Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,502 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Wow Cuz,
My mom got pneumonia a few years ago three days after getting a pneumonia shot too.
When I hear that from two people who I truly respect, my mind leaps to conclusions!
Old 09-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default Don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Should I have the flu shot if I have had Epstein-Barr virus, which still shows in my blood?
I don't think they will give it to you.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALYBOW View Post
I don't think they will give it to you.
I've had Epstein-Barr virus since I was infected with mononucleosis in junior high. Also suffered from chronic fatique for a duration of 5 years in early 2001and I understand this is all Epstein-Barr related. But, I've never been refused a flu shot.

I'm more cautious with what goes into my body now than I was before. That's why I asked.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Epstein-Barre is frequently said to be the cause of Mononucleosis and chronic fatique syndrome, and will show up on blood tests if you were previously infected. Guillian-Barre' is the cause of a certain form of paralysis that happens much more rarely.

What about the flu vaccine would connect with Guillian-Barre'? The cause of Guillian Barre' hasn't been indentified if I remember correctly.
Gracie, you are correct.I should have been a bit more specific. People who are not at high risk for flu should not be vaccinated within 6 weeks of a GBS episode. The following is from the Centers for Disease Control:
The incidence of GBS among the general population is low, but persons with a history of GBS have a substantially greater likelihood of subsequently experiencing GBS than persons without such a history . Thus, the likelihood of coincidentally experiencing GBS after influenza vaccination is expected to be greater among persons with a history of GBS than among persons with no history of this syndrome. Whether influenza vaccination specifically might increase the risk for recurrence of GBS is unknown. Among 311 patients with GBS who responded to a survey, 11 (4%) reported some worsening of symptoms after influenza vaccination; however, some of these patients had received other vaccines at the same time, and recurring symptoms were generally mild (317). However, as a precaution, persons who are not at high risk for severe influenza complications and who are known to have experienced GBS within 6 weeks of receipt of an influenza vaccine generally should not be vaccinated. As an alternative, physicians might consider using influenza antiviral chemoprophylaxis for these persons. Although data are limited, the established benefits of influenza vaccination might outweigh the risks for many persons who have a history of GBS and who also are at high risk for severe complications from influenza.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,502 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by brostholder View Post
Gracie, you are correct.I should have been a bit more specific. People who are not at high risk for flu should not be vaccinated within 6 weeks of a GBS episode. The following is from the Centers for Disease Control:
The incidence of GBS among the general population is low, but persons with a history of GBS have a substantially greater likelihood of subsequently experiencing GBS than persons without such a history . Thus, the likelihood of coincidentally experiencing GBS after influenza vaccination is expected to be greater among persons with a history of GBS than among persons with no history of this syndrome. Whether influenza vaccination specifically might increase the risk for recurrence of GBS is unknown. Among 311 patients with GBS who responded to a survey, 11 (4%) reported some worsening of symptoms after influenza vaccination; however, some of these patients had received other vaccines at the same time, and recurring symptoms were generally mild (317). However, as a precaution, persons who are not at high risk for severe influenza complications and who are known to have experienced GBS within 6 weeks of receipt of an influenza vaccine generally should not be vaccinated. As an alternative, physicians might consider using influenza antiviral chemoprophylaxis for these persons. Although data are limited, the established benefits of influenza vaccination might outweigh the risks for many persons who have a history of GBS and who also are at high risk for severe complications from influenza.
Thank you Brostholder. Your good information is so appreciated here. What a good, and SMART person you are!
Old 09-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Yes, thank you!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:55 AM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Thank you Brostholder. Your good information is so appreciated here. What a good, and SMART person you are!
and you are obviously a fine judge of character!!
Old 09-21-2010, 11:59 AM
Sage

Thank you brostholder for your time and information. I think you are a true asset to this forum. This forum is made up of people who are really a true wealth of information and you my friend are one of the best. Again, thank you.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:37 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
Thank you brostholder for your time and information. I think you are a true asset to this forum. This forum is made up of people who are really a true wealth of information and you my friend are one of the best. Again, thank you.
believe me....it was my pleasure!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.