Obvious End To The Mask Controversy

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2020, 06:11 AM

To get a professional’s perspective go to YouTube and watch “em:rap“. A weekly broadcast review of current conditions, treatments and issues for/by medical professionals. It might change your opinion.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:39 AM

Since a virus can pass thru a mask much like a mosquito thru a chain link fence, wearing a mask is ludicrous except to make you feel better. Especially wearing one outside in the heat and humidity where even the "experts" say the virus can only survive for a minute and a half. Wearing a mask causes you to breathe in your own carbon dioxide and inhibits your own immune system. But, hey, it is a free world (at least it used to be), so wear a mask if you want. Just stop condemning other who refuse to fall for this nonsense.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
why should I have to wear a face shield because others won't wear a mask?
For the same reason that you wear a seat belt and take other precautions because of the actions or non actions of other people.

The key phrase here is "have to wear". You don't have to wear it. It's your choice but unless you want a law created mandating the wearing of masks, there are still going to be people that won't wear one. In fact even is a law were passed, there would still be people that break the law.

If you're that concerned about something, then you take whatever actions necessary to protect yourself.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:46 AM

From what I hear regarding the mask quarrel, some folks feel it is necessary in order to stop the virus. Hold the presses: we are not going to STOP the virus, any more than we stop the flu, colds, etc. All these "If just 75% of the people wore masks, we could defeat this virus in X weeks" are nonsense to me. We can slow the spread, we can mitigate the spread but we will not stop it. AND the young, the healthy are not likely to die from it, so if they contract it, they will be laid low for a while and then be immune. The elderly who are healthy are more vulnerable and require wearing masks themselves if they are diabetic, frail or very immune compromised. So bottom line. If you are young and healthy and walking around, you don't necessarily need a mask unless you are serving others and could infect others. If you are outdoors and not face to face with people, you don't need to be paranoid about a mask. If you are in a store, you should wear one if required. Outside, hot weather and slight wind reduce the danger from droplets dramatically.

As for the demand that everyone wear masks, it's created a kind of Mask Nazi crowd that goes crazy if they see people without masks. We should not surrender our personal freedom and liberty except in the most dire, and temporary circumstances. Or, simply put: I am not going to surrender my choice simply because you are terrified, unless you can convince me your terror is based on facts -- not "estimates" or "experts' (who often are wildly wrong) or "the need of the group" (the group always is composed of people who want to dictate what other do to make them feel virtuous). Let's lower the terror meter folks and be suspicious of all the wild claims we here.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:51 AM

Where do you get a face shield?
Old 05-31-2020, 07:03 AM

Actually that sounds selfish. How about “mask up or don’t show up” as my compromise. Your proposal shows no effort of your part To be courteous to your neighbors, and while very convenient to you, proposes the rest of us walk around like hockey goalies.

You wear sunglasses don’t you? A mask isn’t a big deal.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob85 View Post
Where do you get a face shield?
Amazon, Home Depot, just to name a few.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:12 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

I guess we should have been wearing mask for years.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:12 AM

If our leaders all made a point of wearing masks, then way more people would be wearing masks. Sending out mixed messages, wear a mask, but then don't wear them yourself, will keep us in this limbo about masks. Kids are taking bulletproof backpacks to school, are subjected to regular shooting drills and have to go through metal detectors EVERY DAY and you can't wear a simple mask for a few hours while in public?
Old 05-31-2020, 07:15 AM
Send a message via AIM to HelenLCSW
Default Same mortality rate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadbone1 View Post
Can’t believe we’re still talking about this. Wearing a mask cannot be mandated. It is not a law. A world renowned epidemiologist indicated that because of the size of the virus it can go right through any mask. Even an N 95 mask. It’s a microbe! The only value of a mask is psychological. You don’t wear a mask during flu season do you? Since we now know this virus has virtually the same mortality rate as the flu why are we still talking about this? I cannot believe the paranoia about this virus has lasted this long. The media obviously did a great job of scaring people to death to the point where they can’t even think for themselves anymore.
Don’t you know any healthcare providers? They will all tell you this virus is more dangerous than the yearly flu. Why do you think more people need to be hospitalized— more people are showing organ damage subsequent to having it than with regular flu (which doesn’t cause organ damage). Why do you think hospital nurses are scared and anxious —concerned about having been exposed to patients with it —afraid of bringing it home to loved ones.
We know this virus is far more dangerous than the yearly flu —ask anyone who has had both!
Old 05-31-2020, 07:19 AM
Send a message via AIM to USA2170

Well said....
Old 05-31-2020, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolSells View Post
So, after a gazillion posts pro and con to wearing a mask, I don’t believe that we have swayed anyone to our side, pro or con.

How about the compromise could be that people who are leery of mingling with non-maskers at rec centers , etc. could wear their masks AND face shields. They seem to be able to stop “stuff” going both in and out. Plus, the mask could be also worn to guard against anti-gravity droplets which might drift upwards under the face shield.

Your thoughts?
Did you see where the W.H.O. just threw a log on the fire by coming out with guidelines that only people who are sick or treating the sick would benefit from wearing a mask?
Old 05-31-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop49 View Post
If I find that I am going the wrong way in an aisle I just turn my car t around so I am going the right way.
I turn mine around and walk backwards.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:36 AM

So you refuse to wear a mask. If you get Covid and need hospital care do you plan to go there and expose the staff and the hospital and then their families to covid? If you don't want to be part of the community response then don't use the community facilities. My family member works on a Covid unit and has an immuno compromised child. Don't ask her to care for you because you won't wear a mask.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:45 AM

Thanks....‼️
Closed Thread

Tags
mask, face, pro, con, “stuff”

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.