Piriformis Syndrome

Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2017, 03:22 PM
Default Piriformis Syndrome

I have suffered from this piriformis syndrome March of 2015. Tried oral cortisone which did nothing, tried physical therapy which basically did nothing and tried a chiropractor with no relief. Deep tissue massage was very uncomfortable and did not help either. Started seeing a physiatrist 1 year ago and had several treatments of robotic massage with no help and in January 2017 had my first cortisone injection with some relief. Since then have had 3 more cortisone injections with one being very helpful and the last 2 very little relief. Have decided to get a second opinion but not sure what type of doctor to see. Anyone have any input into this?
Old 10-29-2017, 03:56 PM

Try a different Physical Therapist. Someone who can look at your posture, gait, activities and has expertise in manual therapy techniques such as muscle energy, cranio- sacral, or mobilization. I live up North so I am not familiar with the P.T.'s in or around TV to make a specific recommendation. Good luck, hang in there!
Old 10-29-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humdinger View Post
I have suffered from this piriformis syndrome March of 2015. Tried oral cortisone which did nothing, tried physical therapy which basically did nothing and tried a chiropractor with no relief. Deep tissue massage was very uncomfortable and did not help either. Started seeing a physiatrist 1 year ago and had several treatments of robotic massage with no help and in January 2017 had my first cortisone injection with some relief. Since then have had 3 more cortisone injections with one being very helpful and the last 2 very little relief. Have decided to get a second opinion but not sure what type of doctor to see. Anyone have any input into this?
Cranial sacral therapy may help combined with massage that involves stretching. Try some gentle yoga.

Did you receive any advice on stretches that would help?

George
Old 10-29-2017, 04:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I developed bad siatica while playing pickelball. When to see a PT and he put me on a table, laid face down and he gets almost on top of you and pressed real hard in the cheeks of my Butt...not once not twice but a couple of times until he hit the spot and I jumped...He said no problem I know what you have and put me on home exercises plus machine exercises at PT along with some in PT Butt massages. 4 weeks later all gone but he told me to continue with the excercises...piriformis syndrome can be very painful.
Old 10-29-2017, 04:21 PM
Gold member
Default Not sure why you would post here

Quote:
Not sure why you would post here perhaps out of desperation.

I am only replying because I've suffered from serious back pain for the past four years. So I sort of feel your pain.

RE: Cortisone
It is a steroid and it is normal to get diminishing returns. Also, there is a limit to how often you SHOULD take it.

Opioids-frankly used to be prescribed like candy. As you surely know, the doctors have a large BLAME for people getting themselves addicted. HOPE YOU'VE NOT GONE DOWN THAT PATH.

I see you've tried chiropractic and massage-I did the same. Both of them are an ART-You might want to try another practitioner. I went to a massage place and they had all the TOYS-they did me NO GOOD. Another guy used only his hands and something that looked like a spoon-WOW I GOT RELIEF FOR SEVERAL DAYS-A MIRACLE.

I've not tried it but the other thing people use is acupuncture.

HOPE I'VE BEEN SOME HELP
Old 10-29-2017, 05:45 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Humdinger,

Is it possible that you do not have the correct diagnosis?

A synovial cyst in the lumbar spine can cause some of the same symptoms as piriformis syndrome. A synovial cyst will not show up on an x-ray. Diagnosis requires an MRI.

Synovial cysts are benign and are termed rare. But I think it is possible that synovial cysts are more under-diagnosed than rare because insurance companies discourage MRIs.

These cysts form from synovial fluid and can occur as we age and the space between the spinal discs narrows. A synovial cyst in the lumbar area can grow to compress nerves -- causing pain, sometimes excruciating and constant, in the butt and legs. (On an x-ray, the spine itself might not show degeneration to the point of explaining the intensity of the pain so treatment proceeds without the knowledge that a synovial cyst exists. Without an MRI, this approach can go on for a long time, while time is lost and pain increases.)

Sometimes aspiration of the cyst can drain fluid, but if the cyst has hardened, surgery may be necessary. It is a tiny incision. This surgery should be done by a neurosurgeon because, after all, this is spinal cord territory.

Please Google synovial cyst and you will find some legitimate medical sources for details. With that information, you then can decide if what I am saying is a possibility to discuss with your doctor.

You have been hurting for a long time. If a synovial cyst is the culprit, physical therapy and massages can't fix it. But a good neurosurgeon can.

Last edited by Boomer; 10-31-2017 at 08:34 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 10-30-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
I developed bad siatica while playing pickelball. When to see a PT and he put me on a table, laid face down and he gets almost on top of you and pressed real hard in the cheeks of my Butt...not once not twice but a couple of times until he hit the spot and I jumped...He said no problem I know what you have and put me on home exercises plus machine exercises at PT along with some in PT Butt massages. 4 weeks later all gone but he told me to continue with the excercises...piriformis syndrome can be very painful.
Can you tell me which PT you saw & where? I've had this since 2010. Very painful. Have had different treatments with stretching helping the most, but it comes back after I sit. Would like to get off pain pills. Thanks.

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 10-30-2017, 07:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
Hi:
Can you recommend the name of your Physical Therapist? and where located?

Thanks,
Judy
Old 10-30-2017, 10:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I went to this PT over 5 years ago and unfortunately I cannot find his information. I will continue to look for it...Sorry!
Old 10-30-2017, 02:39 PM

my doctor has worked wonders for my sciatica and piriformis syndrome.
i think he is the best around, and was recently awarded the best physician in the tri county are
by the peoples choice awards for the daily commercial...he is caring, knowledgeable and understanding of the condition.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:29 PM

In my case, a very strange kind of stretch has provided piriformis syndrome relief. It's very difficult for most folks to do unless your hips are very limber. There is actually a device sold to help you do the right stretch if your hips are not limber, but I don't need it. Nothing else has helped me except this weird stretch. Lie on your back on bed with your knees pulled up,and your feet flat on the bed. Now can you drop your knee to the side, twist your lower leg as you raise your foot and grab it in your opposite hand? Then with both hands pull your foot and knee towards your chest. Just a couple of inches makes the difference. Stretch and rest about five times. Do this every morning and night. Sincerely hope it helps you. Piriformis feels like sitting on a knitting needle. Please check with your doctor first. I am not a medical professional!

Old 11-01-2017, 07:59 AM
Gold member

The thing about Piriformis Syndrome is that pain reduction is an ongoing process, you need to do the work. The exercise that digitalgranny described is excellent. That combed with icing once or twice a day and also water walking will help a lot. I have been the route of original poster, however the robot therapy and deep hip injection has made me 90% better. Now it’s up to me. Sometimes after you attain the knowledge you just have to use it. Truthfully I find the water walking is wonderful, I can walk for an hour in pool but can’t walk 100 yards on land without pain.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
No Pun, but I do feel your pain.===I suffered Piriformis Syndrome for about 8 years--it was mis diagnosed, then I had Physical Therapy (a waste of time and money) injections of saline into the piriformis muscle to help release the tension--finally during hip replacement surgery, the piriformis muscle tendon was cut to release the pressure---I see the following doctor for an unrelated problem, but I would recomend him. His name is Dr. Brad Homan, Celebration Orthopaedic Sports Medicine--very good--and is familiar with Piriformis Syndrome 321 939-0222. My wife thought I was crazy living with the piriformis pain--but it is real. good luck
Old 11-02-2017, 11:40 AM
Sage

I thought I had low back/spinal issues...went the gamut of an MRI, pain dr./steroid shots (didn't help at all) until I saw the folks at All Coast Physical Therapy in the Oakwood complex on 441. They looked at the MRI and told me my pain (which was significant) wasn't spinal but soft tissue. I went to them for 6 or 8 wks and the pain disappeared. Yes there is a stretching you can do for this at home but I would start with someone who knows what they're doing. I thought I was having bad sciatica and it wasn't that at all. Google P.S. on the internet too as there's a lot of info re: it there!
Old 11-06-2017, 01:44 PM

Who is your doctor??
Closed Thread

Tags
cortisone, relief, massage, piriformis, syndrome

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.