PEMF - Pulsed Electro Magnetic Therapy

Closed Thread
Old 06-26-2022, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts
Default PEMF - Pulsed Electro Magnetic Therapy

Anyone have any pro or con real experiences with PEMF ??
Please post only if you have actually used it, I'm not looking for opinions. Peace.

Here's an interesting book link at Amazon. Read the free sample!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...w_myk_ro_title
Old 06-26-2022, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Your belief that you get useful information from people who had PEMF and their thoughts are not an "opinion" might bear some reconsideration. The placebo effect is huge in pain studies. Perhaps you should be seeking the "opinion" of medical researchers and looking at real studies for your guidance.

A series on anecdotes is still anecdotal data. If I asked for TOTV experiences from those people who were in car crashes about the benefit of seat belts to prevent death, just those actually in the crash not others who had opinions, 100% of the responses would say the seat belts worked.... because when the seat belt failed the person is dead and not likely to be posting. Selection bias and wording as well as choice of data points is critical in understanding medical outcome.

If you actually want to read on the efficacy of PEMF you can sift thru the studies available on google scholar...

For those who do not know, google has a specialized search engine for science literature.

Google Scholar

There you can enter your key words, in this case PEMF and perhaps your disease, osteoarthritis human efficacy and there will be a date restriction option once you have results. For most medical data I'd suggest 2018 or more recent. Meta analysis added as a key word will get you reports of authors who combined the data from many smaller studies to try to get a better data set. Here is a screen shot of the kind of articles you see. Sometimes the link is to the entire article and sometimes to a summary only.

Google Scholar
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-26 101414.jpg
Views:	2444
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	94300  
Old 06-26-2022, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,623 Times in 5,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Your belief that you get useful information from people who had PEMF and their thoughts are not an "opinion" might bear some reconsideration. The placebo effect is huge in pain studies. Perhaps you should be seeking the "opinion" of medical researchers and looking at real studies for your guidance.

A series on anecdotes is still anecdotal data. If I asked for TOTV experiences from those people who were in car crashes about the benefit of seat belts to prevent death, just those actually in the crash not others who had opinions, 100% of the responses would say the seat belts worked.... because when the seat belt failed the person is dead and not likely to be posting. Selection bias and wording as well as choice of data points is critical in understanding medical outcome.

If you actually want to read on the efficacy of PEMF you can sift thru the studies available on google scholar...

For those who do not know, google has a specialized search engine for science literature.

Google Scholar

There you can enter your key words, in this case PEMF and perhaps your disease, osteoarthritis human efficacy and there will be a date restriction option once you have results. For most medical data I'd suggest 2018 or more recent. Meta analysis added as a key word will get you reports of authors who combined the data from many smaller studies to try to get a better data set. Here is a screen shot of the kind of articles you see. Sometimes the link is to the entire article and sometimes to a summary only.

Google Scholar
Question: If the placebo effect is huge, why doesn't the FTC or other Government entity do something to curb the non-stop television ads by companies making billions by selling OTC products solely by using anecdotal claims by customers?
Old 06-26-2022, 10:06 AM
Sage

I appreciate your thoughts so thanks for telling me what I already knew. I've extensively read the internet data and talked to my docs.

I've had cancer. I picked up tips and tidbits from other patients on how to deal with side effects. When my doc asked me about this or that, and I shared the tip, the doctor mostly said "well I didn't know that". Sometimes you have to walk the walk is my point.
Old 06-26-2022, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:

Google Scholar

Google Scholar
100% spot on!
Old 06-26-2022, 02:49 PM
Sage

Why do folks assume that google, etc has not been looked at???? I'm just looking for some local, real experiences.
There seem to be a lot of smart people around here.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Question: If the placebo effect is huge, why doesn't the FTC or other Government entity do something to curb the non-stop television ads by companies making billions by selling OTC products solely by using anecdotal claims by customers?
The federal agencies used to have exactly the authority you wish they now had. However they were stripped of the authority to regulate OTC "alternative/holistic/homeopathic/vitamin/supplement/amino acids/minerals..." products by Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 sponsored mostly by Sen O Hatch of Utah. Not surprisingly Utah was the home base of much of the industry producing these products.

The FDA used to have a rule that products must be safe and effective. That is still true for Rx meds. OTC nondrug products now only must be safe, no requirement for effective. The product label is supposed to accurately reflect what is in the pill but no government agency is checking for that. This is why some companies proudly tell you that their pill actually has what it says on the label. OTC drugs like tylenol are regulated and have useful label information.

When you see FDA approved that only means that what they are selling is allowed to be sold, not that any health benefits have been established. You will often see a statement like ""This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration." on supplements. It means exactly what it says. Buyer beware, YMMV

Advertising for supplements is no different than advertising for cars, soda, shampoos, or the most comfortable underwear.
Old 06-26-2022, 05:28 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 327 Posts

Real-life experience here. We have had a Beamer PEMF for 6 years now. Use it every day. We have definitely seen fast recovery for bruising, aches, and skin issues. And believe it or not male balding in crown area, really. Our health overall has been wonderful and we both swear by it. The system is expensive but in our life, so we’ll worth it.
Old 06-26-2022, 06:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
Real-life experience here. We have had a Beamer PEMF for 6 years now. Use it every day. We have definitely seen fast recovery for bruising, aches, and skin issues. And believe it or not male balding in crown area, really. Our health overall has been wonderful and we both swear by it. The system is expensive but in our life, so we’ll worth it.
Thanks for the input, appreciated.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Big Pharma and other people selling otc stuff owns congress. Sad isnt it.
Old 06-26-2022, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:

Google Scholar

Google Scholar
Wow had no idea about this. Went there looked up a few diseases and huge amount of info showed up.

Thank you so much.
Old 06-27-2022, 03:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,359 Times in 2,509 Posts

Many moons ago I bred and raced greyhounds as a hobby.
An early form of pulse therapy helped speed up the recovery time from muscle injuries.
It was the miracle machine of its time.
I would imagine similar machines today, with their superior technological advances, are much more effective.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:31 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 449 Posts

Quote:
Money money money
Old 06-27-2022, 04:37 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I appreciate your thoughts so thanks for telling me what I already knew. I've extensively read the internet data and talked to my docs.

I've had cancer. I picked up tips and tidbits from other patients on how to deal with side effects. When my doc asked me about this or that, and I shared the tip, the doctor mostly said "well I didn't know that". Sometimes you have to walk the walk is my point.
My daughter and niece use TENS and loves it. Maybe try the TENS first it would be on a smaller scale then the mat but may help you see if you get the relief you are looking for.
TENS can be ordered by your dr or you can buy them on Amazon.
Best to you
Old 06-27-2022, 05:26 AM

I don’t believe People still trust Goggle as a search engine! Using Goggle is like literally involving BIG Brother in everything you do!!
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill
Closed Thread

Tags
pemf, interesting, opinions, peace, book

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.