Painful dental hygienist

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2014, 09:23 AM
Veteran member
Default Painful dental hygienist

Okay. I've had routine timely dental cleanings all my life. Never a problem. But I'm going to a new dentist with a good reputation on this forum, and I must say the cleaning was quite painful. The hygienist was very nice....but boy, she hurts. I've never been accused of being sensitive before, but this was a stressful experience. No, my teeth and gums are in good shape, so that is not the reason. I don't want to tarnish whatever reputation she may have with her employer, but I'd rather go without a cleaning than see her again.

Have I just been really lucky in the past with exceptionally gentle hygienists, or is this the real world I'm now being introduced to? What is your experience?
Old 02-17-2014, 09:28 AM
Sage

Only hurts when your gums are inflamed - in my experience.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:30 AM

I had the same experience with the hygienist at my favorite dentist's. I had to ask her to stop. I'm not a wimp, but dang, she hurt! I'm not sure what I'll do. There are several hygienists in the practice, so maybe I'll ask to switch. I don't know if they would cause any ill feelings. I certainly don't want to leave my dentist. I feel your pain!
Old 02-17-2014, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Okay. I've had routine timely dental cleanings all my life. Never a problem. But I'm going to a new dentist with a good reputation on this forum, and I must say the cleaning was quite painful. The hygienist was very nice....but boy, she hurts. I've never been accused of being sensitive before, but this was a stressful experience. No, my teeth and gums are in good shape, so that is not the reason. I don't want to tarnish whatever reputation she may have with her employer, but I'd rather go without a cleaning than see her again.

Have I just been really lucky in the past with exceptionally gentle hygienists, or is this the real world I'm now being introduced to? What is your experience?

I had the SAME experience at a very reputable dentist practice. OMIGOSH. I was trying NOT to cry out and I wanted to RUN. I went to the office person that schedules the appointments with hygienists and whispered to her to not EVER give me an appointment with that person and when my next appointment came up I was given the first hygienist that I had seen there, she was a LITTLE rough in some areas and explained why saying my gums were inflamed in those areas and told me that I was doing a good job with teeth cleaning, no plaque and that the probiotic the dentist had prescribed for me that alters the germ that causes tooth decay was really working. No cavities, gave me some little bottle brushes for in between teeth and a mouthwash to dip them in when using them.

I do understand. PM me with the dentist office. I love everything else there and the dentists are wonderful. I think they rent office space to the hygienists who do not directly work for them as I am used to up north. Just guessing.

Wow. It was AWFUL.

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-17-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:09 AM

I'm wondering if it is a new procedure being used by dental hygienists? A few years back, my regular hygienist up north advised me of a new procedure (much like power-washing your home) that proved painful. She went back to her old method of scraping etc.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Veteran member

This is a little troublesome. I love my dentist here up north and get my teeth cleaned every 3 months due to some trouble many years ago with gum issues. I have read some pretty scary things on this forum about dentists. Sure hope my friends will help me pick a dentist/office when I finally get to TV. Looking for guidance and names to avoid. PM appreciated both ways.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post

Both my parents have experienced the same thing with the same hygienist at one of the Villages' area dentists. They just make sure they get someone else to do their cleanings.
Old 02-17-2014, 12:15 PM

It doesn't help if we don't know what office or who to avoid. Jimmie
Old 02-17-2014, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I go to Palm Ridge Dental and I have only ever had one problem and that was just this week. I wear a mouth guard at night which tends to build excess plaque on the inside of my lower teeth, plus the gum is receding in that area so the hygienist asked if I minded if she turned the ultrasound cleaning tip to a higher and faster level, I had no problem until she got to a tooth in the back and at that point I could feel it. The look on my face alerted her to a problem and she slowed the tip down considerably and finished without a further problem.

This was not my usual hygienist, she was very good and very efficient, but I am going back to Susan next time and she'd better not go on vacation again!

As for "selling a chair to a hygienist" - not at Palm Ridge Dental. My regular lady told me it took her two years to get into Palm Ridge, she had to wait for someone to retire!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 02-17-2014, 03:49 PM
Veteran member

I go to Serenity Dental and really like Dr. Luong, but haven't had ANY luck with several of her hygienists? We only live here 6mos and always go back north for Christmas too, so I've just been scheduling my cleanings up there......wish I didn't have to:-(
Old 02-17-2014, 05:54 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

I have really sensitive teeth and gums and I highly recommend Dr. Kathleen Williams at Palm Ridge Dental. Just had a cleaning today and her dental hygienist was wonderful. For that matter, all three of them are great.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:26 PM

Very interesting about Palm Ridge Dental. What are the hygienists names. I'd like to request a gentle one.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:09 PM
Gold member

I can relate to painful cleanings. Been going to the same dentist for about 10 yrs here in TV and I also see a periodontist in Ocala. Always experienced uncomfortable cleanings form a particular hygienist. For a few days after the cleaning my gums would be inflamed and sore. Did many warm water/salt rinses which was soothing. Never at my periodonist office would my cleanings be painful. ( I alternate between the 2 offices) It was mentioned to me that some hygenists are " heavy handed" and we as patients have every right to bring it to their attention and or request another hygienist.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:41 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

Mountaingirl, Allison and Ursula.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:39 AM
Sage
Smile

At my previous dentist I had a hygienist that I thought was very good. She was very concerned about my comfort and wellbeing. But she warned me that it might hurt a little because she needed to get under the gums to do the best possible cleaning. Every so often she would stop and ask me how I was doing and I would say, "good". I didn't mind a little discomfort as long as I knew I was getting a good cleaning. And I think she saved me from having to get a "deep cleaning". Unfortunately, she left to work for another dental office in Clermont FL.

Now I have a new dentist in the villages and the cleaning is a bit easier. I believe it's because the previous hygienist did all the hard work to keep my teeth healthy. And I give myself some credit too for eating an anti-inflammation diet. If you eat inflammatory foods, you are much more likely to get inflammation in your gums.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.