Prep for colonoscopy

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2013, 06:32 PM
Veteran member
Default Prep for colonoscopy

I know we don't like to talk about this but we all have to do it. Has anyone vomited with the preparation for this procedure??
Old 04-23-2013, 06:53 PM
Sage

Only out my backside!!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 06:55 PM
Location: Formerly Village of Gilchrist, now Pensacola Villas

Close......it's a gagger! Stay close to home......better yet, stay close to you know where! The prep is 10 times worse than the procedure.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:59 PM
KatieDidNot

Absolutely! It was awful, but I got enough down and was able to get through the procedure. The second time I had one they put me on a three day clear liquid diet and I only took the pills, so there are options.

Katie
Old 04-23-2013, 07:04 PM
Email Reported As Spam

I was advised to use a straw, and use very cold water, drink it down as quickly as possible....I got through it, without throwing up, but I really like that idea of just drinking liquid for 3 days. As a friend of mine reminded me....white wine is a clear liquid! JUST kidding!!!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

call your doctor if you do not get enough of the prep in the procedure will not go well
Old 04-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Veteran member

No problem at all. My doctor told me to mix the powder with water and then add Crystal Light powdered flavoring. The whole batch will taste like iced tea or lemonade. Ask your doctor about this.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayschic View Post
No problem at all. My doctor told me to mix the powder with water and then add Crystal Light powdered flavoring. The whole batch will taste like iced tea or lemonade. Ask your doctor about this.
I used this same product with NO PROBLEM< second time around.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:20 PM

Had one this past September and my doctor didn't use that stuff..............just several dulcolax twice the day before (10 a.m and 6 p.m) plus 2 bottles of magnesium citrate (you buy at Walgreens) in the evening. Works great and way better than that powder stuff. You can have lemon jello and broth that day also. No 3 day liquid diet required. All just the day before. You should ask your doctor about allowing you to do the above. Some who do that powder stuff don't get fully cleaned out.....then they make you come back in another year or 2 because the readings weren't that good.

Last edited by aussiemom; 04-23-2013 at 08:25 PM. Reason: add to
Old 04-23-2013, 08:38 PM
Location: The Villages, FL; Wayne, NJ; Boca Raton, FL; Oakland, NJ

Most doctors have stopped using the pills because of bad side effects. Drinking the liquid can be less offensive if you mix with cold water and use a larger straw (same type as McDonalds) placing it to the rear of your throat. This allows you to ingest large amounts without crossing your taste buds! Not too bad... best of luck.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:53 PM
Platinum member

I've had the procedure twice. The second time the prep was a couple Ducolax then Miralax mixed in Gatorade. Much more tolerable than whatever I had to do the first time.

That which does not destroy you, makes you stronger- Nietzsche
Old 04-23-2013, 08:55 PM

I just had my second one and it was so easy compared to last time. This time the Doctor told me to just get 3 small bottles of flavored magnesium citrate at the drugstore. I chose like a lemon flavor or similar. Put it in the fridge to get cold and used the large straw method described earlier to the back of the throat. I was dreading it and really it was easy this time! As far as the procedure you don't feel anything and there is no pain involved. There are much worse procedures out there and this one is one of the few preventative things to have done that can save your life!
Old 04-24-2013, 04:42 AM
Sage

I had my first colonoscopy this past November. Twice the night before (6:00 p.m. and 9:00 p.m. and once the early morning (about 6:00 a.m.) of the colonscopy I had to drink 8 ounces of a slightly bitter tasting liquid then another 48 ounces of cold water, all within 60 minutes. Chugging that much liquid in 60 minutes 3 times was not that easy, but I kept at it.

This probably is not news, but once you start chugging the liquid you will need to stay close to home if you get my drift.

The prep was not as bad as I imagined it would be, and the procedure itself it a piece of cake as you will be asleep. I even drove myself home from the hospital, even though I had my dad with me as my designated driver. As I could only drink broth and clear liquids the day before the colonscopy, and it was 3:00 p.m. when I left the hospital to go home, I was starving by the time I got home!

And I am good to go for another five years! Yeah!
Old 04-24-2013, 06:08 AM
Sage

1st one I had years ago was that gallon jug of nasty liquid! BUT the last time the doctor (this was up north) RX'd a 4 oz. stuff. BOTH had the same results of needing to be near the john.

After my 2nd procedure (mentioned above)---I even got to have a nice breakfast in the recovery room prepared by the hospital chef. Too bad ALL hospitals don't serve such great fare as this!!!
Old 04-24-2013, 06:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

One thing for sure. When you are finished with the prep you will no longer be full of....

I mean...You will be clean as a whistle, inside and out.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.