Opinions and advice about cataract surgery

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2020, 06:45 AM

Just had mine done last month. Had mono-vision & can now see perfectly. I've had monovision for 40+ years, but Dr. Ireland told me she could not put those lenses in - only the $6000 lens because I had had lasix in the past. Didn't make sense to me (I'm a nurse) so I got second opinion for Dr. Jank of Ocala Eye who did husband's eyes. He said no problem with monovision for me despite lasix. Now seeing distance & close without glasses.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Dr. Ireland is fantastic. The surgery procedure and the surgical team like a well-oiled machine.

Your standard choices will be a manual procedure or laser. Laser has a much higher out-of-pocket. I chose the laser and have been very pleased with the results.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queasy27 View Post
I have not yet had my appointment with Dr. Ireland and will of course be discussing various options with her, but I'd be interested to hear other first-hand experiences and recommendations. Which type of lens did you select and were you satisfied with your decision?

I only know one person who had the surgery and her outcome wasn't the best.

Costs seem to vary quite a bit. My optometrist told me to get only what Medicare pays for: "No extras!"
I had my surgery in Columbus, Ohio by Dr. Erdey. I settled on the Crystalens which is an adaptive lens that changes focal length similar to the natural lens. The lenses cost and additional 2600 per eye but I considered that well worth it. I do not need reading glasses. I did have the "defogging" procedure that sometimes develops after the surgery done. Very quick and painless and permanent. The clarity and color changes from before/after were astounding. I've had no issues with the procedure and go back when I visit the kids each year for a followup.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:52 AM
Default Had Cataract surgery in 2013

Quote:
I have not yet had my appointment with Dr. Ireland and will of course be discussing various options with her, but I'd be interested to hear other first-hand experiences and recommendations. Which type of lens did you select and were you satisfied with your decision?

Costs seem to vary quite a bit. My optometrist told me to get only what Medicare pays for: "No extras!"
Good advise from your optometrist, I got what Medicare and my Humana paid, yes I still wear glasses, but if you choose otherwise you might have to pay thousands extra. My surgery was done in Virginia by Dr. Bundy he owns Virginia Eye Institute, he is a friend, he recommended Dr. Panzo here which I am seeing every year, but my vision is still great!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2020, 07:04 AM

My brother-in-law did and was fine. My doc would only do one at a time. Glad he did. Sleeping w a protective cup on both eyes at the same time would have been bothersome. I sleep on my sides. Also, you can’t read, see TV, play on your phone, nothing w the operated eye in the beginning. It was very good to have that one eye working! I got regular lenses in each eye and wear reading glasses. I couldn’t imagine seeing blurry in one eye if I had one reading lens and one distance lens. I did opt for the combination drops so didn’t have as much to deal with. Didn’t cost that much more.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:20 AM
Veteran member
Default Cataracts after RK surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Sadly for me, unlike so many others, I had not very good experience. My wife is facing her turn for cataract surgery very soon and I insisted she find a different doctor and practice.
I had two issues that I was assured were no problem.
Issue 1: RK (radial karatotomy), a vision correction surgery pre-lasic. Could not remove cataract via the cornia, had to go through the sclera (white part of the eye.) RK scars made getting good measurements difficult. 2: I was on tamsulocin generic Flomax) known for contributing to floppy iris syndrome.
First eye went pretty well, but not perfect. Second eye? Not so well. Iris flopped. Once supposed under control it snapped shut and had to be forced open with a ring. Scheduled lens could not be used so, generic lens implanted. Twenty minute surgery became two hours.
Very sorry if I frightened you, but not every surgery goes well and any concerns you have should not be glossed over. This , if I am correct, the most common surgery being performed today. There are many reasons why the success rate is less than 100% satisfied. And, just because the surgeon has done "thousands" does not mean they can't get complacent or over confident.
Ask lots of questions and be sure you get the answers you need. The surgery is not painful, so that's one thing you don't need to be concerned about. Second opinion from different practice might be a good idea if you have any doubts.

Oh I also had cataract surgery a few years ago, but 20 years ago I had the RK surgery which helped for several years. The surgeon that did the cataracts could not promise that they would work perfectly and he was correct. One implant went perfect, but the other took three tries, with three different lenses before he was satisfied. I have had trouble getting prescription glasses since. I see great with one eye, but the other needs a prism lens, otherwise I see double vision. I think normal eyes without RK or Lasik prior should do fine.
Old 06-15-2020, 07:36 AM

I had my surgery with Dr Kaufman Bushnell Florida. He was awesome and perfect vision! He has done thousands of the procedures! He will do 13-16 a day!
Old 06-15-2020, 07:50 AM

Quote:

My experience there wasn't so great. I wanted to improve my distance vision, but knew the trade-off would be that I'd need glasses for reading. After the procedures, I discovered that I see anything 6' away or further much better with 1.25 power reading glasses! And I still need glasses for reading as well.

I asked another doctor there if they may have put in the wrong lenses, and he said something about my eye changing shape. (???) In other words, not their fault. I doubt that, but I know of no recourse. Hard for me to recommend them.

Last edited by jandr; 06-15-2020 at 07:53 AM. Reason: forgot to include additional information.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:04 AM
Default cataract surgery = simple, easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
My wife had the surgery about 5 years ago at Mid Florida Eye Surgery Center. She wanted me to listen to her options, medicare only (scalpel surgery, no cost to her). Laser with $3,000 charge to her and Laser with the top of the line lenses, $6,000 charge to her. I just said, "How may chances do you get to have perfect vision again"? She had the $6,000 option and has perfect vision again just like when she was a teen, no reading glasses or squinting. Very satisfied with the results.
I had mine done 2015 before moving to TV, upgraded to correct vision. Best decision! The surgery itself was quick & painless. The results were AWESOME! Definitely recommend doing the upgrade.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:35 AM

My husband and I had Dr Ireland.
We had great results. I have the lenses that dont require glasses, he had the one that requires readers. Both happy with our decision!
Old 06-15-2020, 08:49 AM

I had cataract and YAG surgery by Dr Ireland. You won’t see her. You’ll only talk to other people. It’s fast, like an assembly line. I didn’t like having the cataract surgery but luckily it doesn’t take long.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:53 AM

Do not let them talk you into upgrading lens. I upgraded at cost of $4000. They said I would not need glasses, well about a year later I was wearing reading glasses and cannot read without them now. They were called crystal lenses. Listen to your optometrist
Old 06-15-2020, 09:01 AM
Default If I could do it again--

Had mine done at Ocala Eye and wish I had gone to someone else, anyone else! Gave me prescription for wrong eye drops, called numerous times and complained about the pain till finally got into another doctor who did an "oops!" gave me the right medicine, appologized which did nothing! Of course, you have to sign paper that you will not sue if something goes wrong! Have had other friends with many problems at Ocala Eye--would not recommend for all the money in the world--It is now three years later and I still have problem with that eye. Other one was done at Lake Eye and am extremely happy!
Old 06-15-2020, 09:10 AM
Default Dr Ireland

Quote:

Dr Ireland did my surgery last November. I opted for the astigmatism lenses, which were pricey. I couldn’t be happier. I no longer need glasses to drive and cheap Walmart readers are all I need for reading. Dr Ireland is the best!
Old 06-15-2020, 09:30 AM

I had my cataracts removed with Dr Ireland. Great experience all around. I wanted to see distance without glasses and that is what I got. I use reading glasses when needed. I have 20 20 distance vision.
Closed Thread

Tags
surgery, person, outcome, costs, opinions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.