to get into a good one tho, too much demand.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,299 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post
How about instead of guilting me into getting insurance, you drop yours. You are pushing up the cost of health care by not taking a stand.
Like I said previously, when my time is up, it's up. You wont find me languishing in some hospital while they milk my insurance coverage.
That is a two sided coin. People without insurance going to doctors or hospital and skipping payment drives up health insurance costs. This subject is getting very close to the affordable care act discussions both pro and con. Your desire to move here is being stymied by not finding a cash only doctor. Well just a few short years ago many of us prior to Medicare found it difficult to become Florida residents due to the fact we could not get health insurance if we had pre existing conditions. I also suspect your desire to crusade against health insurance (that is fine) is stronger than your desire to move to TV.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
I've gone off one medication, had another reduced. I'm hoping to be off all meds soon. I need a good doctor that isnt driven by drug kickbacks. These direct pay doctors I've been reading about sound very hopeful! You pay a flat fee, probably around $80, every month and basic services are covered. It seems to be hard to get into a good one tho, too much demand.
At the beginning of this thread I was sympathizing with you, but now you have gone completely off the rails.

Please explain these "kickbacks" that you have now mentioned twice. Who "kickbacks" what to whom? Do you think physicians attend 4 years college, 4 years medical school, 3 to 9 years residency to engage in criminal behavior for chump change???? And from WHOM???

After practicing medicine for 30+ years, I have never seen or heard of anything like "kickbacks" I suppose you also think FDR allowed the attack on Pearl Harbor and the alien bodies are housed in area 51. And if you think you can join a concierge practice for $80/month, good luck, especially if any of those physicians read this thread.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
At the beginning of this thread I was sympathizing with you, but now you have gone completely off the rails.

Please explain these "kickbacks" that you have now mentioned twice. Who "kickbacks" what to whom? Do you think physicians attend 4 years college, 4 years medical school, 3 to 9 years residency to engage in criminal behavior for chump change???? And from WHOM???

After practicing medicine for 30+ years, I have never seen or heard of anything like "kickbacks" I suppose you also think FDR allowed the attack on Pearl Harbor and the alien bodies are housed in area 51. And if you think you can join a concierge practice for $80/month, good luck, especially if any of those physicians read this thread.

So are you saying the drug companies NEVER gave you money based on prescribing medication? This is what I mean by a kickback. Also, if this wasnt the case, why was my original doctor mean to me after I dropped my insurance, even tho I was paying full price for my office visit, labs etc...?I. I'll answer my own question. It was because I asked for my RX scripts to send out of the country for filling. She couldnt get her KICKBACK!!

Last edited by Gigi3000; 12-28-2019 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
That is a two sided coin. People without insurance going to doctors or hospital and skipping payment drives up health insurance costs. This subject is getting very close to the affordable care act discussions both pro and con. Your desire to move here is being stymied by not finding a cash only doctor. Well just a few short years ago many of us prior to Medicare found it difficult to become Florida residents due to the fact we could not get health insurance if we had pre existing conditions. I also suspect your desire to crusade against health insurance (that is fine) is stronger than your desire to move to TV.
Everytime I've gone to the doctor, I've had to pay, in full, right then and there. Unsure how people rack up bill's they are unwilling/unable to pay. Credit is killing this country.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
So are you saying the drug companies NEVER gave you money based on prescribing medication? This is what I mean by a kickback. Also, if this wasnt the case, why was my original doctor mean to me after I dropped my insurance, even tho I was paying full price for my office visit, labs etc...?
Yes, that is EXACTLY what I am saying. You are spouting off on a subject you know nothing about. So, in your delusional fantasy world, how does a physician get these "kickbacks" Does he meet Clarence Beeks from the movie "Trading Places" in a dark corner of a parking garage and get an envelope??? Does the pharmaceutical company provide a 1099 and report these kickbacks or just add income tax evasion to the list of charges? Very simply, the drug companies wouldn't want anything to do with the scenario you've suggested, nor would any physician. They couldn't pay enough to even consider it; they would lose money.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:10 AM

My girlfriend was under 65 and could not afford health Ins. she sign-up for Obamacare and got coverage she could afford, and their are plenty of doctors here in TV to choose from. Also if you are a Vet. we have a VA clinic that might help you get your meds.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:13 AM

[QUOTE=golfing eagles;1705333]Yes, that is EXACTLY what I am saying. You are spouting off on a subject you know nothing about. So, in your delusional fantasy world, how does a physician get these "kickbacks" Does he meet Clarence Beeks from the movie "Trading Places" in a dark corner of a parking garage and get an envelope??? Does the pharmaceutical company provide a 1099 and report these kickbacks or just add income tax evasion to the list of charges? Very simply, the drug companies wouldn't want anything to do with the scenario you've suggested, nor would any physician. They couldn't pay enough to even consider it; they would lose money.[/QUOTE

then why was my doctor mad? Why am I reading various stories from many sources about this? I think you're LYING. Maybe not money, but you got SOMETHING for loyality.

Last edited by Gigi3000; 12-28-2019 at 07:18 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:25 AM
Sage

Quote:

then why was my doctor mad? Why am I reading various stories from many sources about this? I think you're LYING.
Yes, if you read it on the internet it MUST be true
Just ignore a direct source and go right to the rumor mill---good thinking

I've been retired for 5 years, so give me even half a reason I would lie

Maybe your doctor was "mad" because he had your best interests at heart and realized the colossal idiocy of dropping your insurance. Or maybe he was the one doctor with direct access to Clarence Beeks

I think you should forget paying for the antihypertensive medication and get a prescription for an effective antipsychotic
Old 12-28-2019, 07:33 AM
Sage

Yes, exactly. If your MAGI is below about $65K you can get a pretty substantial subsidy with an Obamacare Plan from Florida Blue. The lower your MAGI, the higher the subsidy (until you get to the Medicaid limit). If your MAGI is above the maximum for a subsidy, you can still get a plan but it will run you about $1100 per month with an $8000 out-of-pocket maximum, as an example. There are a lot of different Obamacare compliant plans with various premiums and out-of-pocket maximums. There are also non-Obamacare compliant plans for lower cost. For example, catastrophic coverage plans for about $400 per month. The Villages Health Care will take the Florida Blue plans if you want to use them for a primary care physician.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2000 View Post
My girlfriend was under 65 and could not afford health Ins. she sign-up for Obamacare and got coverage she could afford, and their are plenty of doctors here in TV to choose from. Also if you are a Vet. we have a VA clinic that might help you get your meds.

Last edited by biker1; 12-28-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Living in the Villages is not cheap. I'm sorry to suggest this, but perhaps you should be using those dollars now to get health insurance. If your income is low the ACA AKA Obamacare will subsidize your cost. A 61 yo with untreated elevated BP is just awaiting potential complications. The cost of those complications may acutely bankrupt you or long term make your life miserable.. strokes, cardiac problems, kidney.
First off, if you are taking blood-pressure meds, you are not really healthy. If your health took a turn for the worse, it would not only bankrupt you, but people like me who do pay for insurance would have to subsidized those costs through higher insurance rates. No thank you!

If you cannot afford insurance, then you should consider living somewhere cheaper than The Villages so you have the wherewithal to buy insurance instead of forcing others to subsidize your health care.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:06 AM
Sage

I am not sure I follow why you would do nothing if you were diagnosed with cancer. You are 61 years old and might very well make into your eighties or even beyond (the actuarial tables have you living another 24 years). Do you realize that you can be successfully treated for many forms of cancer? For example, my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and she would most likely be dead today if it wasn't successfully treated. I was also diagnosed with cancer and non-treatment was never an option.

Quote:
I try to be careful, obviously. I hope my 401k assets are protected. I would lose the equity in my home, I'm sure. Cancer, I would do nothing. When my time is up, it's up. Boy, you all worry alot. I actually dont worry about these things. Advertising is meant to scare you into worrying excessively, I know. BUT, I know these things could happen.

Last edited by biker1; 12-28-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:09 AM

We don't have normal insurance and our meds are not paid. We go to a primary care Dr. In Ocala. Pay monthly and our meds are very cheap because they fill them there. My BP med is $2.
You can also use good RX and GSK as discount cards, but I think you will have to have a Dr call in a prescription an all cases.
Good luck
Closed Thread

Tags
meds, blood, insurance, pressure, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.