Pre-existing condition

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2010, 08:33 AM
Default MassHealth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Oldcrabs View Post
Part of the new healthcare bill will eliminate the "pre-existing condition" clause. Insurance companies will not be able to deny or charge you more . Not sure what year it takes effect ( I think it is 2012). But there is movement to repeal the healthcare bill. We wish you the best.
the health care bill needs to be revised I am dealing with MassHealth the national bill is based on our bill here, so far it has not been the best experience
Old 08-28-2010, 08:46 AM
Platinum member

I was in the same position. Cancer in 2003. Treated and then lost insurance coverage in 2004. Fortunately, I was near 65 and we took out an insurance policy that did not cover cancer for a short period of time.

Hopefully when the new health insurance program kicks in, this won't happen to people.
Tampa, FL

Last edited by Avista; 08-28-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Gold member

I read thru the posts, and the health care highlights when it passed, appears to me (and maybe I've got it wrong) that in 2014 (can't remember if Jan. or July) they can no longer deny adults for pre-existing conditions (not sure if you need to have had continuous coverage) and put a cap on premiums - something like twice or three times as much as they charge the customer with the lowest premium.

I'm currently on COBRA from office closing in Dec. 2009 and will be looking for a private policy as of July, 2011. Won't be 65 until Oct. 2014. Makes me almost afraid to go to doctor for my yearly physical in case they detect high blood pressure or high cholesterol or something.

When I had a private policy about 10 years ago, they excluded a pre-existing condition for 2 years, but it was a minor, although chronic, condition. I know others who have histories of breast cancer who do have inclusive policies, but it is VERY expensive coverage (over $1,000/mo) and may also be high deductible policies. Not sure how long they had to be cancer free - 5 years? - and maybe it gets reviewed for type of cancer, prognosis, etc. Don't know if they had to get current cancer-free physicals or not.

Now you can see why we needed health care reform, and although it's certainly not perfect, at least it's a start (at least IMO).
Old 08-28-2010, 09:21 AM

ohiogirl, we feel your pain and your fears are well founded. My husband was on COBRA and never had health issues but as it was running out 2 years ago he went to get a private policy and was denied because his blood pressure and cholesterol were elevated. It was so slight that meds were not even required. Once denied you have to admit that on other applications which apparently raised flags to other carriers as he was repeatedly denied. He was then without insurance and within months was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Surgery, etc. all ended up being paid out of pocket and sealed his fate for ever getting insurance. He applied under this new healthcare bill July 1st, was approved and has just sent his premium in and waiting for confirmation of coverage. I am not a fan of government involvement however what is one to do, something has to change.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:56 AM
Default Another watch out for

My insurance carrier in WI did not have a license in Florida to provide insurance. I had Cobra but it was an HMO policy which was not accepted by doctors here. Had to change this to POS policy. More deductable ($5000) and still a big hassle finding a doctor that took it.
Now, my COBRA is running out 1 month before my 65 birthday, 7 months before my wifes. I called my "up north" carrier asking if they had a conversion plan for the one month, they don't. Had to apply to HIPPA, they turned us down saying we are eligable for a conversion plan with my present insurer. I called the HIPPA insurance provider who were very nice and are investigating.
All the plans the government is providing is after our needs. No help.
Point of this is, make sure you have this health care stuff figured out before you move. Would the problem prevented us from moving here, no. We just would have had a better plan.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:54 AM
Default We are in the same boat

I feel for you. I have a pre-existing condition and as covered by the Texas High Risk Pool. Florida does not have a risk pool and when I called they stated that they would not be opening one as the federal government plan kicks in in 2014. I was turned down by the new pre-existing pool as I have insurance. I just don't want to go thru the risk of no insurance for 6 months. The trouble would be is everything that has ever been treated for (even if 1 time) they could call a pre-existing condition. We are still hoping. Good Luck and if you find anything, please let me know. BJ
Old 09-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Veteran member

I am reading these posts with a look of horror on my face. How can anyone be against healthcare reform after reading this? The insurance companies sound like mid-way "hucksters" at a carnival who are willing to take your money in vast amounts but will not pay off if you win any of their games!
Think about it folks!
Old 09-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Gold member
Default Pre-existing condition

The Villages Hospital is a good employer with excellent benefits - you can get get part time or full time benefits, with certain hours required for each. Depending on what your wife does, it might worth it to check out their website and look under careers. Best of luck and hope to see you here one day.
Old 09-10-2010, 11:02 AM

I don't blame the insurance companies. I blame the government as there is a federal law preventing transfer of insurance across state lines.

We are going to be in Florida in November and I do plan on taking my resume to The Villages Hospital. We can always hope. BJ
Old 09-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Platinum member

I DO blame the insurance companies. I lost my insurance after breast cancer.
Tampa, FL
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.