Our Regional Hospital

Closed Thread
Old 05-23-2019, 05:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,996 Times in 1,729 Posts

When it comes to evaluating the quality of care a doctor actually delivers, I find it difficult. I wonder how other patients do it. I’ve had one surgery and only one surgeon. I survived ok could be better but I have no idea how I would have done with another surgeon etc. I have no basis of comparison. It’s not like I’m going to have the exact same surgery done again. According to official reports I’ve ever heard all surgeries “have gone well”... even when the patients die afterwards.
ER times are easier to measure.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:55 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
ER's are triage areas and the patients are prioritized.....but, doesn't matter much, the threads here are usually about bashing the health care system. It's getting old.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:33 PM
Veteran member

Just a note that all the local urgent care centers I've visited have X-ray equipment and labs and can treat broken bones and lacerations.

Anecdotally, I also received great care at both Leesburg and The Villages hospitals, including ER wait times of under 10 minutes when I was experiencing cardiac arrhythmia.

Last edited by queasy27; 05-25-2019 at 12:19 AM.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:45 PM
Gold member

I've not found an urgent care open 24/7.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
I've not found an urgent care open 24/7.
THAT is true..but many times folks know they're in trouble before 8 pm rolls around! I think they wait, like many of us do, hoping they'll be better. BUT that said..."IF" something occurs after hours then yes, go to the ER BUT depending on what's going on be prepared to wait as you will be triaged due to the severity of the situation.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:26 PM
Gold member

I was having Cataract and LASIK prep at St Luke’s and my heart was beating so fast and my blood pressure so high the attending physician thought I was going to have a stroke any minute. Without asking (Thank God and him) he called EMS who arrived in under 5 minutes and sprung into action. I was transported to the Villages Hospital, treated immediately and my blood pressure gotten under control. I believe my life was saved by a cadre of medical professionals in The Villages. I also have The Villages health care plan and it is the best plan I ever had.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Lightbulb Experience

Our experience was: 1. Because of complaints of some pain flew to MD Anderson in Houston, Texas. Told it was problem that would go away and don't let anyone operate, 2. Not satisfied as the pain remained and went to Mofitt in Tampa and told the same thing, 3. Still not satisfied and Dr. in The Villages said it was a certain form of Cancer and wanted to operate, 4. As last resort went to Mayo in Jacksonville. Told it was not the cancer the Dr in The Village's said , it was an entirely different Stage 3 Cancer and to operate soon. Stayed with Mayo. After 6 hour surgery, 6 weeks of Radiology cancer was not found any further. Enough said. Went to local Village Hospital many years ago, waited terrible long time to be seen in ER and the Dr's robe was dirty. Not with expected medical stuff. I am really happy that some residents are happy and satisfied with the Village Hospital. I look at it as a "Crap shoot" and would rather find the best. Heck. our bodies are worth it. As we use to be told "you are a long time dead". Through this experience I developed an opinion of these well known Hospitals.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
There seems to be some who would rather bash the hospital and health-care here. Many come from large cities with teaching hospitals etc. Perhaps they were A+ I don't know but I think you could have varying stories anywhere you live and not just here. I've written before that I've had several visits to the ER plus admittances to the hospital as well as 2 surgeries there. We have TVHC and couldn't be happier. The hospital's care was great! BOTH my spouse and I have had experiences with that. My take is...if you don't like it then don't use it but to continually bash something is counter-productive. I've been reading quite a number of positive posts on the local social media sites---so something good is happening, I would say.

People will use the ER as their point of reference. It's many times, the first entry into the hospital and that's the impression folks will take away with. Many use it instead of going to an Urgent Care or setting up with a primary here. The ER isn't a clinic!! As for the ratings....there are several points that play into those and doesn't have to do with the one on one patient care.
Well said.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,426 Times in 3,080 Posts

From what I'm reading on this and other related threads (and even on other websites and fora), the low rating pertains primarily to emergency care combined with transitioning from ER to inpatient. I'm not seeing much in the way of complaints or significant issues with regards to scheduled surgeries or other scheduled medical treatments at the hospital. There's a huge disparity, however, between those who just show up seeking immediate service without prior appointments, regardless of the medical malady that brought them in, and those who are expected by specific medical professionals for specific reasons.

That reason alone should be enough to inspire people to visit Urgent Care for anything they feel Urgent Care can handle. Up north, some Urgent Care centers have MRIs and even a dental care room with dental Xray/panoramic machines set up for emergency root canal treatment and temporary denture replacement. I haven't yet needed Urgent Care down here, but I wouldn't hesitate to call the nearest ones if the sweat gland in the sole of my foot clogs up again and just needs a steady hand to dig it open (it's traumatic and painful, you receive no lidocaine at all, but you walk out of there without a limp anymore), or if I'm coughing a lot and feel achy want to rule out pneumonia, or if I twisted my ankle and need to make sure there's no break and just get it bandaged up.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:08 AM
Default Tvrh

I have always been on the side of care at the Villages Hospital was sub standard. Then I was admitted to the hospital a few weeks ago. I have to say the whole experience was as delightful as a hospital stay could be. I did come in through the ED and had to have an endoscopy procedure. Both were done well. The stay upstairs was fine also. Just a fluke? I am not sure.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:20 PM
Veteran member

My wife has had a number of stays at Villages Hospital and they all been been very good experiences. She has also been in a number of ER's over time. The Villages Hospital ER doesn't any better/worse than any other she has been in.
Closed Thread

Tags
hospital, regional, mail, henderson, vrh

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.