Ostio and Rheumatoid arthritis

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2022, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

I have extensive osteoarthritis in my back. The back is different than knee, fingers, etc. so maybe none of this is helpful.

1) prednisone works great for me, but it's a steroid and I've used it very very sparingly (those times when the pain is just beyond me).
2) I have a "bed of nails" mat, much like a yoga mat with plastic nails. Surprisingly, it does work for me and I use it daily. Relief is usually temporary.
3) Nsaids, creams, supplement (Devil's Claw and turmeric) give some relief.
4) I've read about PEMF (Pulse Electro Magnetic Frequency) and while it may be snake oil, maybe it works. I'd like to try it since it's non-invasive, non-meds, etc but it's a bit pricey.
5) Yoga, meditation, etc. all helps a bit.

Best wishes and if you find any success, pass it along.
Old 06-24-2022, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Update on the Bigeloil:

I've applied the liniment a few times so far now since the bottle arrived from Amazon I think this past Monday (might've been Saturday).

I tried combining with my usual lineup of OTC ibuprophen/acetaminophen, and without, and with just one or the other.

I also sometimes just have bad days and good "hours" with my hip. Some days will be great, except a few hours which are horrible. The rest of the time it's pretty bad if I don't take my pain relievers.

So - it SEEMS as though the Bigeloil really does help. There's no measured dosage, it's a non-oily alcohol-based liquid. You tip the bottle to get a spoonful or two into the palm of your hand and rub it onto the affected area a few times a day (or as needed).

It SEEMS as though the pain relief will last a few hours. And it also SEEMS as though, when combined with my usual meds, that the pain relief is more significant than when I don't use it.

By "relief" I mean very specifically - that I am able to walk without limping and contorting myself to shift the grinding of bone against bone, and I can wash the dishes without needing to stop because of the pain, and I am able to bend to pick up the cat dish and put food in it.

It contains aspirin, so if you bruise easily or are on strong blood thinners, probably not a good idea. Check with your doctor on that, if so.

The #1 active ingredient is menthol.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by txyaya View Post
CBD oil and tart cherry along with Naproxen
My money is on the Naproxen...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-24-2022, 08:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
The sad reality, we are not 20 anymore. Amusing? Ponce DeLeon discovered Florida in search of the fountain of youth. The Villages in here. With all the digging are they really building homes or searching for the fountain of youth. Imagine home values if they find it.

The best pain killers are opioids. Every drug has side effects. Opioids have as well as being habit forming, the effect diminishes and the does needs to be increased making addiction worse. Aside the same is true of Steroids.

I think it was George Burns who said if I knew I was gonna live this long I woulda taken better care of myself.

Where is that fountain of youth? I need it.
Opioids only mask the pain. They don't fix the root cause...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-24-2022, 08:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalumbos62 View Post
I have osteo and sure enough as soon as I get in bed the pain starts to crank up.
OTC I use Biofreeze, none greasy, comes in a roller form. My physical therapist suggested it. I roll some on my barking ankles and shortly in LA LA land. Best of luck.
I recommend that to my patients, as well. It masks the pain, by causing a more pleasant sensation. Much like rubbing your elbow after whacking your funny bone...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-24-2022, 08:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrjones View Post
Gabapentin 800 mg 3 times a day helps me. Prescription needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marykess1802 View Post
I’m doing well on Gabapentin supplemented with Tylenol x-strength. Tried lots of other OTC and Rx meds. Sombra OTC works great. Voltaren on rough days. Careful…Voltaren has ibuprofen.
Gabapentin is typically used for nerve pain (neuropathy), not osteoarthritic pain...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-25-2022, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Gabapentin is typically used for nerve pain (neuropathy), not osteoarthritic pain...
The OP, and in fact the entire thread, is about BOTH osteo and rheumatoid arthritis. Gabapentin is sometimes used to treat the pain caused by joint inflammation in RA.
Old 06-25-2022, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Has anyone found a medican OTC or prescription that works for both of these? Wife is suffering. Also if you have a really good doctor for these conditions that would be appreciated if she decides to change doctors.
Thanks in advance, VT
I would recommend Dr Catherine Sullivan. I know her from NY and she is a very caring Dr. who takes her time with patients.
Old 06-25-2022, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Thanks to all for the information and discussion.

Moderator, you can close this thread, thank you.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The OP, and in fact the entire thread, is about BOTH osteo and rheumatoid arthritis. Gabapentin is sometimes used to treat the pain caused by joint inflammation in RA.
Thanks, but I'll stick to MY medical training...

Oh, btw, the Google machine says this: "Gabapentin is a drug treatment rarely tried in the rheumatoid arthritis community. It has been reported as tried by 4% of the members with mixed effectiveness ..."

Stuff That Works

-Tom Petty
Old 06-26-2022, 07:07 AM

Dr. Catherine Sullivan
Restored my life
Old 06-26-2022, 05:53 PM
Default Ostio and Rheumatoid arthritis

I have injected Enbrel for about five years, now and am very happy with how it has diminished the pain and stiffness in my hands due to Rheumatoid. I also take Celebrex daily. I go to Dr. Sullivan in The Villages Specialty Health. I wish your wife the best.
Old 06-27-2022, 01:29 AM
Default Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid arthritis

Quote:
Has anyone found a medican OTC or prescription that works for both of these? Wife is suffering. Also if you have a really good doctor for these conditions that would be appreciated if she decides to change doctors.
Thanks in advance, VT
Antibiotics for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis - PMC - NCBIhttps://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov › articles › PMC3883615
by M Ogrendik · 2014 · Cited by 46 — Later, tetracyclines were successfully used for the treatment of RA. In double-blind and randomized studies, levofloxacin and macrolide ...
‎Abstract · ‎Introduction · ‎Tetracyclines · ‎Macrolide antibiotics

MINOCYCLINE CURES RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIShttps://www.drmirkin.com › joints
An exciting study from the University of Nebraska shows that the antibiotic, minocycline, helps to prevent joint damage in people with rheumatoid arthritis.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:51 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 449 Posts

Quote:
Thanks in advance, VT
Morning, my daughter has EDS and MS she uses the TENS therapy. It works great on her pain. The TENS she can use on the part of the body that is have a flair up. You can order one from your dr or Amazon. They cost between $50-$100. I would definitely try this for her.
The other thing we do is belong to support groups on social media, have found them very helpful.
Healing vibes sent to your wife.

Tags
ostio, good, doctor, conditions, appreciated

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.