Now here's an active lady!

Closed Thread
Old 07-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Veteran member
Default Now here's an active lady!

How to lead by example. Enjoy!

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...paign=20130707

And here is a link to her blog if you are interested. Great reading.

Food Babe | Welcome to Food Babe!Food Babe | Welcome to Food Babe!

LW888
Old 07-07-2013, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

like when someone does work for me
Old 07-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
How to lead by example. Enjoy!

Van Hari: A Woman on a Mission to Change the Food Industry

And here is a link to her blog if you are interested. Great reading.

Food Babe | Welcome to Food Babe!Food Babe | Welcome to Food Babe!

LW888
Quite possibly some of this information is beef-industry propaganda. In my opinion, some of the so-called "truths" are only half truths. They take a bit of truth and blow it up into something it wasn't meant to be. Where it says, "especially healthy fats like saturated fat," saturated fat appears in blue letters. Click on that and you can read what they say about it.

It says breast milk contains 54% saturated fat and saturated fat plays an important role in development. Yes, it does for a baby! A baby undergoes rapid cell growth and cell construction requires saturated fat. But adults are not babies. We need some saturated fat in our diet but not a lot like they suggest. If you use a little extra-virgin olive oil and eat some nuts daily, you will get the proper balance of fats that you need. Or, if you wish, forget about the olive oil and just enjoy the nuts.

A little grass fed beef (3 to 4 oz serving) may be okay, but in the form of ground beef it costs about $8 per pound. And a (grass fed) steak will cost a lot more. And they talk about it being juicy. No, it's not juicy because grass fed beef is low in fat and is more likely to be tough, in my opinion. Only grain fed beef is juicy and tender.

They (the beef industry) are counting on the fact that most people will forget about the "grass-fed" part and just continue eating a lot of beef, thinking that it's healthy.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:27 PM
Veteran member

I find the grass fed long horn beef that we eat is very juicy and very tender, especially the fillets which are very lean.

I applaud the gal for going after GMO labelling and can see no reason why it should not be supported in North America. The misinformation about the risks/benefits need to be out in the open for all to see and make their choice around. I don't understand why people are not wanting to know so that they can make an informed choice. Maybe it doesn't matter so some but health wise it will make a difference down the line to all.

LW888
Old 07-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
I find the grass fed long horn beef that we eat is very juicy and very tender, especially the fillets which are very lean.

I applaud the gal for going after GMO labelling and can see no reason why it should not be supported in North America. The misinformation about the risks/benefits need to be out in the open for all to see and make their choice around. I don't understand why people are not wanting to know so that they can make an informed choice. Maybe it doesn't matter so some but health wise it will make a difference down the line to all.

LW888
I'm all for GMO labelling.

Where do you buy your long horn beef? How much do you pay for it? I can't understand how it would be juicy when the cattle are fed only grass. The fillets are lean but juicy? That seems like a contradiction. Is it treated with tenderizer or cooked in a crockpot? Do you put butter on it to make it juicy?

The woman starts out talking about the fact that processed foods contain harmful additives. If the food companies remove those additives will those foods cease to be harmful? No. But some people might get that impression, expecially if they don't read the whole article.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:44 PM
Veteran member

It think that it would be difficult to write about any subject as broad as the ones that this lady has tackled in a way that would make sense to anyone not reading the whole article. If someone were really drawn in and attracted to the subject from the first part of any article, then I would think that they would continue to read and would also start researching more info about it. But I'm not about to debate about labelling or not, or about any of the info. I just thought it was an interesting read and might encourage some people to think about the issue.

I get our longhorn beef from a local farmer down the road as we live on the western end of town and have fast access to farms. The couple are retired dairy farmers who sold their farm and started raising Texas Longhorns as a hobby. They sell the beef, one cow at a time, from a freezer in their garage, and they charge $3 a lb for hamburger and the roasts for $5 and the fillets for $12. The rest of the beef (ribs and stewing beef etc) is $5 a package so it is a very economical source for us for which we are most grateful and appreciative!

We also have a weekly farmers' fresh market for meat, produce, cheese and eggs etc as well as a separate weekly organic market, so we are very well served up here.

The Brownwood market works well for us in TV and we can get grassfed hamburger at Publix. And the fish stand at the market is great so we manage quite well in TV too. But we do eat out more there!

LW888
Old 07-08-2013, 10:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
It think that it would be difficult to write about any subject as broad as the ones that this lady has tackled in a way that would make sense to anyone not reading the whole article.
That's one of the problems with the link, the subject is too broad and she doesn't say at the outset what the ultimate goal should be. So it looks like she's fighting for safer junk food. She never says outright that fast foods or processed foods are bad for your health, regardless of whether or not they have additives.

Quote:
If someone were really drawn in and attracted to the subject from the first part of any article, then I would think that they would continue to read and would also start researching more info about it.
I doubt that will happen. It's more likely they will think that Mercola has done the reasearch for them so there's no need for further research.

Quote:
But I'm not about to debate about labelling or not, or about any of the info. I just thought it was an interesting read and might encourage some people to think about the issue.
Certainly, it has encouraged me to think about the issue and now I'm expressing my thoughts. After all, what good is a discussion board if everyone keeps their thoughts to themselves?

The article, "Dutch Get it Right and Recognize Saturated Fat is Not a Problem," by Mercola, is in itself a problem. Mercola says: "Saturated fats are GOOD for you." It's an open ended statement; it's like saying "salt is GOOD for you." Yes, salt is good for you within the normal daily requirement. It's counterproductive to make these types of wild statements without quantifying what the exact dietary need is for the average person. That's why I suspect that the "meat and dairy" industry is behind it all with their financial support.

Mercola cannot point to any reputable (large) long-term study like the China study, Okinawa study or the Adventist study. Adventists are vegitarians and have a life expectancy of 88 years. I highly doubt that Mercola can produce any study to compare with that.

Last edited by Villages PL; 07-08-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.