Please just stay home a little while longer if you are...

Closed Thread
Old 05-10-2020, 08:05 AM

CDC Published from 2/1 to 4/11

Week ending date in which the death occurred

COVID-19 Deaths (U07.1)1 = 11,356

Deaths with Pneumonia, Influenza, or COVID (U07.1 or J09-J18.9)2 = 54,217

Deaths from All Causes = 569,403
Old 05-10-2020, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stnkydogs View Post
There are multiple studies that support the effectiveness of social distancing. Logically if it prevents transmission it also prevents deaths from Covid. Irresponsible behavior will risk the lives of others, including the health care professionals you will no doubt seek out if you get Covid. Regarding the economic impact, it seems many Villages are financially healthy, with no impact on regular pension and SS deposits. Question is, how are you helping to support those less fortunate? Have you donated to the cause recently, have you generously (over) tipped delivery or take out persons, have you supported the local food bank? Everyone has a part to minimize the impact of the pandemic. Stop whining, we're all in this together. If you're bored, find a new activity that won't risk the health/welfare of others.
Just what are the activities that you believe risk the health/welfare of others?
Old 05-10-2020, 08:14 AM

On the upside, opening up may save the social security fund.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:16 AM
Veteran member

IMHO...We all have the right to our individual decisions. This is, after all, America....the land of the free. It's our personal responsibility to protect OURSELVES as we go about our daily routines. Life is a risk. Going out in our car is a risk. But we do it so often, it's something we never even think about. Eating at a restaurant, and so many of us do, it's a risk. …..salmonella, E Coli among others..Hepatitis…. nobody worries about these things. I think that it's because most of us take reasonable precautions.
As for this pandemic, I don't go looking for it, but I know that I HAVE TO BE EXPOSED TO IT SOMETIME in order to develop an immunity. Do I think it will kill me?? I doubt it, but also know that it is a risk that needs to be taken. Just like getting out on the highway in the car.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:20 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficoguy View Post
Yep. You can't fight mother nature - famine, floods, disease are part of the natural pattern on the planet.
Some day the sun will go supernova, after it turns into a red giant and cooks the earth.
Nancy Pelosi would say Trump ignored the science astro physics...
Hello, ficoguy,

You don’t miss a beat, do ya —

Oh well, I hope you will give my post here some thought.

As of yesterday morning, the reported numbers were, as follow:

Global:
Cases: 3,979,442
Deaths: 276,421

United States:
Cases: 1,291,100
Deaths: 77,489

Whether it be contract negotiations or ROI, I have always paid attention to percentages. Feel free to check my math. I did it in my head so it might be a little rough:

33% - United States Percentage of Global Cases
28% - United States Percentage of Global Deaths

I was appalled at what I was seeing in those numbers so I looked up the percentage of the US population relative to the population of the world:

4.5% - Yep. That’s us, our population, in relation to the whole world. I was beyond appalled at that stat.

Even though the virus could not have been stopped, it seems like it could have at least been headed off at the pass by responding to what was known in, ohhhh, let me see — January.

And why are tests being stonewalled? A numbers game?

Sassy Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 05-10-2020 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Hello, ficoguy,

Global:

United States:

Boomer
Global deaths all other causes: 153,400 PER DAY
Old 05-10-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley77 View Post
My question is, if all those that are so worried about being infected are willing to cause 30 million people to be thrown out of work and destroy the economy, when does it end? Do people really think that after a business is closed for 2 months it can just re-open? After people have been propagandized for months about gloves and masks and "distancing", they're going to go right back to concerts, airplanes and restaurants? We are now in for years of depression level unemployment because Fauci et al wanted to run a giant experiment. Have you given a thought to the physical and emotional damage unemployment does to families? Please multiply by 30 million. Add a bankrupt country with $25 trillion in debt. Now call the person who wants to open the economy selfish. You do realize that there is no evidence (No studies, none) to support the theory that distancing and masks and gloves even work to reduce the level of deaths? This concept of quarantining healthy people has never been done, anywhere, ever. 8,000 people die every day in the U.S. from all causes. We can have lockdowns forever to prevent this or that illness. Have fun with the new normal.
Thank you. This is what many - here and elsewhere - just won't respond to. It's like "yeah, 'they'll' figure that out when the right time comes". Sorry - it's almost assuredly not going to work that way. "But you just want to put us all at risk with your irresponsible behavior!!!" Right... We know about that irresponsibility. It's the kind of irresponsibility where you work for a living to raise and feed yourself and your family. That's selfish and irresponsible. Gotcha.

So when, then - specifically and explicitly - do you think it's going to be OK to get back to some semblance of living? Six months? A year? Eighteen months? Please...give an actual time vs. some generalized comment. No "whenever the politicos and epidemiologists say it's ok!" response. Where's our answer(s) on how the economy is going to come back? And why don't we - as a whole - care about that? It's astonishing to me. There's no "big picture" here any longer.

The damage done to the economy already is devastating. But hey, it's a good thing every company - particularly small companies and independent contractors and/or gig workers - have saved tons of money to carry them through this minor inconvenience. Oh wait - real life doesn't really work that way. These companies will perish. The employees will have to hope they can find new and commensurate jobs. Tough luck for them, though, right? At least we're retired! And no big deal, the Fed will just print trillions of dollars to prop things up.

What I find selfish is people who think nothing of preaching responsibility about what others do vis-à-vis their activities and the virus, yet seemingly don't think one wit about where we're all going to be at that yet undetermined time when people feel they can relax the hunkering down. You should try to envision that. It's not going to be pretty.

I know, I know...cue the "the economy doesn't matter if you're dead!" remarks. Add to that the "you don't have the right to infect me!" comments. Expected. But there are many daily activities that entail risks of sorts that we think nothing of. We engage in them because they are part of what encompasses living. Now, what we collectively engage in is fear.

Many of us don't do anything to keep our own bodies in shape - thereby increasing the odds that we'll succumb to some medical malady, virus-related or not. But hey, don't risk my life by potentially spreading that virus! If I want to be overweight, drink and smoke, that's my choice! Of course, your family and friends might think differently.

What there should be is a plan to help protect and sequester the elderly and otherwise vulnerable, while allowing younger people to go back to work. Keep this in place until there is that vaccine. It's a sensible - and reasonable - compromise.

Yeah, I'm just someone else worrying about that little thing called the economy. I just don't grasp what's really important. Who needs an economy, anyway? What am I thinking? We'll all be fine.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:36 AM

Dr Boogie, IMHO, nailed it! Everyone keeps slamming "the government" and praising "the doctors and science/data"? Well, in case you weren't sure, Dr Birx, and Dr Fauci ARE the government. They are both employed by the government. AND, like some/many politicians, got some predictions WRONG?! Of course, everyone jumps on the politicians early predictions(especially ones they despise), but completely ignore the earlier comments those doctors(i.e. advisors) predicted?! This is all new to us. And it becomes challenging when we're dealing with people dying, and the economy also causing it's severe affliction to this country. And when you have mucho advisors telling you various things, it becomes even more difficult. Of course, there's no shortage of Monday Morning Quarterbacks, who knew it all along. Right! Let's just pray we get thru this whole again. Amen!
Old 05-10-2020, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by devorejh View Post
Thank you for a realistic post. It is that 5% that have underlying conditions that need to be careful. The more they test we’re finding that many more people had this than thought had covid, which is a good thing. Mortality rate keeps going down. Like you said those people at risk just need to be careful. The rest of us want to get back to our normal lives.
NO. It is not the 5% with underlying conditions. NO. NO. NO. It is all people over 65. 80% of people who have died from Covid-19 are the elderly, folks over 65, and the older the higher the risk goes, whether or not they have underlying conditions, which most people do have. High blood pressure? Overweight? Do not exercise enough? I keep hearing people assume they are safe because they have no "underlying conditions" but if you are living here you are old enough to be in the high risk group.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:53 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,204 Times in 465 Posts

Looks like the mostly deadly places are jails and nursing homes where people are enclosed. So going out may be the best solution. Like Braveheart, F R E E D O M!
Old 05-10-2020, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
My question, if all those that want to get on with their lives are willing to infect the others or get infected by the others that want to get on with their lives, is it because they believe they can easily survive, don't believe any of the stats or believe it only happens to those with underlying conditions or are vulnerable? Just curious?
so you will self quarantine until everyone in the US or the world for that matter will A) receive a vaccine and B) be tested for antibodies? You’ll have a long wait. And oh but the way, if you are tested and are asymptomatic and the test reveals you are a carrier, then you’re in it for the long haul.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:58 AM

It's all selfishness. They should be part of the "me" generation.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Hello, ficoguy,

Global:

United States:

Whether it be contract negotiations or ROI, I have always paid attention to percentages. Feel free to check my math. I did it in my head so it might be a little rough:

I was appalled at what I was seeing in those numbers so I looked up the percentage of the US population relative to the population of the world:

4.5% - Yep. That’s us, our population, in relation to the whole world. I was beyond appalled at that stat.

Even though the virus could not have been stopped, it seems like it could have at least been headed off at the pass by responding to what was known in, ohhhh, let me see — January.

Sassy Boomer
As stated by Dr. Birx, they are very liberal with the numbers when it comes to listing Covid as the cause of death. Over the last few weeks there have been a number of physicians who have stated publicly that they were/are directed to list any death any death as Covid caused or related I even though the patient had severe medical complications in addition to being infected. The testing isn’t being stonewalled, you want accurate test results and currently for example there are only five diagnostic companies that have had their antibody tests approved for public use.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:17 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Hello, ficoguy,

Global:

United States:

Sassy Boomer
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Global deaths all other causes: 153,400 PER DAY

Aw, c’mon, my entire quote is above. Why did you pick and choose what part to use with your response. (rhetorical question — thus no question mark)

I gotta get outa here. Too many posters tuned in to screens that keep them in a constant state of agitation — and it shows. And — then — this morning — damn contagious to me.

Maybe reading up on the amygdala, and also on the Dunning-Kruger effect, could help to understand what’s going on, causing us to be tribal. Brain science, used to manipulate for the purpose of grabbing power, is wrecking our country.

And, who among us has not had a personal relationship affected as a result. (This tribalism has even affected dating. A woman I know tells me that knowing someone’s politics are opposite is an immediate deal-breaker. Whatever happened to, “Hey, baby, what’s your sign?”) (sigh) Oh well, I digress —

Anyway, I have to stop looking at TOTV because eventually sitting on my typing fingers stops working. Not good for me.

Pogo was right.

Still Sassy, and Nostalgic Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 05-14-2020 at 09:16 AM.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:18 AM

Fauchi and Birx are credible doctors who need to be trusted. Who else would you trust?
Closed Thread

Tags
rejoin, choice, responsibility, personal, society

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.