Over Dentures or Snap on Dentures

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-23-2020, 09:30 PM
Original Topic
fsusix fsusix is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 15
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Lightbulb Over Dentures or Snap on Dentures

Has anyone had experience with getting these - if so where - and around what price? So far - the estimate is like buying a car! WOW. Seems the idea of it is a good choice especially if you get the permanent ones - however at $18,000 - I hope to find a price that is affordable. Help.
  #2  
Old 01-23-2020, 10:40 PM
OrangeBlossomBaby OrangeBlossomBaby is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,932
Thanks: 527
Thanked 362 Times in 155 Posts
Default

i wouldn't get a full set of permanent dentures. If one of the teeth falls out of the line-up or gets broken how will it get replaced? This does happen on occasion. The snap-on dentures snap on to implants that are connected in pairs with gold bars. The dentures are removed nightly, and the implants and bars remain "bolted" to your upper and/or lower jaws (depending on if you have a full set or just uppers or lowers). The bars need to be replaced once in awhile and the implants checked once or twice a year, but that's just routine maintenance and costs around the same as if you had all your teeth and went for a checkup and cleaning.
  #3  
Old 01-24-2020, 05:22 AM
Uberschaf Uberschaf is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 383
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default

I started this procedure three weeks ago. I went with Affordable Dentures of leesburg after extensive research. I opted for the snap in lower denture as this is the most problematic as it slips when talking or chewing. Dr. Agnini installed four implants in my jaw. I opted for the premium dentures(top of the line) with seven year warranty. I also had some teeth pulled and bone graphs. The total was $9,400. I came home with a top temp plate and get temp bottoms after four weeks. I was able to eat soup the day after and drink whey protein. There are no gold bars involved. It's a long process It takes up to six months for the bone to adhere to the implants. I am pleased with the procedure so far,the first day was hard but that was it. bonus: you lose weight and there is ice cream involved.
  #4  
Old 01-24-2020, 07:01 AM
Chatbrat Chatbrat is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,012
Thanks: 0
Thanked 306 Times in 162 Posts
Default

All implants take time, some bone may need to be grafted, @ $9800. for 4 implants u got a deal, my guy charged me way more for 2 regular implants & crowns
  #5  
Old 01-24-2020, 08:12 AM
NotGolfer NotGolfer is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: The Villages
Posts: 3,195
Thanks: 303
Thanked 97 Times in 50 Posts
Default

Only thing with implants to be aware of is...do NOT go with anyone that advertises "same day" anything. Getting implants takes time for proper healing. Can take up to 6 months total for the whole procedure---start to finish. How do I know this? I have a whole bunch in my mouth...they all weren't done at the same time but over years. Got my 1st ones in the mid-90's.
  #6  
Old 01-24-2020, 08:55 AM
collie1228 collie1228 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,116
Thanks: 0
Thanked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Default

I have eight implants and snap on dentures (top and bottom) installed by Dr. Sagili at Lake Advanced Dentistry two years ago. The process was great - there is never any denture slippage and I can eat virtually anything, including corn on the cob and apples. I had to have a couple bone grafts, but other than that, my case was relatively routine. The overall cost was slightly over $20K, which in my case, was well worth it. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
  #7  
Old 01-25-2020, 05:24 PM
E Cascade E Cascade is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Default

I have heard that implants in this country cost $3-5000 per tooth. Go to Israel like all the Europeans. It only costs $850 from start to finish with a ceramic tooth done by a Maxillo- facial surgeon. Plus it is not a big deal and is quick with better x-rays than any I've had done at any dentist (other than a biologic- dentist) here in this country. Pay your travel agent, not your dentist and have a great time and vacation.
  #8  
Old 01-25-2020, 06:35 PM
KLBNJ KLBNJ is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 18
Thanks: 30
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Dental implants are wonderful. Your bone needs time to heal properly so it’s a 6-12 month process when done correctly. Payments can be made over the months during treatment. Dr. Davis & Dr. Lavada & Staff at Villages Periodontics at 12161 CR 103 Suite 101, Oxford, FL 34484 Ph: 352-259-6799 is who I recommend for you sir. I was in dentistry for several years and now a patient. Good luck and you are in good hands locally and that’s what you want is a dentist locally because it should take several months to be properly done.
  #9  
Old 01-25-2020, 10:29 PM
OrangeBlossomBaby OrangeBlossomBaby is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,932
Thanks: 527
Thanked 362 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Cascade View Post
I have heard that implants in this country cost $3-5000 per tooth. Go to Israel like all the Europeans. It only costs $850 from start to finish with a ceramic tooth done by a Maxillo- facial surgeon. Plus it is not a big deal and is quick with better x-rays than any I've had done at any dentist (other than a biologic- dentist) here in this country. Pay your travel agent, not your dentist and have a great time and vacation.
1. If you're getting implant dentures, that's oral surgery. You're not going to be having a "great time." You'll be in pain for at least a couple of weeks, unable to bite anything very hard for a couple of months, and need to get the temporary dentures adjusted while your mouth heals, and get the finished dentures adjusted once or twice. So figure on staying in Israel for around 6 months - the first of which will be uncomfortable and inconvenienced.
2. If any of this process fails after you get back to the states, good luck finding a dentist who will fix someone else's work. You'll probably need to go BACK to Israel to get it repaired.
  #10  
Old 01-26-2020, 05:37 PM
mollypeanut's Avatar
mollypeanut mollypeanut is offline
Member
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sanibel
Posts: 58
Thanks: 8
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLBNJ View Post
Dental implants are wonderful. Your bone needs time to heal properly so it’s a 6-12 month process when done correctly. Payments can be made over the months during treatment. Dr. Davis & Dr. Lavada & Staff at Villages Periodontics at 12161 CR 103 Suite 101, Oxford, FL 34484 Ph: 352-259-6799 is who I recommend for you sir. I was in dentistry for several years and now a patient. Good luck and you are in good hands locally and that’s what you want is a dentist locally because it should take several months to be properly done.
I absolutely agree.. I have permanent dentures upper and lower over the implants.. they call it a hybrid denture.. it has been in and complete for several years.. The process is long and expensive but worth it..
when the implant is put in they must wait at least 3 months to make sure it has taken into the bone.. then they can start the next steps.. Dr Davis at Village Periodontics in Oxford FL is amazing!!
__________________
  #11  
Old 01-26-2020, 09:59 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,104
Thanks: 54
Thanked 200 Times in 115 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
1. If you're getting implant dentures, that's oral surgery. You're not going to be having a "great time." You'll be in pain for at least a couple of weeks, unable to bite anything very hard for a couple of months, and need to get the temporary dentures adjusted while your mouth heals, and get the finished dentures adjusted once or twice. So figure on staying in Israel for around 6 months - the first of which will be uncomfortable and inconvenienced.
2. If any of this process fails after you get back to the states, good luck finding a dentist who will fix someone else's work. You'll probably need to go BACK to Israel to get it repaired.
I too wondered how you can just zip over to Israel and have an implant, since the process can take up to a year.

However, I have had two implants and am in the process of having two more, with all the lead-ups--tooth extraction, bone graft, sinus lift surgery, temporary. I have never had any pain, nor any of the other problems you describe.


But I wouldn't go to Israel for an implant. Too expensive and can't be done in one shot.
__________________
Happiness is when your life on the outside matches your life on the inside.
  #12  
Old 01-26-2020, 10:17 PM
OrangeBlossomBaby OrangeBlossomBaby is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,932
Thanks: 527
Thanked 362 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I too wondered how you can just zip over to Israel and have an implant, since the process can take up to a year.

However, I have had two implants and am in the process of having two more, with all the lead-ups--tooth extraction, bone graft, sinus lift surgery, temporary. I have never had any pain, nor any of the other problems you describe.


But I wouldn't go to Israel for an implant. Too expensive and can't be done in one shot.
He was asking about implant dentures, not just implants. In order to get implant dentures, ALL his teeth need to be extracted. Every single one of them. That will make him SORE - for at least a few weeks. They fit the temporary dentures over the sutured gums, and he has to take them out, rinse with salt water, and put them right back in and leave them in EXCEPT when he's rinsing - all day, all night, for several days in a row. If he doesn't, then the healing process will change the configuration of the inside of his mouth, and the permanent dentures won't fit when they come in.

It is a HUGE undertaking, it is not the same thing as just getting an implant or two.

The weeks of pain are also because he has to eat with them in his mouth - biting down on what amounts to basically raw, wounded gums covered in acrylic. He will be eating soft foods for a couple of months, nothing crunchy at all and nothing even chewy for the first week or two. Pureed foods, liquids, jello, protein shakes but no dairy because of the antibiotics - it is not a fun time in Israel if you think medical tourism is a good way to get cheap implant dentures. It's not a fun time ANYWHERE getting them. Once you're healed, they're amazing. But the process is grueling.

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 01-26-2020 at 10:29 PM.
  #13  
Old 01-26-2020, 10:29 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,104
Thanks: 54
Thanked 200 Times in 115 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
He was asking about implant dentures, not just implants. In order to get implant dentures, ALL his teeth need to be extracted. Every single one of them. That will make him SORE - for at least a few weeks. They fit the temporary dentures over the sutured gums, and he has to take them out, rinse with salt water, and put them right back in and leave them in EXCEPT when he's rinsing - all day, all night, for several days in a row. If he doesn't, then the healing process will change the configuration of the inside of his mouth, and the permanent dentures won't fit when they come in.

It is a HUGE undertaking, it is not the same thing as just getting an implant or two.
Over dentures and snap-on dentures are not necessarily full dentures. My dento-facial surgeon has a brochure on the many different options. You could have one implant screw holding three teeth, two holding six, etc. OP didn't say how many teeth.


The temps don't have to be left in 24/7. I took mine out at night. In fact, I was told 5 hours a day was sufficient to keep the remaining teeth from shifting. After the implant screws are in, the temps don't even have to be worn if you don't want. I do agree if all teeth are removed, you would want to wear the temps as much as possible, but I don't see why it's necessary.


Have you had this done? Maybe someone who has can give an answer.


Implants are a great invention and well worth the cost, IMO.
__________________
Happiness is when your life on the outside matches your life on the inside.
  #14  
Old 01-26-2020, 10:44 PM
OrangeBlossomBaby OrangeBlossomBaby is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,932
Thanks: 527
Thanked 362 Times in 155 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Over dentures and snap-on dentures are not necessarily full dentures. My dento-facial surgeon has a brochure on the many different options. You could have one implant screw holding three teeth, two holding six, etc. OP didn't say how many teeth.


The temps don't have to be left in 24/7. I took mine out at night. In fact, I was told 5 hours a day was sufficient to keep the remaining teeth from shifting. After the implant screws are in, the temps don't even have to be worn if you don't want. I do agree if all teeth are removed, you would want to wear the temps as much as possible, but I don't see why it's necessary.


Have you had this done? Maybe someone who has can give an answer.


Implants are a great invention and well worth the cost, IMO.
if you have all the teeth removed, you -must- keep the temps in as much as possible. Your jaw can shift - same reason why some people who get braces have to wear retainers long-term. If they don't, the teeth will try to revert back to their previous position. The reason for that is the shape of their jaw. Without teeth, there is nothing preventing the bone under the gumline from shifting. It can take a few months for the gums AND bone to heal before they're ready for implants. Implants are not typically put in the same time that the teeth are extracted. You do the extraction and bone grafting if necessary. You wait for all THAT to heal. Then you do the implants. You wait for THAT to heal. Then you make the permanent denture.

This process can take 6 months or longer, during which time the bone under the gumline no longer has the teeth to force it into any particular shape or position.

The bone will inevitably shift, possibly just a tiny minute amount. And that tiny minute amount is enough to make the finished denture totally unuseable.

That is why you have to wear the temporary dentures 24/7 except when rinsing, for the first few weeks - and after that, as much of the day as possible.

A member of my immediate family had it done. I lived with the situation for over a year.
  #15  
Old 01-26-2020, 10:49 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,104
Thanks: 54
Thanked 200 Times in 115 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
if you have all the teeth removed, you -must- keep the temps in as much as possible. Your jaw can shift - same reason why some people who get braces have to wear retainers long-term. If they don't, the teeth will try to revert back to their previous position. The reason for that is the shape of their jaw. Without teeth, there is nothing preventing the bone under the gumline from shifting. It can take a few months for the gums AND bone to heal before they're ready for implants. Implants are not typically put in the same time that the teeth are extracted. You do the extraction and bone grafting if necessary. You wait for all THAT to heal. Then you do the implants. You wait for THAT to heal. Then you make the permanent denture.

This process can take 6 months or longer, during which time the bone under the gumline no longer has the teeth to force it into any particular shape or position.

The bone will inevitably shift, possibly just a tiny minute amount. And that tiny minute amount is enough to make the finished denture totally unuseable.

That is why you have to wear the temporary dentures 24/7 except when rinsing, for the first few weeks - and after that, as much of the day as possible.

A member of my immediate family had it done. I lived with the situation for over a year.
I give.


But in any event, I don't see how you would save any money going to Israel since it's not a one-and-done.
__________________
Happiness is when your life on the outside matches your life on the inside.
Reply

Tags
dentures, price, good, choice, permanent

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:22 PM.