NYTimes article on Medicare testing

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2015, 07:46 AM
Sage
Default NYTimes article on Medicare testing

I can't find the original NYT article but it was reprinted in the Boston Globe. For some reason, it disappeared on TOTV but I found it online. Very interesting. Well worth the read.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/news/nati...RSO/story.html
Old 02-01-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcisamax View Post
I was wrong; it was the Boston Globe. For some reason, it disappeared but I found it. Very interesting. Well worth the read.
Patients find winter havens push costs up - Nation - The Boston Globe
Here's another version of the same story that I just found online from the New York Times. The map of the U.S. clearly shows central Florida, including The Villages, as a "hot spot" for excessive medical testing of seniors.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/01/us...-in-south.html
Old 02-01-2015, 09:03 AM
Sage

I am surprised so few are interested. Or is it that everyone already knew?
Old 02-01-2015, 09:29 AM
Platinum member

And what Governor bossed a company that committed one of the largest Medicare frauds?
Welcome to Florida.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 02-01-2015, 10:10 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
And what Governor bossed a company that committed one of the largest Medicare frauds?
Welcome to Florida.
Florida showed its clear willingness to vote for a candidate from your side in the 2012 presidential election.

Results of that choice are why Florida voted against your side in the 2014 governor's election.

It's always a choice of the lesser of two evils, and as the saying goes, "when you choose the lesser of two evils, you still have some evil".

Put up a decent candidate and people will vote for him/her.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:16 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Indeed abuse by Florida doctors will hurt seniors for many reasons. It appears from the articles posted here these docs are motivated by greed.

However the other side of the story could mean that perhaps some of these tests were indeed necessary? I am all for dealing with the fraud abuse

However, medicare fees have been continually reduced across the board. Now we have the government with a plan to refuse payment to medical providers based on quality of results that they (government) admits they can't define. All this means is that many hospitals and docs will forego necessary treatment regimes.

Many doctors are beginning to refuse medicare patients because they can't afford to meet the government demands and patients more and more are getting caught up in the middle of it

What I am trying to explain is that thee are two sides to the same story
Old 02-01-2015, 11:27 AM

excessive testing and procedures are evident when you see all the medical ads in the local paper, docs trawling for suckers. also earlier this week in the great NY times was an article about a fla. cardiologist specializing in stents who increased his income by also placing stents in the legs of seniors to "cure" blood vessel problems, a procedure not widely believed effective. So all you sicko's out there, beware.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:33 AM
Sage

I think we also need to look at the other side of the coin - folks that thrive on going to the doctor and having these tests done cause "it doesn't cost me anything". Let's not forget the personal responsibility side of each of us has to question the doctor and getting a second opinion when needed. We can stop a lot of the Medicare fraud ourselves by asking questions and understanding that each of us ultimately pays for these tests one way or the other. It's not free folks.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
I think we also need to look at the other side of the coin - folks that thrive on going to the doctor and having these tests done cause "it doesn't cost me anything". Let's not forget the personal responsibility side of each of us has to question the doctor and getting a second opinion when needed. We can stop a lot of the Medicare fraud ourselves by asking questions and understanding that each of us ultimately pays for these tests one way or the other. It's not free folks.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-01-2015, 02:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
"It doesn't cost me anything" really is the crux of the problem once the charlatan doctors are put out of business (which I doubt anybody is doing because of federal enforcement that seems to be weak or apathetic).

Knowing how people quibble about having to pay a $2 split dinner charge at a restaurant, or how they will not tip more than a dollar bill on a $60 meal (if even that amount), or they have fits about a $5 co-pay on a $200 prescription……...I think a lot of the over-use of "free" medical care would stop if people had to pay a small cash co-pay up front!
Old 02-01-2015, 04:18 PM
Sage

I am quite sure there are people that want lots of tests because they aren't paying for them but the crux of the article is that doctors order tests they may not need. It referred to the example of people who came to Florida for the winter and were told to get tests which they found were totally unnecessary when they spoke to their regular doctor. If you read the article, it speaks to the medicare providers get paid the more they do and there is a significant problem with regard to this.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:33 PM
Gold member

Quote:
I am quite sure there are people that want lots of tests because they aren't paying for them but the crux of the article is that doctors order tests they may not need. It referred to the example of people who came to Florida for the winter and were told to get tests which they found were totally unnecessary when they spoke to their regular doctor. If you read the article, it speaks to the medicare providers get paid the more they do and there is a significant problem with regard to this.
You're right, and the problem of what Medicare incentivizes was rightly stated by TV developer Gary Morse, back in 2010 (below). While others only complained, he put his money where his mouth was and funded/built a different type of primary-care system.
“Medicare is a lifesaving program but it has been set up in such a way that doctors are no longer able to care for us senior citizens in the same manner that we grew up with,” said Villages developer Gary Morse. “Medicare pays a doctor for every patient he sees, not how much time he spends with that patient. If the doctor sees 100 patients a day, he or she makes twice as much as seeing 50 patients.”

The result of that volume-driven system has changed the way most doctors operate….."
What it did not mention is that many primary-care doctors cannot pay the bills having mostly Medicare patients and few with private insurance, and because they do NOT do unnecessary procedures because they have a conscience, their practice goes belly up and they have to close.

Morse articulated the problem and DID something about it, but how many in Washington have been willing to listen and ACT on it--somehow?

http://www.thevillageshealth.com/art...20Hometown.pdf
Old 02-01-2015, 05:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
I understand the crux of the article is about doctors ordering unnecessary tests, but I still hold that we are personally responsible as well to ask questions and get second opinions. There are way too many people that like the attention and really believe this stuff is "free". Both the doctors need to check themselves and all of us that use the Medicare system.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:58 PM
Sage

Many people were brought up to listen to what the doctor says and do it. I am not one of them but there are many who just follow the doctor's instruction.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Many people were brought up to listen to what the doctor says and do it. I am not one of them but there are many who just follow the doctor's instruction.
I'm not either - I would like to hear from some folks that are of that mind set. I think it's a generational thing - I question everything and always have, but I also grew up in the 60s.

Gracie - weigh in on this. I would like to hear your thoughts on when you go to the doctor if you are comfortable questioning the doctor's orders. My guess is you are.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.