Options for forward thinking, new age or holistic pain treatment - Not Pot please

Closed Thread
Old 07-25-2021, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
Is diabetic neuropathy a factor in your nerve pain or is it all related to your spinal compression issue?

I agree that there are sometimes alternatives to Doctors recommendations. I have several family members that were given very poor advice because the industry is focused drugs and surgery. There is a massive amount of medical research that they never bother to explore. Not all though but they are very hard to find.
No diabetic issues. All issue are related to spinal compression and a failed major spine surgery that did me in for good after blowing a disc to pieces.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:13 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Add walking to your attempt for recovery.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,144 Times in 830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Those are almost all summaries of studies. If you want to see the peer-reviewed double-blind studies IN FULL you have to be a paid subscriber.

ANYONE can upload a study to pubmed. You can upload a hypothesis that peanutbutter can cure acne if smeared on the entire body and left for 24 hours a day, once every three weeks, for three years.

It doesn't make it a valid study, but hey someone will click on it and maybe you'll get famous.
That posting is not correct.
Quote:
The PubMed database is a literature database that contains citation information (title, authors, journal, and publication date) and abstracts of articles published in biomedical and scientific journals. PubMed does not contain full-text articles, but in some cases, you can link to full text directly from PubMed.
You cannot send your own study to Pubmed, it MUST be published in a journal. Almost all the abstracted journals are peer reviewed quality. Additionally there is no such thing as a subscription to Pubmed. Every article includes a summary AKA abstract, but many are from journals that are not free. If you wish to read the original complete study you may have to buy it from the journal publisher, not from Pubmed.

You can read the criteria used to have a journal's contents included in the Pubmed database HERE

No you cannot submit your study on peanut butter and have it listed. Your attack on Pubmed is not based on reality and I would suggest you delete that post or edit it as such bad posts only spread misinformation and breed distrust in medical science just like the junk posts about Covid do when posted on this website.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Add walking to your attempt for recovery.
Can't walk much. The compression is worse when vertical. Have spent 8 years going through surgeries, therapies and treatments.

It's not something that can be worked through in this particular case. I will eventually end up in a wheelchair. Just trying to push that day off as far as possible.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

My 2 cents.
Homeopathy. You may as well drink water, which is basically all you get after all the dilutions.
I have sciatica, and find the stretching exercises are the best relief I get from it.
I do them daily, and they work for me.
I have had accupuncture, and it did give good pain relief.
Unfortunately, by the time I had driven home, I was back to square one!
Old 07-26-2021, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
PubMed

Great resource. If a remedy has been subjected to clinical trials, you can find out here. Not always conclusive but better than internet chatter.
thx for sharing that site. i'll be wasting time here all day, now-hehee
Old 07-26-2021, 08:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post

You cannot send your own study to Pubmed, it MUST be published in a journal. Almost all the abstracted journals are peer reviewed quality. Additionally there is no such thing as a subscription to Pubmed. Every article includes a summary AKA abstract, but many are from journals that are not free. If you wish to read the original complete study you may have to buy it from the journal publisher, not from Pubmed.

You can read the criteria used to have a journal's contents included in the Pubmed database HERE

No you cannot submit your study on peanut butter and have it listed. Your attack on Pubmed is not based on reality and I would suggest you delete that post or edit it as such bad posts only spread misinformation and breed distrust in medical science just like the junk posts about Covid do when posted on this website.
This needs to be seen once more. Thank you Doctor for your wisdom.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:16 PM

I was wondering if stem cells are available for something like this. Might be worth asking about.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,376 Times in 3,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post

You're right, I apologize. I got it confused with WebMD, which IS unreliable, a mixed bag of science, pseudoscience, and outright quackery, that you can pay a subscription for if you want to know more of the same. If I can still edit my post I will.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:50 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP2TV View Post
Can't walk much. The compression is worse when vertical. Have spent 8 years going through surgeries, therapies and treatments.

It's not something that can be worked through in this particular case. I will eventually end up in a wheelchair. Just trying to push that day off as far as possible.
Getting old isn't for sissies. Just a few short years ago I played tennis 3 times a week, now all I have left is being able to take walks. So sorry for your pain. It makes mine look minimum.
Old 07-27-2021, 03:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP2TV View Post
I'm looking for recommendations for forward thinking, new age or holistic pain treatment options in The Villages. (not interested in pot)

Spinal compression issues and widespread nerve pain to be specific.

Much appreciated.
Are you talking spinal stenosis? I get an injection of steroids twice a year and that has proven, for me, to be very effective. Harsha Rajashekar, DO at the Center for Advanced Healthcare at Brownwood is excellent. If you haven't already, I would suggest trying him. I know it's not New Age or Holistic, but he was the only treatment that helped me.

Tags
pain, options, forward, thinking, age

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.