Opinions and advice about cataract surgery

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2020, 10:04 PM
Veteran member
Default Opinions and advice about cataract surgery

I have not yet had my appointment with Dr. Ireland and will of course be discussing various options with her, but I'd be interested to hear other first-hand experiences and recommendations. Which type of lens did you select and were you satisfied with your decision?

I only know one person who had the surgery and her outcome wasn't the best.

Costs seem to vary quite a bit. My optometrist told me to get only what Medicare pays for: "No extras!"
Old 06-13-2020, 10:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Used Dr. Scot Holman if you are interested in an alternative. I chose the Toric lenses, had the surgery 3 years ago. Uneventful surgery, better color vision, clearer vision, lots of drops on a daily basis for awhile but no big deal. Had the lenses defogged 8 months ago, took all of 15 seconds to do that. No pain. Following the surgery I was prohibited from hitting out sand traps so took free lifts. I wore the very dark glasses and the guys I played with offered to buy them if I would give them the same consideration

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 06-14-2020, 07:52 AM
Gold member

My wife had the surgery about 5 years ago at Mid Florida Eye Surgery Center. She wanted me to listen to her options, medicare only (scalpel surgery, no cost to her). Laser with $3,000 charge to her and Laser with the top of the line lenses, $6,000 charge to her. I just said, "How may chances do you get to have perfect vision again"? She had the $6,000 option and has perfect vision again just like when she was a teen, no reading glasses or squinting. Very satisfied with the results.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:04 AM
Veteran member

My wife and I also used Dr. Holman, Lake Eye for our Cataract surgery and he is wonderful. We both went with the Multifocal Lens. They are pricey, but well worth it.. I wore glasses for 40 years and now no longer need them for anything. I read a book a week and also spend time at the computer and never had any problems since the surgery. I had to take several drops for a few days after surgery 3 yrs ago, but my wife only had to take drops once a day after her surgery a year ago. Very fast and easy. We feel it was well worth the money.
Old 06-14-2020, 09:24 AM
Veteran member

Thanks for the informative replies. Did anyone have both eyes done at the same time?
Old 06-14-2020, 09:52 AM

I had mine done a year ago at Mid Florida Eye. I was told I was not a candidate for the multi-focal lens, so that eliminated that one. I also did not have significant astigmatism, so I did not need the topic lens; in fact the slight astigmatism I had was corrected by the laser. I chose the laser surgery with the distance correction lens. The laser is more accurate is the reason I chose it. I do need reading glasses for close up such as reading or the computer. I do not need glasses for driving, playing golf, working in the yard, etc. I was amazed at the difference in clarity, color, and sharpness of objects and scenery after the surgeries. I can see a golf ball at nearly 200 yards without any glasses. Wife will have hers this year and is choosing the same even though she is a candidate for multi-focal lens. I am totally satisfied with my results. I have to use eye drops daily though due to a dry eye condition.
Old 06-14-2020, 11:58 AM
Veteran member

I had my eyes done by Dr Ireland as mono vision, one close one far and I'm very happy. Note that I wore, many years ago, contacts that were also monovision and having the previous experience with monovision may be a requirement - but not sure. Advantages are: no special expensive lens required, no need to keep a pair of cheater glasses around all the time to read something. On the negative side; you sight either far or near might not be as good as if both eyes we adjusted either far or close ( I think this is also a disadvantage of multi-focus lens). At least for me, the advantages far outweighed the negatives. If you qualify you will have to try monovision contacts for a short period of time to ensure you are able to adjust to them.

And one last note: This is only my experience and opinion and I'm not in any way qualified to give eye advice to anyone.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Dr Wong has a number of very informative video's on YiuTube.

Symfony vs Panoptix. Which is the BEST Lens for Cataract and Laser Lens Replacement Surgery? - YouTube
Old 06-14-2020, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,503 Posts
Default Another story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
I have not yet had my appointment with Dr. Ireland and will of course be discussing various options with her, but I'd be interested to hear other first-hand experiences and recommendations. Which type of lens did you select and were you satisfied with your decision?

Costs seem to vary quite a bit. My optometrist told me to get only what Medicare pays for: "No extras!"
Sadly for me, unlike so many others, I had not very good experience. My wife is facing her turn for cataract surgery very soon and I insisted she find a different doctor and practice.
I had two issues that I was assured were no problem.
Issue 1: RK (radial karatotomy), a vision correction surgery pre-lasic. Could not remove cataract via the cornia, had to go through the sclera (white part of the eye.) RK scars made getting good measurements difficult. 2: I was on tamsulocin generic Flomax) known for contributing to floppy iris syndrome.
First eye went pretty well, but not perfect. Second eye? Not so well. Iris flopped. Once supposed under control it snapped shut and had to be forced open with a ring. Scheduled lens could not be used so, generic lens implanted. Twenty minute surgery became two hours.
Very sorry if I frightened you, but not every surgery goes well and any concerns you have should not be glossed over. This , if I am correct, the most common surgery being performed today. There are many reasons why the success rate is less than 100% satisfied. And, just because the surgeon has done "thousands" does not mean they can't get complacent or over confident.
Ask lots of questions and be sure you get the answers you need. The surgery is not painful, so that's one thing you don't need to be concerned about. Second opinion from different practice might be a good idea if you have any doubts.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,740 Posts

Can’t recommend a doctor as I had mine done up north. I have Toric lens, one eye corrected for far one for near. I had them done 1 year apart because I wanted to see how the first one healed. The most important thing to me in selecting a doctor was the number of similar operations they have done successfully. I reviewed several doctors diligently.

Surgery included no pain, it felt like a mild push on my eyes. Afterwards two weeks of prescription eye drops, no bending for a couple of weeks to put no pressure on the healing eye, and one year of sunglasses anytime outside. The doc gave me these terrible looking sunglasses but they felt so good to wear I ordered 2 more pairs. Second eye also went well. Last time I saw this well was in my teens, and I need my eyes for art. Completely happy with everything. (Now that I can see what my husband actually looks like, I still like him!)
Old 06-14-2020, 06:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post

Don't take advice re: cataract surgery from an optometrist. See an ophthalmologist that others have been happy with.

I had multifocal lenses put in about six years ago (at age 62). Surgeries were done a couple weeks apart. (I believe this is standard procedure, just in case there is a problem or an infection develops in one eye.) I am super happy with the outcome.

I was told that my out of pocket cost would be $1500 or so per eye. Turned out to be twice that amount. (The lenses themselves are more expensive and both the surgeon and surgical center charge extra.) I am grateful that I was a good candidate for the procedure and that I was able to pay my share.

Considering how much I was spending on blended bifocals every couple of years, I expect to come out ahead in the long run. (Based on family history I have a good chance of living into my late 80's or longer.) But even if that weren't true, it would be worth it to me. I LOVE NOT WEARING GLASSES!

Good luck.

kathy
Old 06-15-2020, 05:58 AM

The problem I developed is droopy eye lids that is caused by an injection in the eye for the surgery. This can be remedied by.....another surgery. This will sometimes correct itself in six to eight weeks after the cataract surgery. Look it up on the web. Seems to be fairly common problem.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:20 AM

I had both eyes done by Dr Ireland, 1 week apart. Just the standard surgery, went in wearing glasses and came out wearing glasses. Everything went very well with no problems. Have sent several friends there.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:35 AM

I just had the cataract surgery. Dr. Gutti with Lake Eye Associates did mine. They have an office over near Spars across from Brownwood. They aren't doing the surgeries there yet but will in the fall. I got the deluxe package with the laser. Been very pleased. Weird getting used to not wearing glasses. Nice being able to see without them. My brother had the operation and only got what Medicare paid for and he's pleased. So who knows. He has to use reading glasses. I don't. Think I paid 8k over what Medicare paid.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:41 AM

If you have problems due to RK surgery Dr. Gulani in Jacksonville specializes in RK and other difficult conditions.
Not cheap. Not painless.
Gave my wife her vision back.
Closed Thread

Tags
surgery, person, outcome, costs, opinions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.