Nurse Practitioner vs Doctor

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2018, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,587 Times in 5,184 Posts
Default Nurse Practitioner vs Doctor

I went to the Urgent Care in Brownwood last week with a broken toe. A young woman nurse practitioner came into the exam room. I had to ask for her name and title and then she only gave me her first name. She spent most of the time on a laptop after which she glanced at my toe and told me to wrap the toe with tape. I had to ask her to do that for me and to give me a small amount of tape to take home. She offered to order an xray, but did not express any opinion about whether it was necessary. This woman obviously had no interest in learning anything about the practice of medicine. I believe a young doctor would have identified herself by title and last name, and would have done everything that I had to ask this nurse practitioner to do. A young doctor would have been eager to help and to learn something. Am I wrong?
Old 01-20-2018, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I went to the Urgent Care in Brownwood last week with a broken toe. A young woman nurse practitioner came into the exam room. I had to ask for her name and title and then she only gave me her first name. She spent most of the time on a laptop after which she told me to wrap the toe with tape. I had to ask her to do that for me and to give me a small amount of tape to take home. She offered to order an xray, but did not express any opinion about whether it was necessary. This woman obviously had no interest in learning anything about the practice of medicine. I believe a young doctor would have identified herself by title and last name, and would have done everything that I had to ask this nurse practitioner to do. A young doctor would have been eager to help and to learn something. Am I wrong?
Yes.

broken toe when to see a doctor - Bing

Nurse practitioner - Wikipedia

Last edited by graciegirl; 01-20-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:42 PM
Veteran member
Exclamation You Are 100% Correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I went to the Urgent Care in Brownwood last week with a broken toe. A young woman nurse practitioner came into the exam room. I had to ask for her name and title and then she only gave me her first name. She spent most of the time on a laptop after which she glanced at my toe and told me to wrap the toe with tape. I had to ask her to do that for me and to give me a small amount of tape to take home. She offered to order an xray, but did not express any opinion about whether it was necessary. This woman obviously had no interest in learning anything about the practice of medicine. I believe a young doctor would have identified herself by title and last name, and would have done everything that I had to ask this nurse practitioner to do. A young doctor would have been eager to help and to learn something. Am I wrong?
An emphatic No! You are not wrong!!!

Any medical professional coming in a room to treat/examine you should always identify who they are. She also should have had on a badge with her information on the badge.
For all you know, she could have been a cleaning woman!

In addition, since you went there for professional medical care, either you or your insurance company is being billed and you definitely should have been treated and not told what to do.
As far as the laptop goes, she was probably entering your information in their system.

I wouldn't let that situation go without expressing your disappointment regarding the way in which you were handled.
Call them and talk to the "boss."
Old 01-20-2018, 11:48 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

You got passed off to a NP. No good! You should have seen an MD, an orthopaedic physician or a podiatrist.

The last time I was in TV I had a respiratory bug and went to urgent care. Never saw a real MD, just a couple of NPs or whatever who were not native English speakers which troubled me. I got better but was ready to get out of Dodge to see a real physician if necessary. Scary!

They also billed the crap out of my insurance which paid even for an unnecessary chest X-ray.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 01-21-2018 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,655 Times in 938 Posts

A broken toe does not need a doctor, an x-ray, or any special care. You wrap it with tape and six weeks later it's healed. I broke a toe a year ago. I went to Walgreens for tape, in my sandals, and it healed up just fine.

I am seeing on this thread what I feel is some over-reaction.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:56 PM

Had nothing but bad experiences with 441 Urgent Care at multiple locations. Both locations we visited were staffed by young unexperienced, Nurse Practitioner with horrible snarky attitudes. I now found an excellent Urgent Care facility staffed by an MD who specializes in Emergency Medicine who spent almost an hour with us. I wont go anywhere else.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrdr View Post
Had nothing but bad experiences with 441 Urgent Care at multiple locations. Both locations we visited were staffed by young unexperienced, Nurse Practitioner with horrible snarky attitudes. I now found an excellent Urgent Care facility staffed by an MD who specializes in Emergency Medicine who spent almost an hour with us. I wont go anywhere else.
Nurse Practioners hold either a masters degree in nursing or a doctorate.

Requirements to Become A Nurse Practitioner | 2017 NurseJournal.org
Old 02-16-2018, 09:40 PM

I have found Nurse Practioners to be very caring..more involved than some doctors.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:52 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Nurse practitioners have doctorate degrees
Old 02-16-2018, 10:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrdr View Post
What is the name and location of the Urgent Care facility staffed by an MD?

I have been misdiagnosed by an NP twice. I won't be seen by one if I know how to avoid it.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
What is the name and location of the Urgent Care facility staffed by an MD?

I have been misdiagnosed by an NP twice. I won't be seen by one if I know how to avoid it.
Me to. I told them I could hardly hear because of a head cold but they kept saying my testicles were black and suggested a massage. I said what the hell do I need a massage for I just want to know if my test results are back. Sorry!

The NP'S at Santa Barbara have treated us well so far and saved the day this past Saturday. So far so great.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Me to. I told them I could hardly hear because of a head cold but they kept saying my testicles were black and suggested a massage. I said what the hell do I need a massage for I just want to know if my test results are back. Sorry!

The NP'S at Santa Barbara have treated us well so far and saved the day this past Saturday. So far so great.

Lol [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2018, 01:49 AM
Gold member

There are excellent MDs and lousy MDs, there are excellent PAs and lousy PAs, just as there are excellent NPs and lousy NPs.

In my experience, the NPs we have seen have had excellent bedside manner and diagnostic skills. Because they were first bedside RNs, they usually have excellent communication skills and are trained to treat the entire person, not just the symptoms.

Nurse Practitioners hold a Masters Degree, as a minimum, after years of experience as a RN. Many do continue their education and hold Doctorate Degrees.

You also must realize that the attitude of the patient, including any disrespect, will affect the attitude of the care provider. Communication with a care provider is a two way street. The patient has to express their concerns, ask appropriate questions and if not satisfied, should continue to ask for more information and for terms to be explained that you do not understand.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, But with a broken toe, your treatment would have probably been the same if you were seen by an MD or a PA.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:38 AM
Sage
Default Difference between Physicians Assistant and Nurse Practioner.

I read this but still find it confusing;

Nurse Practitioner Vs. Physician Assistant | 2017 NurseJournal.org
Old 02-17-2018, 08:21 AM
Veteran member

NP can write prescriptions , for one thing.
Closed Thread

Tags
young, practitioner, doctor, nurse, tape

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.