Painful dental hygienist

Closed Thread
Old 02-18-2014, 09:21 PM

I have very sensitive gums and teeth. After being tortured by a few hygienists here in The Villages, I now request my current one to apply topical gel before my cleanings. There is no pain and the gel wears off soon after the appointment. I'm sure any hygienist would do this.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:55 PM

I am a dental hygienist still working in Atlanta in a periodontal office where maintenance cleanings are the backbone of our practice. Today we have topical anesthetics and medicaments to relieve sensitivity on exposed roots or tender areas. Prescription fluoride helps too. A dental cleaning need not be painful and good hygienists know how to avert discomfort while still doing a thorough cleaning. If I went to a hygienist who worked the way all of you described yours, I'd run for the high hills!
Old 02-20-2014, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1234 View Post
I go to Serenity Dental and really like Dr. Luong, but haven't had ANY luck with several of her hygienists? We only live here 6mos and always go back north for Christmas too, so I've just been scheduling my cleanings up there......wish I didn't have to:-(
Love Serenity and Dr. Luong also. I think her dental hygientist, Toni, does a super job -- never had any issues with pain when she does my cleanings.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:17 PM

I'm a snowbird still getting my cleanings up north, however, my hygienist is a dear friend, and she tells me when she gets a patient with a "difficult" mouth, she will schedule several cleanings (only charging for one), and do it a little at a time over several days to avoid the discomfort. I wonder if asking for a little at a time would help?
Old 02-21-2014, 09:45 PM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove
Default Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Okay. I've had routine timely dental cleanings all my life. Never a problem. But I'm going to a new dentist with a good reputation on this forum, and I must say the cleaning was quite painful. The hygienist was very nice....but boy, she hurts. I've never been accused of being sensitive before, but this was a stressful experience. No, my teeth and gums are in good shape, so that is not the reason. I don't want to tarnish whatever reputation she may have with her employer, but I'd rather go without a cleaning than see her again.

Have I just been really lucky in the past with exceptionally gentle hygienists, or is this the real world I'm now being introduced to? What is your experience?
Ask the hygenist NOT to use the Cavitron (water thingy). Instead, ask to have them use the instruments and scale your teeth. They need to do this anyway to keep in practice. I only had the Cavitron used on me once and I told them never again or I would change dentists. Been doing it the old fashion way now for more than 10 yrs with NO problems. When I moved here in 2012, the hygenist here agreed to do it my way. Shop around...it shouldn't hurt.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzper View Post
Love Serenity and Dr. Luong also. I think her dental hygientist, Toni, does a super job -- never had any issues with pain when she does my cleanings.
Thanks for this post.
I am going to Dr Luong b/c she was highly recommended in this forum.
My 1 st cleaning is next month.
Will ask for Toni.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbmb24101 View Post
Thanks for this post.
Will ask for Toni.
I was just at Serenity two weeks ago for a cleaning. My appt. was supposed to be with Toni but was informed she no longer works there. I had Brittany for my cleaning and she was excellent.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Eternal Member

Wow, I thought it was me. I had to tell the higienest "just take the plaque and leave the meat " . She was rough and never had it so rough.
Thank you all for the conformation of my discomfort.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:42 PM

Never experienced discomfort during dental cleaning and checkup....
Old 02-23-2014, 01:58 AM

We use Marion Dental Group and have had zero complaints/issues. Dr. Edwards is our "regular" dentist and is so warm and fuzzy you would think he was family, Dr. Wallace is my prosthetist and the cleanings are done expertly and without needing a ledge from which to jump or push!
They are on 441 just west of Bujones Aires on the south side of the road.
Great place.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:37 AM
Gold member

Could all these posts, have something to do with "Scaling" (I think that's the word) type machine? Instead of using cleaning tools, they use this type machine? Maybe someone can help me out, with what I am talking about. LOL
Old 02-25-2014, 06:57 AM
Veteran member

My recent rough cleaning had to do partially with a machine called a Cavitron, which is a high pressure water cleaning. Although it is only water, it sounds and feels like a drill and was uncomfortable. The scaling was also done with a traditional pick scraper thing, which was also uncomfortable. Finally, she sort of slammed the dental floss between the teeth down onto the gums causing me to wince and actually jump a couple of times, despite my best efforts to pretend all was fine.

Keep in mind my teeth are fine, never had gum problems. It is enlightening to read here that I am not alone. Apparently this is not an uncommon problem.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:04 AM
Veteran member

Went to serenity dental spa yesterday for a cleaning with Toni. And guess what she is not there. I really loved her. The new hygienist was ok but I did have some discomfort. She didn't ask me for any perks that Toni did. Like a warm blanket, pillow for the neck and I didn't even get a goodie bag. I have been going to this dentist for over 2 years. Also Connie at the front desk is also gone. What's up????
Old 02-25-2014, 11:03 PM
Gold member

I occasionally have the cavitron used by my hygienist at the Periodontist I see in Ocala and believe me it is completely comfortable & I have very sensitive gums. My hygienist is a gem.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:17 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbmb24101 View Post
Thanks for this post.
Will ask for Toni.
I loved Dr. Luong but just received a letter stating she is dropping Principal Insurance so can longer go there unless I want to private pay......I'm dentist shopping again, ugh.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.