Nursing Home

Closed Thread
Old 03-01-2019, 08:51 AM
Default Nursing Home

I would appreciate any recommendations for an affordable, good nursing, home in or around The Villages. We need it for a 93 year old man with demensia, and numerous health issues. He has medicare.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Try Freedom Pointe. Medicare will cover his medical bills, but not nursing home care. I don't know what you mean by "affordable" but most people cannot afford any nursing home for more than a few months, and then they go on Medicaid. In fact the majority of people who live in a nursing home are on Medicaid. A typical nursing home will cost $100,000 or more per year.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordenny View Post
I would appreciate any recommendations for an affordable, good nursing, home in or around The Villages. We need it for a 93 year old man with demensia, and numerous health issues. He has medicare.
If by "nursing home" you mean Assisted Living, I recommend, based on personal experience with my parents, Mission Oaks (301 in Oxford).

I researched many facilities in an around the area before choosing Mission Oaks.

In addition to Assisted Living, Mission Oaks also has a Memory Care section, depending on the level of dementia this person is suffering from. If you need truly Skilled Nursing, your search will be for a completely different type of facility, and one that is much more costly.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

A second for Mission Oaks, my wife's mother was there for about 1.5 years, was well cared for in the dementia unit.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:42 AM

What is an average monthly fee for Mission Oaks or similar type facility?
Old 03-01-2019, 11:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordenny View Post
Here is a new local website that is has a section that may help you find what you are looking for:

Villagers Life Care Advocates.

Look under the section Life Care Resources on the menu at top of all pages.

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 03-01-2019, 12:16 PM

You will pay a base price and then for the level of care that is needed. The base price will cover accommodation type, meals and weekly cleaning. Some may offer more amenities for that price. They will then determine level of care needed and that is in addition to base price. My Dad is at Buffalo Crossings in a 1 bedroom and is classified at level 1 so now there is no additional cost. He has them do his laundry weekly so that and when he gets his hair cut are the additional costs.

Ballpark figures are hard as there are many factors that go into play. It was nearly a year ago I visited all the facilities. You are probably looking at a base of at least 2500 plus level of care which can be considerable. Level of care is determined by their administrator and the resident's PCP.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthOfTheBorder View Post
Here is a new local website that is has a section that may help you find what you are looking for:

Don
Helpful website. Thanks for posting.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claricecolin View Post
You will pay a base price and then for the level of care that is needed. The base price will cover accommodation type, meals and weekly cleaning. Some may offer more amenities for that price. They will then determine level of care needed and that is in addition to base price. My Dad is at Buffalo Crossings in a 1 bedroom and is classified at level 1 so now there is no additional cost. He has them do his laundry weekly so that and when he gets his hair cut are the additional costs.

Ballpark figures are hard as there are many factors that go into play. It was nearly a year ago I visited all the facilities. You are probably looking at a base of at least 2500 plus level of care which can be considerable. Level of care is determined by their administrator and the resident's PCP.
Good information to know. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthOfTheBorder View Post

Don
Thank you for the useful information.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:29 PM

I moved my mom to Mission Oaks 1 1/2 years ago from another assisted living facility. She turns 96 this year.
I am very happy with her care, their staff, the food served. Mom has dementia, but they tell me she can be managed well in the AL. Honestly, what more does a 96 year old need,,,,not the gym, the chandeliers...just goodfood and good care,
Mission Oaks supplies that.
If you have any specific questions, you can send me a message.
Closed Thread

Tags
nursing, home, man, demensia, year

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.