Olive Oil & Coconut Oil / belly fat

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2015, 01:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
If you like the taste of your oil from Aldi's and it passes the test, stick with it. As for the taste, there are many different olive oil tastes, depending on soil conditions, type of oil and country of origin. I use a fruity Olive oil in salad dressings, a more pungent, grassy oil as a finishing oil, and a more bitter finish oil for dipping. But that's just my taste.

As for solidifying in the fridge, this is from an article on same, from the question and answer, as to why fridge test is not reliable.

Paul: No, you can’t. Some olive oils can have as little as 55% monounsaturated fat, and lots of linoleic acid (a polyunsaturated fat), similar to soybean oil: olive oils made from the Arbequina (a popular one for California oils), Chemlali, or Chétoui cultivars (the later two being the dominant ones in Tunisia) are especially prone to low monounsaturated fat levels. Unless they also have a lot of waxes, these oils probably wouldn’t freeze up. And a friend of mine in the olive oil business recently did an experiment where she put a very high-oleic-acid (83%) oil into the fridge, and it didn’t freeze up, for reasons not known: maybe the very low level of saturates, maybe a very low level

Olive oil is a natural product, made from >700 different varieties of olives, each with their own characteristics, grown under different conditions, picked at different levels of ripeness, and processed differently. There are just too many variables affecting waxes, fatty acid ratios, and the distribution of these into triglyceride structure to make the fridge test reliable as a positive or negative screen for authenticity (let alone quality).
It reminds me of grapes for making wine. There are lots of different grapes grown under different soil and climate conditions etc.

I might eventually go back to using Carlini's from Aldi's.

Today I found an interesting extra virgin, first cold pressed, USDA certified organic olive oil by Wild Oats. The price is only $5.98 for 17 ounces.
I might give it a try next time I need olive oil. That's in Walmart.

Walmart also carries The Olive Ranch brand.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

VPL, is it this one?
Wild Oats Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Directions for Me

It says lightly filtered, but looks to be a good product.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
VPL, is it this one?
Wild Oats Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Directions for Me

It says lightly filtered, but looks to be a good product.
Yes, that's it, except I wrote down "first cold pressed". Maybe they have both.

I wonder how it can be USDA certified organic when the olives are grown in a foreign country.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
If you like the taste of your oil from Aldi's and it passes the test, stick with it. As for the taste, there are many different olive oil tastes, depending on soil conditions, type of oil and country of origin. I use a fruity Olive oil in salad dressings, a more pungent, grassy oil as a finishing oil, and a more bitter finish oil for dipping. But that's just my taste.

As for solidifying in the fridge, this is from an article on same, from the question and answer, as to why fridge test is not reliable.

Paul: No, you can’t. Some olive oils can have as little as 55% monounsaturated fat, and lots of linoleic acid (a polyunsaturated fat), similar to soybean oil: olive oils made from the Arbequina (a popular one for California oils), Chemlali, or Chétoui cultivars (the later two being the dominant ones in Tunisia) are especially prone to low monounsaturated fat levels. Unless they also have a lot of waxes, these oils probably wouldn’t freeze up. And a friend of mine in the olive oil business recently did an experiment where she put a very high-oleic-acid (83%) oil into the fridge, and it didn’t freeze up, for reasons not known: maybe the very low level of saturates, maybe a very low level

Olive oil is a natural product, made from >700 different varieties of olives, each with their own characteristics, grown under different conditions, picked at different levels of ripeness, and processed differently. There are just too many variables affecting waxes, fatty acid ratios, and the distribution of these into triglyceride structure to make the fridge test reliable as a positive or negative screen for authenticity (let alone quality).
Cindy: This was suggested in my link on page 1 "How to Pick Real Olive Oil / Mark's Daily Apple". But yours is much more detailed, thanks. Still, I think I would prefer olive oil that solidifies. Mark says it's necessary but not sufficient. If it solidifies and then tastes like olive oil, I will feel more confident that it really is olive oil. Although it's possible that it may be mixed with something else.

BTW, I called Wild Oats and they said the olives are picked in Argentina and then shipped to the U.S. for processing into extra virgin olive oil. Once the oil is made, it then gets tested to be USDA certified organic. (So much for "fresh picked" olives.)
Old 02-12-2015, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Cindy: This was suggested in my link on page 1 "How to Pick Real Olive Oil / Mark's Daily Apple". But yours is much more detailed, thanks. Still, I think I would prefer olive oil that solidifies. Mark says it's necessary but not sufficient. If it solidifies and then tastes like olive oil, I will feel more confident that it really is olive oil. Although it's possible that it may be mixed with something else.

BTW, I called Wild Oats and they said the olives are picked in Argentina and then shipped to the U.S. for processing into extra virgin olive oil. Once the oil is made, it then gets tested to be USDA certified organic. (So much for "fresh picked" olives.)
That's interesting. So they must have some pretty thorough testing methods.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
If you're buying unfiltered olive oil at $3.99 for 16 ounces, and you believe it's for real, you should do some more reading on the olive oil fraud.

Here's a good article for you to read. They were mentioned as trustworthy olive oil producers in the article on the fraud, along with other companies, and you can get their oil at Publix. They don't filter any of their oils.
Filtered vs. Unfiltered Olive Oil: What’s the Difference? | California Olive Ranch EVOO – Consumer News, Info and Recipes

It is a decent price for the real thing, and you get what you paid for, plus excellent taste as well. We use it, and it holds up a long time, as long as you say it takes for you to finish yours. Really, VPL, give it a look-see. I was sold on only oil from Italy till I read the article about the fraud that mentioned this as one of the trustworthy companies.
The bottle of "California Olive Ranch" finally began to solidify after 8 days in the fridge. It's looking better every day.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:51 PM

I have recently been using coconut oil for cooking and skin moisturizing. I love it. And it's now being recognized by the medical community for it's health benefits. The cheapest organic, unrefined, virgin oil is from Aldi. Yay!
Old 03-03-2015, 05:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go-Bucks! View Post
I have recently been using coconut oil for cooking and skin moisturizing. I love it. And it's now being recognized by the medical community for it's health benefits. The cheapest organic, unrefined, virgin oil is from Aldi. Yay!
Health being the main concern, I don't think it's a good idea to do any frying. I have heard that heat makes oils more saturated. Also, frying adds more calories as the oil soaks into the food or the breading.

Yes, Aldi's olive oil is only $3.99 for 17 ounces.

Here's the problem with coconut oil: It's only sold in health food stores and the price is about $13 dollars for 10 ounces. And when you stop to consider it's essentially the same type of oil as olive oil, it hardly seems worth it. Olive oil is an excellent source of medium chain triglycerides just as coconut oil is.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Health being the main concern, I don't think it's a good idea to do any frying. I have heard that heat makes oils more saturated. Also, frying adds more calories as the oil soaks into the food or the breading.

Yes, Aldi's olive oil is only $3.99 for 17 ounces.

Here's the problem with coconut oil: It's only sold in health food stores and the price is about $13 dollars for 10 ounces. And when you stop to consider it's essentially the same type of oil as olive oil, it hardly seems worth it. Olive oil is an excellent source of medium chain triglycerides just as coconut oil is.
16 oz of coconut oil $6.99. it's has come down in the last 2 years
Old 03-03-2015, 10:28 PM

Organic unrefined coconut oil is also sold at Costcos for a good price...
Old 03-03-2015, 11:12 PM
Sage

A. Is any of this useful for obsessive compulsive disorder?
B. See A.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:42 PM
Sage

Just to clear something up, I don't look to oils to promote good health. For that I eat healthy foods, the kind you actually chew. The only reason I use olive oil is to flavor soups and salads and one little teaspoon does the trick.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyjam View Post
Unfortunately the Olive Oil industry is rife with fraud. [/url]
Fraud ? Oh No!...
.....you mean my cold pressed olive oil that was pressed by bare butts of Greek monks isn't the very best for which I paid a premium price for?
Old 03-04-2015, 06:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Butter is a natural product too. And so is lard.
"All Natural" is way overused today to denote healthy. Just because it is natural doesn't mean it is healthy.....cobra venom and poison ivy falls into this category.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Sage
Default Olive Oil & Coconut Oil / belly fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Fraud ? Oh No!...
.....you mean my cold pressed olive oil that was pressed by bare butts of Greek monks isn't the very best for which I paid a premium price for?
Absolutely...unless it was FIRST cold pressed.

Last edited by dbussone; 03-04-2015 at 09:19 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.