? Prednisone 10 mg tablets?

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2019, 02:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default ? Prednisone 10 mg tablets?

Have been nursing a severe sore throat with hacking cough.
I have been on a antibiotic "Z" pack the last 4 days (one more to go).
Have had an antibiotic shot yesterday and this morning with a third scheduled for tomorrow. I also had a steroid injection the day of the first anti biotic shot.

And lastly a Rx for prednisone 10mg (3-3-3-2-2-2-1-1-1/day).

Significant improvements. The sore throat is gone. The menacing hacking what ever is in the throat with sinus drainage remain...all better than a couple of days ago.

I am hesitant about taking the prednisone as the side effects probability is high (30+%). I am one who is easily affected by side affects. The predisone top issues headaches, the jitters and hard to sleep at night.

So this long medical litany is to seek any experience anybody has had with taking similar prednisone Rx.
I know everybody is different and all that. I am just looking for how differing folks have tolerated or not the prednisone routine.
And there is a big difference in short term use (like this one) VS long time users.

Thanks.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:08 PM
fw102807

Weren't you supposed to take the prednisone with the antibiotics? If you google prednisone and antibiotics you will find several articles about the pros and cons and side effects.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:08 PM

You probably went to an Urgent Care to get checked out. Every time we went they also subscribed the prednisone, We never took it. For us the Z-Pack and the shots were always enough.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Last edited by John_W; 04-15-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:16 PM
Sage

I have an autoimmune disease that my rheumatologist had me take daily 5mg. of prednisone but if I had a flare to take 10mg per day. I did that and this past year had an attack of diverticulitis, a skin infection and the "creme de la creme" a rapid weight gain of about 30 to 35 lbs. I saw my pcp and later a new fheumatologist. I was told that prednisone can be a conduit to infections as well as cause weight gain. I also had a couple of other unwanted side-effects with it too. Anyway, I stopped that protocol and within a few weeks the infection subsided and I began to lose the lbs again ( but was also doing low-carb eating). My new rheumatologist said the goal that I should be with now is never to go on steroids again. Not sure how my original issue will be addressed but we'll take it one thing at a time. On another thread someone talked about being sensitive to drugs and I'm one of those as well. I had to stop statin drugs (because of that) plus a handful of others as well. Drugs can be a miracle for "some" people but not necessarily for all.
Old 02-10-2019, 08:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I've been on between 10 to 20 gigawatts of Prednisone a day for a breathing problem and a problem with pain in one arm.

New Jersey Doctors would normally give you the cough medicine with something in it that was heavy duty that would knock you out. I prefer Prednisone by far. It opens up my breathing within a half hour. It has also helped with the pain in my arm and is better than taking something stronger.

The only drawback for me is it makes you a Grocery Destroyer otherwise no side effects for me. Good Luck, hope you feel better quickly.

The start of the symptoms you described have halted since the Big Florida Move. My Dr started me on Montelukast which I take every day and it has helped me greatly. The only time I've gotten really sick is after the Flu Shot.

Last edited by Nucky; 02-10-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
prednisone, throat, side, long, taking

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.