Pacemaker

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2020, 12:40 PM
Default Pacemaker

Last weekend I went into cardiac arrest with 3rd degree heart block ended up at West Marion Hospital with a heart rate of 22. Had emergency surgery for placement of a pacemaker.
Just wondering what to expect as far as life with the pacemaker and will life ever be normal again? Almost afraid to go to sleep wondering whether l’ll wake up or not.
Can someone with a pacemaker share their experience.
Thanks Bob
Old 09-05-2020, 04:45 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhsmith View Post
Last weekend I went into cardiac arrest with 3rd degree heart block ended up at West Marion Hospital with a heart rate of 22. Had emergency surgery for placement of a pacemaker.
Just wondering what to expect as far as life with the pacemaker and will life ever be normal again? Almost afraid to go to sleep wondering whether l’ll wake up or not.
Thanks Bob
I have had a defibrillator/pacemaker for around 4 years now. Haven't given it much thought as the only way I know it's there is the lump under the skin on my chest. I have heart failure but I don't know how similar our medical conditions are so my experiences may not be relevant to you. My father had a pacemaker also but he never voiced any problems with it to me. I knew another guy with one and he never said he experienced any difficulties with it.

As far as not waking up, I wouldn't give it much thought. Apparently the doctors believe this will prevent the problem. I would suggest a conversation with your cardiologist and let him know of your fears. You should a have a lot of years ahead.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks Bob
I’ve had my pacemaker/defibrillator for 14 years. Defibrillator has never gone off, pacemaker paces my heart especially at night. With the heart medication, my pacemaker will prevent my heart beat from going under 60 bpm. I forget it’s their. Life is the same if not better because you know the pacemaker keeps everything normal. You will be surprised to see how many people that have pacemakers that are very active and lead a normal life. There’s no reason to be afraid. Enjoy life.
Old 09-05-2020, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Thanks Bob
Two years ago just before Christmas I was at Laurel Manor painting a picture when suddenly I couldn't navigate. EMS was called and my heart rate was in the thirties. They took me to our Villages Hospital and an emergency Pace Maker was put in and I got a little gadget that shows if it is ticking properly. I was SO scared and SO worried at first and kept taking the pulse in my neck. Now I don't even think about it anymore. Once in a great while I notice it " kicking" a little but I am back to doing all normal things and have made friends with many, healthy and grateful to have a pacemaker. Sending hugs and prayers to you and understanding your fears. I am as near as the phone anytime you want to chat. Kind regards from me and my two teammates; daughter who was born with a major heart defect and husband who was born with only one coronary artery. We are a group, but a lively one.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

You need to have a serious conversation with your cardiologist. Only your physician can put your mind at ease instead of having sleepless nights. There are very few physicians who answer questions on this site.

While having a new implanted device takes getting used to, there are too many implanted models for you to find anyone here to compare.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:18 AM
Veteran member
Default Don't worry feel safer with pacemaker

I had my pacemaker put in about 2 yrs ago (passed out playing poker 2x) and I certainly don't worry about it. I'm convienced the pacemaker is really an advantge since now "hopefully" if my heart decides to slow down the pacemaker kicks in and keeps me level at 60BPM. Without the Pacemaker I could have passed out driving and injured / killed myself or others and now with it I feel confident that passing out due to slow heart rate won't happen and its one less thing for me to worry about. Actually I never worried about it before untill I passed out twice. BUT as we all know there are a lot of unknowns out there waiting for their turn at us, and as we get more mature new ones keep trying to get our attention! So if theres 1 Million things that can kill us the passmaker will reduce that number to 999,999 (unless the battery runs out but I purchased a 15 year warrenty).
Old 09-07-2020, 12:06 PM

Thanks all for the positive comments l feel better already knowing y’all are getting along just fine with your pacemakers.Thanks again Bob
Old 09-07-2020, 02:28 PM

I have a pacemaker for several years. I can do anything I did before it was put in. Plus I felt better after it was installed. No problems sleeping, or awake. Remember to enjoy life, you will be just fine after you have it in a few weeks.
Old 09-07-2020, 03:51 PM

I could not imagine how you are feel, I'm pulling for you, be strong my friend!
Old 09-07-2020, 04:08 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Nine weeks ago I was walking the halls of the ICU wing after my open heart operation to show the nurse it was about time for me to be released. Suddenly, the alarm on my attached medical device sounded and the nurse asked me how I was feeling. I felt OK but she suggested that I return to my bed. Two hours later I was in surgery again to have a pacemaker installed.

Yet today, I played my first games (4) of pickleball. As my pacemaker sends data to my doctors, they will notify me of health issues that I miss. Great to be back playing a sport that I enjoy.
Old 09-07-2020, 05:34 PM
Default Pacemaker

Wow two plane you’ve been through the ringer the last nine weeks.l feel lucky next to you.l hope this won’t clip your wings.Good luck.
Bob
Closed Thread

Tags
pacemaker, heart, life, wondering, degree

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.