Now is the time to allow death with dignity.

Closed Thread
Old 07-27-2021, 08:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
For me, the question isn't even a matter of "end of life" decisions. It's "quality of life" decisions. Pain - is not something I look forward to. I don't mean just my bursitis and my life-long battle with spinal pain. I mean serious, non-stop, non-treatable neurological pain. Imagine what your life would be like, if you felt like the skin on your arms, legs, and hips was literally burning on fire, 24/7, and no amount of painkillers would make that feeling go away - and it wasn't damaging your body at all - it was just slowly driving you insane, and month after month, the doctors insisted that it *might* go away.

Would you be willing to endure that sensation, 24/7, for the next 20 years? I know I wouldn't. Could you imagine how your throat must feel after screaming non-stop for days? Can you imagine how futile and hopeless your life would be, the abject misery of merely existing, and then being informed that you are not ALLOWED to end it?
Absolutely. I completely agree. I have had long discussions about this with my family, wife, and PCP.

If something happens to me, accident, heart attack, etc., and I end up in a hospital, I do not want extraordinary measures taken unless the attending doctor has reason to believe my treatment will return me to a good or better quality of life as before the incident.

Of course, that is an extremely complicated decision, since everyone has their own opinion of what is an acceptable quality of life. For some being in a wheelchair is acceptable, for some being bedridden would be acceptable, for some a feeding tube down their throat or IV feeding would be acceptable.

My point is each of us should have the right to make OUR decision and no one should have the right to override it.

No system is perfect, but one that helps is having to have multiple non-associated doctors determine what YOUR wishes are and how they apply in the current situation.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
Absolutely. I completely agree. I have had long discussions about this with my family, wife, and PCP.

If something happens to me, accident, heart attack, etc., and I end up in a hospital, I do not want extraordinary measures taken unless the attending doctor has reason to believe my treatment will return me to a good or better quality of life as before the incident.

Of course, that is an extremely complicated decision, since everyone has their own opinion of what is an acceptable quality of life. For some being in a wheelchair is acceptable, for some being bedridden would be acceptable, for some a feeding tube down their throat or IV feeding would be acceptable.

My point is each of us should have the right to make OUR decision and no one should have the right to override it.

No system is perfect, but one that helps is having to have multiple non-associated doctors determine what YOUR wishes are and how they apply in the current situation.
I'd be fine with a wheelchair. I'd be fine with almost anything, but pain - not so much. If the only treatment involves removal of functional brain matter, severing essential nerves, or being doped up on pain meds for the rest of my life, I'd have to give "living" some serious consideration.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post

I agree. Nicely stated.
Old 07-27-2021, 04:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'd be fine with a wheelchair. I'd be fine with almost anything, but pain - not so much. If the only treatment involves removal of functional brain matter, severing essential nerves, or being doped up on pain meds for the rest of my life, I'd have to give "living" some serious consideration.
I understand and your post is an excellent example of why it is so important for each of us to have this conversation with our family and have a medical proxy. Each of us is different and needs to make sure we know our personal desires clearly. Not only to ensure we get what we want but that we don't put them in the awkward position of fighting with each other over what they want.
Old 07-28-2021, 04:28 AM

Soylent Green is people!!!

Yoda
Old 07-28-2021, 10:42 AM
Default death with dignity

I want to have the right to determine my care at the end of my life. One of these would be Alzheimer when I no longer am able to communicate and am bedridden and starvation is my end time. The attached link is to an organization that is trying to get death with dignity recognized in the law. You may want to check it out and lend support. Home - Death With Dignity
Old 07-28-2021, 10:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vison34 View Post
I want to have the right to determine my care at the end of my life. One of these would be Alzheimer when I no longer am able to communicate and am bedridden and starvation is my end time. The attached link is to an organization that is trying to get death with dignity recognized in the law. You may want to check it out and lend support. Home - Death With Dignity
I agree you should have that right, according to my doctor at the VA in Florida any end-of-life directives you have prepared are considered a "suggestion" and are not legally binding on the doctor attending your case. Be very certain you discuss this with your doctor.
Closed Thread

Tags
dignity, die, vaccinated, people, death

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.