Pharmacist Talk-Flu Vaccine

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Veteran member
Default Pharmacist Talk-Flu Vaccine

This year's flu vaccine INCLUDES 2009 H1N1 and comes in a higher dose version called Fluzone HD for seniors.
All the 2010 vaccines (Fluzone, FluMist, etc) contain the 2009 H1N1 strain plus two additional "seasonal" strains.
This year flu vaccine is recommended for people 6 months and older.
Seasonal flu causes more complications in the elderly and those with certain chronic conditions...H1N1 causes more complications in children, young adults, and pregnant women.
We expect enough vaccine for everyone who wants it.
Some flu vaccines are delayed a few weeks for new labeling that the prefilled syringe tip caps MIGHT contain latex. If you are allergic to latex, consider using a multidose vial vaccine instead.
Most people will need just one dose of flu vaccine.
Kids age 8 and under who are getting flu vaccine for the first time...or did not get H1N1 vaccine last year should get 2 doses.
Fluzone HD for seniors. This high-dose vaccine has 4 times as much antigen as the standard adult vaccine to help boost immunity.
It can increase antibody titers. But that doesn't necessarily mean it will be more effective for preventing flu.
Seniors shouldn't automatically use Fluzone HD . It can cause more local reactions and "flu-like" symptoms. It also costs twice as much...but it's covered by Medicare part B for seniors.
Consider Fluzone HD if you are over 65 and are at higher risk for flu complications.
For kids under 8, don't use Afluria vaccine The formulation used in the southern hemisphere this year caused seizures and high fevers in young children.
Barry

Last edited by brostholder; 09-20-2010 at 09:40 AM.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

We had ours last week and for the first time ever, I felt a little punk.

It is worth it to avoid the true nasty stuff. AND maybe it was another microbe that gave me a little headache and crummy feeling for a day or two.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Should I have the flu shot if I have had Epstein-Barr virus, which still shows in my blood?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by brostholder View Post
This year's flu vaccine INCLUDES 2009 H1N1 and comes in a higher dose version called Fluzone HD for seniors.
All the 2010 vaccines (Fluzone, FluMist, etc) contain the 2009 H1N1 strain plus two additional "seasonal" strains.
This year flu vaccine is recommended for people 6 months and older.
Seasonal flu causes more complications in the elderly and those with certain chronic conditions...H1N1 causes more complications in children, young adults, and pregnant women.
We expect enough vaccine for everyone who wants it.
Some flu vaccines are delayed a few weeks for new labeling that the prefilled syringe tip caps MIGHT contain latex. If you are allergic to latex, consider using a multidose vial vaccine instead.
Most people will need just one dose of flu vaccine.
Kids age 8 and under who are getting flu vaccine for the first time...or did not get H1N1 vaccine last year should get 2 doses.
Fluzone HD for seniors. This high-dose vaccine has 4 times as much antigen as the standard adult vaccine to help boost immunity.
It can increase antibody titers. But that doesn't necessarily mean it will be more effective for preventing flu.
Seniors shouldn't automatically use Fluzone HD . It can cause more local reactions and "flu-like" symptoms. It also costs twice as much...but it's covered by Medicare part B for seniors.
Consider Fluzone HD if you are over 65 and are at higher risk for flu complications.
For kids under 8, don't use Afluria vaccine The formulation used in the southern hemisphere this year caused seizures and high fevers in young children.
Barry
Barry, thanks for this timely and helpful information.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Eternal Member

We went to Walgreen's the other day to get a prescription filled and they were giving the flu shots. No waiting. So we am good for this year.

Like Gracie I did feel a little yucky that evening but I was okay the next day.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
.....for the first time ever, I felt a little punk...
My heavens Gracie, you must have been quite delirious. I hope he wasn’t a minor.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdVinMass View Post
My heavens Gracie, you must have been quite delirious. I hope he wasn’t a minor.
ROFLMAO!!!

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Old 09-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
OMG, I'm still laughing.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Sage

Boy Howdy!
Old 09-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Should I have the flu shot if I have had Epstein-Barr virus, which still shows in my blood?
I see no contraindications for receiving the vaccine if you have Epstein-Barr. My first thoughts are that since you may have a slightly compromised immune system due to EB, then the flu shot would be a good idea. Let's not confuse this with Guillaine-Barre which IS contraindicated for the flu shot. Before you do anything, my advice is to check with your doctor.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by brostholder View Post
I see no contraindications for receiving the vaccine if you have Epstein-Barr. My first thoughts are that since you may have a slightly compromised immune system due to EB, then the flu shot would be a good idea. Let's not confuse this with Guillaine-Barre which IS contraindicated for the flu shot. Before you do anything, my advice is to check with your doctor.
Thank you, brostholder. I have EB, not Guillaine-Barre. I will take that flu shot. Thanks again.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Sage

Epstein-Barre is frequently said to be the cause of Mononucleosis and chronic fatique syndrome, and will show up on blood tests if you were previously infected. Guillian-Barre' is the cause of a certain form of paralysis that happens much more rarely.

What about the flu vaccine would connect with Guillian-Barre'? The cause of Guillian Barre' hasn't been indentified if I remember correctly.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-20-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Sage

I don't know if this is the answer Gracie. It is interesting though.

I have never had a flu shot. I had the flu once in my life. I believe it was just about one of the worst illnesses I've ever encountered.

Doctors told us otherwise; but I know with all of my heart and soul that my Mom got pneumonia after receiving her pneumonia shot. She had acute diabetes and ended up in ICU in a coma. She'd never had the flu or pneumonia before in her life. She got pneumonia about three days after getting her shot.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/gbs_qa.htm
Old 09-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
I don't know if this is the answer Gracie. It is interesting though.

I have never had a flu shot. I had the flu once in my life. I believe it was just about one of the worst illnesses I've ever encountered.

Doctors told us otherwise; but I know with all of my heart and soul that my Mom got pneumonia after receiving her pneumonia shot. She had acute diabetes and ended up in ICU in a coma. She'd never had the flu or pneumonia before in her life. She got pneumonia about three days after getting her shot.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/gbs_qa.htm
Wow Cuz,
My mom got pneumonia a few years ago three days after getting a pneumonia shot too.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.