Non invasive spinal surgery??

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2015, 08:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Well just my two cents but size of the incision doesn't mean a whole lot compared to that infection rate. A good OR staff is what causes less infection right not the size of an incision. I have seen an incision from stem to stern without any infection whatsoever. And have seen a 1 inch incision come back infected. Well trained staff is your key to no bring back
And the cleanliness of the facility, and the processing of the surgical instruments, etc. etc. etc. it's more than just the OR staff. They are important - but not solely responsible.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:54 PM
Default Alternatives

There are many good orthopedic and neurological surgeons in central Florida, and they all offer minimally invasive surgery (MIS), the new standard. MIS is always preferred if it can be used to minimize pain and recovery time.

I found Jewett Orthpaedic Clinic in Winter Park. This practice was founded in 1939 and has an outstanding reputation. They are the practice of choice for the Orlando Magic, the Predators (arena football team), and Cirque du Soleil. They have 25 doctors on staff, organized into specialty groups. The spinal surgery group includes 5 surgeons.

A herniated disk was pressing on a nerve coming out of my spine. The sciatic pain from the hip to foot of my left leg was pure agony and nothing would solve the problem short of a micro diskectomy. Dr. Gregory Munson performed the surgery at Florida Hospital South in Orlando. I cannot say enough positive things about Dr. Munson, his staff, and the hospital. With all private rooms and an attentive and considerate staff, the hospital stay was exceptional. Dr. Munson asked the admitting physician to keep me under observation over night, because I was admitted only after clearance from my cardiologist. Medicare covered everything.

There is a 5% chance of the problem returning, usually in 5-7 months. Having read some of the comments here, I have to think that at least some of those cases are the result of people failing to take the lengthy recovery period seriously.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:42 PM
Platinum member
Default Good experience

I suffered "age related lower lumbar stenosis" complicated by a trip-and-fall injury to my thoracic spine before I could get the stenosis treated. The fall left me with three crushed vertebra which was so painful that I sat in a recliner chair 24 hours a day. The pain was so great that I could not lie down in bed.

When Dr. Ronzo saw my MRI he told me he could remove the pain with kyphoplasty using minimally invasive surgery. He did. It did not solve all of my problems but it got rid of the intense pain. The incision was so small that it was covered with a band-aid. I could have been released from the hospital on the same day as the surgery if I had not had an allergic reaction to an antiseptic that they used on my.

The surgery was at The Villages Regional Hospital and Medicare and my secondary insurance (BC/BS) paid for it.

My other spinal problems were so extensive that my primary care doctor wanted me to go to a highly regarded surgeon in Ocala. That doctor was so concerned that he had me consult with an Orthopedic surgery instructor at University of Florida (Shands Hospital). My subsequent surgery, both lower lumbar and thoracic spine, involved major open incisions and repair.

I don't know what to say about a herniated disc, and am not sure that a laminectomy is even the proper procedure to repair it.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
minimally invasive by Bono and Ronzo is operating through a one inch long incision. Minimal blood loss. No cutting of muscle tissue. Almost no infection. Out the door the same day. Back to driving a car after 24 hours. Swing a golf club after one week.

Traditional surgery is a minimum of 6 inches long by 4 inch wide opening in the body to get at the same spot. Significantly higher infection exposure. Higher blood loss. Two to 4 days in the hospital. Weeks of recovery with physical therapy.

Not selling anything here. I have been researching the options for some time.

Laser repair is not the same as minimally invasive and is more invasive.

If one needs to have a spinal repair surgery (or any other surgery for that matter) then they become very motivated to spend the time doing the research and understanding all the options.

And if one is fortunate enough to have a problem that is not urgent then take the time......like maybe wait for BioSpine Institute to get medicare approval....which they will.
I've had three disc operations and they were all done with a one inch incision. The first was done at Massachusetts General Hospital and the others were done at the New England Baptist Spine Center. NE Baptist is ranked as one of the top orthopedic hospitals in the world. People come from all over the world to be treated there. Jack Nicklaus had a hip replacement there. Larry Bird had his back operated on there and the King of Saudi Arabia was being treated there at the same time as I.

My surgeons told me that almost no one is doing basic discectomies or lamanectomies using 4-6 inch decisions any more. My first surgery was in 1989.

After my first surgery, I stayed overnight and came home the next day. I was up and walking within 30 minutes of coming out of the anesthesia. The second two surgeries, I was home the same day.

Big incisions and two to three day stays at a hospital are archaic.

It seems to me that "non-invasive" and surgery are conflicting terms. Minimally invasive is pretty much standard procedure today.

I went through several different non-invasive procedures prior to my surgeries. A good surgeon will try to avoid surgery. But, if a patient is having severe pain down the leg and foot for more than three months, it's time to have the surgery. After three months, the chances of the situation improving is almost zero.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:26 PM

Think TEN times (and get 3 opinions, asking to speak with former patients) before someone touches you for any kind of surgery there is NO reversal to pathological impact of the scar tissue!! BTW, are Ronzo and Bono members of the "Association for Medical Ethics in Spine Surgery"???
http://www.ethicaldoctor.org/about-ame/

Last edited by MoeVonB61; 02-20-2015 at 11:33 PM. Reason: A
Old 02-21-2015, 09:03 AM
Sage

I can't speak to this practice, however I can tell of my experience with non-evasive spinal surgery. I had a discsectomy 4 yrs ago by Dr. Spurrier (who no longer in in The Villages). He's a neurosurgeon and didn't do surgery unless it was indicated. My experience was a ruptured lumbar disc which was excruciating. The surgery left 'maybe' a 2" scar and the recovery time was 2 weeks after which I was given the "go and do anything you want" from the doctor. I would do my homework if I were to have any spinal surgery. Not sure I'd have an orthopedic surgeon do it but it they have high accredidation and they're the only ones available, then perhaps. I've heard of a neurosurgical practice in Ocala....have you checked with them??
Old 02-25-2015, 01:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
There are always patients who cancel at the last minute or fail their pre-op EKG or whatever.
I could be wrong, but from reading previous posts I think this may be the problem that prevents surgery. To be clear, are you saying a heart condition would make the OP ineligible for surgery?
Old 02-25-2015, 08:52 PM
Platinum member
Post Risk assessment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I could be wrong, but from reading previous posts I think this may be the problem that prevents surgery. To be clear, are you saying a heart condition would make the OP ineligible for surgery?
In my experience, my surgeons required a written clearance from my cardiologist before the surgeons would operate.

The form indicates the level of risk involved, which includes low risk, medium risk and high risk. Approval is sometimes given even when it involves high risk because going without the particular surgery would leave the patient with an unacceptably poor quality of life.

There is a separate sentence where the cardiologist either approves or disapproves the surgery.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
In my experience, my surgeons required a written clearance from my cardiologist before the surgeons would operate.

The form indicates the level of risk involved, which includes low risk, medium risk and high risk. Approval is sometimes given even when it involves high risk because going without the particular surgery would leave the patient with an unacceptably poor quality of life.

There is a separate sentence where the cardiologist either approves or disapproves the surgery.
Dr. Bono does require the release/approval of my cardiologist prior to scheduling surgery.
I am still investigating. I have not decided what if anything to do. I am fortunate that pain or debilitation is chronic......but when it flares it is very miserable.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I can't speak to this practice, however I can tell of my experience with non-evasive spinal surgery. I had a discsectomy 4 yrs ago by Dr. Spurrier (who no longer in in The Villages). He's a neurosurgeon and didn't do surgery unless it was indicated. My experience was a ruptured lumbar disc which was excruciating. The surgery left 'maybe' a 2" scar and the recovery time was 2 weeks after which I was given the "go and do anything you want" from the doctor. I would do my homework if I were to have any spinal surgery. Not sure I'd have an orthopedic surgeon do it but it they have high accredidation and they're the only ones available, then perhaps. I've heard of a neurosurgical practice in Ocala....have you checked with them??
Funny I had a client and friend who was a neuroradiologist on staff at Mass General Hospital and he told me that the best people to do these procedures are orthopedic surgeons who specialize in the spine. In fact most of the docs that do them at NE Baptist are orthopedic surgeons. They are highly specialized however. The guy that did mine specializes in surgery of the lumbar region.
What you don't want is some guy who does a shoulder in the morning followed by a knee replacement and then is going to mess around with your spine after all that. You want a doc that does spine surgery only.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I had Lumbar Spinal Fusion (L4, L5) performed on me 22 years ago by an orthopedic surgeon. He was assisted by a neurosurgeon. Been pain free since the surgery. I also had the same orthopedic surgeon perform Cervical Spinal Fusion 8 years ago.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:24 PM
Sage

Do doctors recommend for or against golfing after surgery?

It seems to me that the human spine was not designed for golfing. Cavemen didn't play golf, golf has come about sometime in the early 1400s.
Could be that the human spine has not had time to adapt.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Do doctors recommend for or against golfing after surgery?

It seems to me that the human spine was not designed for golfing. Cavemen didn't play golf, golf has come about sometime in the early 1400s.
Could be that the human spine has not had time to adapt.
I had an L4L5S1 fusion in 1969. Took up golf in 2012. I'm not a very good player but I think it helps keep me a little more limber and my doc has not discouraged me from playing. I think it is a matter of individual ability and interest.

What do you think?
Old 03-03-2015, 05:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I had an L4L5S1 fusion in 1969. Took up golf in 2012. I'm not a very good player but I think it helps keep me a little more limber and my doc has not discouraged me from playing. I think it is a matter of individual ability and interest.

What do you think?
Good for you! I suppose it can be done. I haven't done any research on this.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Inactivity is the enemy of your body....especially at our age.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.