No health insurance

Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2019, 08:10 AM
Send a message via AIM to HelenLCSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigi3000 View Post
I am 61 and want to move to The Villages. I am healthy but take blood pressure meds. I have no insurance but need my blood pressure meds refilled. How do I find a doctor to do this? I need the prescription given to me so I can mail it to get it filled.
I am confused as to why you Don’t have health insurance. If you are on blood pressure medication you need monitoring by physician. If you can’t afford health insurance you probably will not be able to afford to live in the villages.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

At least the OP is willing to pay cash for his health care. In my opinion, the only way to reduce the outrageous cost for healthcare is to require all patients to participate in their own healthcare cost with an affordable copay, based on a percentage of the total cost. Healthcare providers should be required to display prices for all of their services on their website. Then, patients could shop around for the best service and price. Insurance companies should not be allowed fo cover healthcare costs at 100 percent where the patient doesn't care, or even know, the actual cost for their treatment.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
At least the OP is willing to pay cash for his health care. In my opinion, the only way to reduce the outrageous cost for healthcare is to require all patients to participate in their own healthcare cost with an affordable copay, based on a percentage of the total cost. Healthcare providers should be required to display prices for all of their services on their website. Then, patients could shop around for the best service and price. Insurance companies should not be allowed fo cover healthcare costs at 100 percent where the patient doesn't care, or even know, the actual cost for their treatment.
Perhaps you don't realize this, but the "prices" for Medicare patients are set by the government, and the private insurers base their reimbursement on a percentage of the Medicare fee, usually 115%. So a display would be exactly the same for all physicians in the same specialty and geographic area. And most insurances have some type of co-pay, so your premise is already in place. Besides, physician services only account for 9% of the total health cost in the US.

So what drives "the outrageous" cost of healthcare?
1) technology--everyone wants "a test"
2) litigation---Out of a 3 trillion dollar/year healthcare bill, estimates show up to 800 billion is wasted on useless tests ordered defensively to avoid lawsuits
3) pharmaceutical costs---It now takes almost 1 billion and 6 years to bring a drug to market, only for the company to get sued at every opportunity. My suggestions is that all plaintiff's attorneys engaged in healthcare lawsuits have to receive THEIR treatment with technology and drugs from 100 years ago and see how they change their tune
4) long term care---Americans are living much longer and fewer and fewer families take care of their parents at home

The problem is that there is so much $$$$ involved that no one really wants to change it. Hilary was supposed to fix it in the first hundred days of 1993 Obamacare is a total joke that has driven to cost up further and is the biggest tax hike in history. European models don't really work. They do in a small country, but with 330 million Americans not so much. Plus European systems rely on rationing to keep cost down, something I doubt America is willing to accept. So for now I'm afraid the spiral will continue.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:44 AM

@biker1: my goal is not to live as long as possible. My greatest fear is being in a nursing home, ain't gonna happen

@golfingeagle: I highly doubt you were a doctor. You just dont sound that educated. Getting derogatory and demeaning someone during a debate sounds, well, redneck. You havent proven anything.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
@biker1: my goal is not to live as long as possible. My greatest fear is being in a nursing home, ain't gonna happen

@golfingeagle: I highly doubt you were a doctor. You just dont sound that educated. Getting derogatory and demeaning someone during a debate sounds, well, redneck. You havent proven anything.
You proceed from the false assumption that I was debating you. No, I was trying to educate someone with a very limited grasp on the healthcare system and a head full of internet gossip and rumor that has no foundation in reality. Not educated?
I'll give you more credit if you can tell me the genus and species of the intermediate host of Schistosoma mansoni, or the vector of Trympanasoma cruzi, or even what color human blood is
Old 12-28-2019, 08:56 AM
Sage

Oh boy, where do I start.

What you want to avoid is dying prematurely of something that is entirely curable, such as skin cancer, or having your quality of your life diminish prematurely because you failed to address a treatable health issue. When your life is no longer worth living you can always get a Dr. K kit - nobody is going to force you into a nursing home. Your life is not a practice run, you don't get a second chance.

I am pretty sure golfingeagle is a retired Dr. You would be well advised to listen to his advise because I am pretty sure he knows more than you.

This thread should be closed.

Quote:

Old 12-28-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenLCSW View Post
I am confused as to why you Don’t have health insurance. If you are on blood pressure medication you need monitoring by physician. If you can’t afford health insurance you probably will not be able to afford to live in the villages.

I AM monitored!!!! Who said I cant afford health insurance???
Old 12-28-2019, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Perhaps you don't realize this, but the "prices" for Medicare patients are set by the government, and the private insurers base their reimbursement on a percentage of the Medicare fee, usually 115%. So a display would be exactly the same for all physicians in the same specialty and geographic area. And most insurances have some type of co-pay, so your premise is already in place. Besides, physician services only account for 9% of the total health cost in the US.

2) litigation---Out of a 3 trillion dollar/year healthcare bill, estimates show up to 800 billion is wasted on useless tests ordered defensively to avoid lawsuits
3) pharmaceutical costs---It now takes almost 1 billion and 6 years to bring a drug to market, only for the company to get sued at every opportunity. My suggestions is that all plaintiff's attorneys engaged in healthcare lawsuits have to receive THEIR treatment with technology and drugs from 100 years ago and see how they change their tune
4) long term care---Americans are living much longer and fewer and fewer families take care of their parents at home

The problem is that there is so much $$$$ involved that no one really wants to change it. Hilary was supposed to fix it in the first hundred days of 1993 Obamacare is a total joke that has driven to cost up further and is the biggest tax hike in history. European models don't really work. They do in a small country, but with 330 million Americans not so much. Plus European systems rely on rationing to keep cost down, something I doubt America is willing to accept. So for now I'm afraid the spiral will continue.
I do realize that prices are set by the Government, but they shouldn't be. And, all insurance copay or coinsurance payments should be based on a percentage of the cost, not a fixed charge, like $20. The current system does not benefit or encourage cost reduction by competitive pricing that involves the patient.

How would you like to buy insurance for groceries? You go to Publix, where there are no prices on the shelf, and you just pick up whatever you want and walk out because it's covered by insurance?
Old 12-28-2019, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Huh? I said that, if you don't have any money, you can apply for Medicaid. You don't need to be 65 to get Medicaid if you meet the income and poverty requirements, and other criteria.
...and other criteria. The other criteria is being disabled or blind, and the OP already said he/she is in good health. So they would not qualify for Medicaid. I know this because I was qualified in Connecticut since that state expanded Medicaid, but did not qualify in Florida because FL did not expand Medicaid.

Poverty alone does NOT qualify people in Florida for Medicaid.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:11 AM

When you move to TV then look into the healthcare marketplace. Even tho the enrollement time has passed you are doing a life event by moving to Florida, guess I am assuming your comming from another state. Based on your income , doesnt have to be low, you can get insurance through them. You may get some assistance with the cost Florida Blue is one of the choices so that gives you many dr's. Otherwise go to a emergency care clinic they will be happy to take your money.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:12 AM

If you're near the Mexican border you can just cross the border and go to a pharmacy and get your pills without a prescrition.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:21 AM

@golfingeagle quote Perhaps you don't realize this, but the "prices" for Medicare patients are set by the government, and the private insurers base their reimbursement on a percentage of the Medicare fee, usually 115%. So a display would be exactly the same for all physicians in the same specialty and geographic area. And most insurances have some type of co-pay, so your premise is already in place. Besides, physician services only account for 9% of the total health cost in the US.

The problem is that there is so much $$$$ involved that no one really wants to change it. Hilary was supposed to fix it in the first hundred days o

So, insurance was a mistake originally. If people had to pay out of pocket for these additional test, it would be a whole different story. Why people just cant accept that life ends is beyond me. We die! Accept it.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Oh boy, where do I start.

What you want to avoid is dying prematurely of something that is entirely curable, such as skin cancer, or having your quality of your life diminish prematurely because you failed to address a treatable health issue. When your life is no longer worth living you can always get a Dr. K kit - nobody is going to force you into a nursing home. Your life is not a practice run, you don't get a second chance.

I am pretty sure golfingeagle is a retired Dr. You would be well advised to listen to his advise because I am pretty sure he knows more than you.

This thread should be closed.
Oh, I'm going to treat some things, if easily treated.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
<snip> This thread should be closed.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champion6 View Post
Why? Its informative.
Closed Thread

Tags
meds, blood, insurance, pressure, find

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.