No luck in finding a doctor

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2014, 11:51 PM
Default No luck in finding a doctor

Been here 2 years and have not found a good one yet;
Ten doc's later. I have a very poor opinion of the villages health care.

Go north !!
Old 09-23-2014, 05:40 AM
Sage

I go to Dr. Felix Agbo. I find him to be very personable and bright.

910 Old Camp Rd. Ste 144 in LSL, 753.2224

He also has meet and greet appointments, where you can decide, if you want to engage his services.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 09-23-2014, 07:37 AM
Smile

You can find no better than Dr. Gegaj at Premier Medical Center
Old 09-23-2014, 07:42 AM
Veteran member

One person went thru ten doctors??? A problem with the medical or.......
Old 09-23-2014, 07:45 AM
Sage

I agree with billybye that Dr. Gegaj is wonderful, however when I needed to see him on two occasions I called and was told he had no openings and to go to Urgent Care. I was a patient of his and once each year I needed to see him and was unable to. I rarely go to the Dr., but when I do I expect to get in within 24 hours. If your really sick, waiting more than 24 hours is not an option. Dr. Gegaj is great but if your going for anything other than your annual physical, which is scheduled way ahead of time, you will most likely be out of luck. I have since switched doctors and called Gegaj's office to let them know why.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Someone posted some time ago that the standards for medicine throughout Florida are lower than in many of the states that most of us grew up in.

Was it Bizdoc who showed that even the Shands Hospital at Gainesville is associated with a medical school who is not in the top 40??? I may be wrong.

Many doctors in this area are trained outside of the U.S. and may be alright medically but sometimes do not do things in the way we expect. I just sometimes don't feel secure.

I go to a Doctor with whom I seem to have to go over in detail Helene's medical history each time and it is quite involved. I don't know if the staff does not input his notes or the information sent to them, or what.

I think he is smart but his staff will not have labs charted even two weeks after the draw. Last week they sent our prescriptions to a local pharmacy, again, instead of the one that our insurance directs that is not local.

Of course Doctors don't ply their trade for the good of mankind, only, but because they too must earn a living, and I don't mind that at all. They spend years and years and years getting educated. I just would like to pick the best ones for us as we age and have ever increasing need for good medicine. I want to do it while I can, because things are changing and I may not always be able to.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:58 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Sized View Post
Old 09-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
I might have done the same if I could find nine better. We are on our second PCP here and in Ohio we had the same doctors for many, many, years.

I would change now because of the inabilities of the office staff but .............

We interviewed one doctor recommended by several people. He had been in jail for non support and is not board certified. Maybe those things aren't important, but I would just as soon not have to choose a doctor, knowing that.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:28 AM

We see Dr. Martinez-Cruz and he's been wonderful. Listens and really tries to get to the bottom of the issues.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:30 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Sized View Post
Since you don't know why this poster has had to go through ten Dr's , don't assume anything. If you have a specific problem, It can be EXTREMELY hard finding a Dr that cares or even wants to help someone with an undiagnosed condition or an unusual condition. It IS difficult findinding caring Dr's here in TV. The medical care is substandard.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:21 AM
Veteran member

DR. EVALLE is very good and doesn't rush you. he is on Wedgewood.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:33 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamby View Post

Go north !!
Sorry to hear this. We have been here 14 1/2 years and I have some of the best Drs. and I do love the Villages Health Care. My Dr's NP went there and I followed her even though I did love my Dr. as well. Many times I have gotten in to see her the next day.
I did go through a few Drs when we first moved here, but we didn't have that many Drs back then to choose from.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:51 AM
Gold member

When people complain about their medicare advantage plan premium rising from $0.00 up to a "whopping" $36 per month, it points to the adage "you pay for what you get".

As payments to providers are cut and cut again, one can't expect the excellent doctors to come here (with medicare and insurance paying less than cost of running the place) where the number and concentration of such plans is so intense.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamby View Post
Go north !!
You have been to 10 different doctors in 2 years? I have to think the problem is not the doctors. Probably a common problem of..... "everything is better up north".....attitude.
Doctors down here went to the same schools and read the same books as those "up north".
Reminds me of an uncle visiting from Pittsburgh in the early 50's and got a toothache. He had to cancel his visit and return to Pittsburgh to go to his dentist since he couldn't trust a dentist "down here".
Old 09-23-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
You have been to 10 different doctors in 2 years? I have to think the problem is not the doctors. Probably a common problem of..... "everything is better up north".....attitude.
Doctors down here went to the same schools and read the same books as those "up north".
Reminds me of an uncle visiting from Pittsburgh in the early 50's and got a toothache. He had to cancel his visit and return to Pittsburgh to go to his dentist since he couldn't trust a dentist "down here".

OP was only complaining about the doctors here in the Villages health care. Maybe the comment about going north meant looking for a doctor in Ocala. Majority of doctors in TV won't accept the majority of insurance anymore, only Medicare, United Healthcare, BC/BS, and a few others. And for those like me who do not have Medicare yet, it is extremely difficult to even get a doctor. I did have to go Ocala and found 3 fantastic doctors (different specialties) and no problem with any accepting my insurance (which is excellent and has been accepted all across the country, except here in TV). Some, not all, doctors in TV would only consider my insurance if it was my secondary and not my primary. So I guess I too have an "everything better up north" attitude since I go to Ocala for my medical care.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.