Plan F v. Plan G (Medicare Supplement)

Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2021, 06:02 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Plan F v. Plan G (Medicare Supplement)

We are grandfathered into Plan F.

But I am thinking seriously about Plan G, even though I know we would not be able to get Plan F back if we do not continue with it.

I have not seen our 2022 Plan F costs yet, but I know it will be getting more and more expensive.

We will continue with Medicare as primary. That I know for sure.

Any advice from anyone who has let go of Plan F or is thinking about it?

Thanks.

Boomer
Old 09-12-2021, 06:48 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

"As of January 1, 2020, Medigap plans sold to new people with Medicare aren't allowed to cover the Part B deductible. Because of this, Plans C and F are not available to people new to Medicare starting on January 1, 2020. If you already have either of these 2 plans (or the high deductible version of Plan F) or are covered by one of these plans before January 1, 2020, you’ll be able to keep your plan. If you were eligible for Medicare before January 1, 2020, but not yet enrolled, you may be able to buy one of these plans."

A chart on the site compares the plans and what they offer. This feature appears to be the only difference between F and G.

I have always had Plan F and plan to keep it for now. I suppose it may be phased out at some point.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 09-12-2021 at 06:54 PM.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
"As of January 1, 2020, Medigap plans sold to new people with Medicare aren't allowed to cover the Part B deductible. Because of this, Plans C and F are not available to people new to Medicare starting on January 1, 2020. If you already have either of these 2 plans (or the high deductible version of Plan F) or are covered by one of these plans before January 1, 2020, you’ll be able to keep your plan. If you were eligible for Medicare before January 1, 2020, but not yet enrolled, you may be able to buy one of these plans."

A chart on the site compares the plans and what they offer. This feature appears to be the only difference between F and G.

I have always had Plan F and plan to keep it for now. I suppose it may be phased out at some point.
As I recall the only difference in coverage was the Medicare deductible
so if the difference in monthly premiums makes it cheaper to go with Plan G then why not. I think the UHC plans were not that different in terms of total cost based on premiums, you would just be paying more in January to cover the Medicare deductible but less per month for you premiums. I stayed with F.

Always be humble and kind.
Old 10-11-2021, 03:18 PM
Sage

The two differences between Plan F and Plan G are that Plan F includes the approximately $200 Part B deductible and the Plan G premiums are typically lower cost. If the Plan G premiums are more than approximately $200 less per year than the Plan F premiums then you should switch to Plan G. The premiums vary from area to area. Around here, switching to Plan G will typically be lower cost. You might also want to look at the Plan N numbers as that Plan may make sense also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

But I am thinking seriously about Plan G, even though I know we would not be able to get Plan F back if we do not continue with it.

I have not seen our 2022 Plan F costs yet, but I know it will be getting more and more expensive.

Thanks.

Boomer
Old 10-11-2021, 05:11 PM

I have been considering changing from my plan F to plan G. If I were to do this would I need to worry about any pre existing conditions or other possible exclusions? I have a feeling that plan F premiums will be rising at a faster rate than plan G premiums, due to locked in aging of persons in plan F and influx of "younger" people coming into the plan G.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:11 PM
Sage

If you have AARP/UHC Medicare supplemental in Florida then you can change plans without underwriting. I don't know about other plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
I have been considering changing from my plan F to plan G. If I were to do this would I need to worry about any pre existing conditions or other possible exclusions? I have a feeling that plan F premiums will be rising at a faster rate than plan G premiums, due to locked in aging of persons in plan F and influx of "younger" people coming into the plan G.
Old 10-30-2021, 03:14 PM
Platinum member

We just changed to Plan G from Plan N after much study.
Old 10-31-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit Medigap View Post
Hi Boomer,

why would you switch to Plan G? The answer is because Plan G and Plan F are identical plans once the Part B deductible is met on Plan G ($203 for 2021). If the premium on G is less and you save at least $203 per year it would be worth considering.

Regards,
Bill
SummitMedigap.com
904-823-0707 direct line
Can you please tell me when the rates for 2022 will be available,thanks
Old 10-31-2021, 08:19 AM
Sage

Old 10-31-2021, 08:34 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Thanks.

Boomer
Plan G is the best you can get if you want to see any doctor and have tests and treatments done without waiting or hassle. Yes it will cost you more but who wants to put a price on their healthcare especially when they get older. If you can afford it get it.
Closed Thread

Tags
plan, medicare, continue, thinking, primary

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.